LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Who wants to relocate the alternator and KEEP the AC??? IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 06:34 PM

Who wants to relocate the alternator and KEEP the AC??? IN HERE

http://dreamer1q.michiganspeed.com/MVC-004S.JPG
http://dreamer1q.michiganspeed.com/MVC-005S.JPG
http://dreamer1q.michiganspeed.com/MVC-006S.JPG

First let me say that I make this post with the approval of the admins.

Ok, heres the deal, I need 5 people willing to step up for the deal to work. Here is a quote from my car club site that explains in a little more detail the situation.

This is for a set of brackets that will relocate the alternator on the LT1 engine to the drivers side of the engine where the AIR pump normally is mounted. You will be able to keep your power steering, as well as your AC, unlike any other relocation setup available anywhere. The parts will be CNC machined out of 1/2 plate aluminum. The final product will be available in satin, polished, powdercoated any color, or chrome plated. This will be a bolt on design, no cutting of the stock mounting bracket will be required. The only cuts that will be made are to the alternator wires to lengthen them to reach the other side of the motor where the alternator will now be. The system will still use a standard 6 groove serpentine belt for all accesories. This is not some shoddy piece of steel plate holding things together. This will be a show quality, engineered product by a company local to me that has over 40 years of experiance in doing stuff like this. The product will also come with a guarantee. If you have any problem with the setup, the company making the setup will refund you the total purchase price. The final product will be mocked up on my 1994 LT1 from my Camaro. They are taking the entire cradle assembly with the motor mounted on it and using it for the R&D portion of the project. I will personally be running one of these setups. So dont think you will be a guinea pig. I am also not making a single dime on this project, I just see a need and think I can help. Plus I want to move my alternator as well. In order to get the project off the ground, I need a minimum of 10 people who are willing to ante up half of the purchase price. That is 100 dollars. This will cover the costs of the CNC and CAD designs to get the product done. I am being told a wait time of 4 to 6 weeks from the time I hand them the money till the time these should ship out. Obviously this can move up or down, this isnt exact science we are playing with. But the obvious bonus to this setup compared to others is the lack of a core charge and the ability to drive your car right up until the day the setup arrives. So that eliminates the need for a rushed build. Once the setup is done and has been tested, you will need to send in the other half of the purchase price, another 100 dollars. So for a total of 200 dollars you will have power steering, air conditioning, the ability to change valve covers to whatever you want, and you will have a show quality CNC machined part on your car. This will be of the caliber of what GM should have done in the first place. For those of you curious about the people doing the project you can see their homepage and some of the other projects they do HERE. Please feel free to post up any questions you have here, and I will do my best to answer them. I want to get this locked down and into R&D by then second week of Febuary. Sooner would be nice. Also please feel free to link this forum to anyone who would be interested in doing this.
Please feel free to ask your questions and I will do my best to answer them. Otherwise, I need 5 people. Everybody always yells about not having this option, heres a chance to fix it.

Q

dreamer1q@michiganspeed.com

Last edited by dreamer1q; 02-27-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:00 PM

CRAP! Thats what I have been waiting for, but I dont know if it will work for me! Depends on how low it mounts, it might be in the way of my turbo exhaust routing. Ill have to wait and see pictures to see if it will clear.

Kyle
Old 01-12-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by ElkyRacer
CRAP! Thats what I have been waiting for, but I dont know if it will work for me! Depends on how low it mounts, it might be in the way of my turbo exhaust routing. Ill have to wait and see pictures to see if it will clear.

Kyle
Yes, it will be low on the drivers side. Figure the air pump plus some lower. If you have stuff there now, it might not fly for your application

Sorry
Q
Old 01-12-2004, 08:00 PM

What about us supercharger folks

Originally posted by dreamer1q
Yes, it will be low on the drivers side. Figure the air pump plus some lower. If you have stuff there now, it might not fly for your application

Sorry
Q
Old 01-12-2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Rodrigues
What about us supercharger folks
Yeah right, your moms hairdryer dont count Pattycake
Old 01-12-2004, 08:46 PM

Count me in!!! Now I will finally be able to put some nice looking valve covers on.

I'll worry about the turbo placement when I get to that bridge.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Grover
Count me in!!! Now I will finally be able to put some nice looking valve covers on.

I'll worry about the turbo placement when I get to that bridge.
Sounds good Chad, I put you on the list.

4 more to go.........
Old 01-12-2004, 08:57 PM

I am also interested. What is the cost of this brackets?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2004, 09:00 PM

sounds like something i would definetly want, but not in the market for right now........finding 5 people shouldnt be a problem though.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Bora
I am also interested. What is the cost of this brackets?

Thanks
I outlined it in the post above. 100 dollars up front for the inital cost of making it, and 100 dollars when it is ready to ship.

Q
Old 01-12-2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by got_hp?
finding 5 people shouldnt be a problem though.
Harder then it sounds so far
Old 01-13-2004, 05:29 AM

Page 1 please.....
Old 01-13-2004, 11:04 AM

I am amazed that more people dont want one of these. All I ever hear is people complaining about how it is unavailable and yet when a soultion is found, nobody steps up. Come on guys, this is for real. No jokes, no false promises. 5 people, 5 brackets, AC is retained, and alternator is moved. There has got to be 3 more people who want this.

Q
Old 01-13-2004, 11:26 AM

I apologize up front if this sounds like a retarded question, but, what are the advantages of moving your alternator? Why would you want to do this?
Old 01-13-2004, 11:44 AM

A few reasons that I can think of would be:
  • Easier plug access for #2 cylinder
  • Ability to install any aftermarket center bolt valve cover without having to beat the front of it in for the alternator to clear.
  • Would create a nice space to mount nitrous solenoids.

Quick Reply: Who wants to relocate the alternator and KEEP the AC??? IN HERE