Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Racetronix Fuel Pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:10 AM

Racetronix Fuel Pump issues

I'm trying to install my new racetronix fuel pump, but the bottom of it where the o-ring is at is larger than the racetronix pump I pulled out. It won't fit down into the bucket because of it. The old pump fits just fine. I'm talking to Racetronix / Thunderracing to see what they want to do, but so far not having any luck with them. My buddy put one in about 1.5 years ago and didn't have any issues, plus my old one fit. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, I'm getting frustrated with them.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 AM

Man, things don't get much attention in this section. Thought I would give an update. Between talking to Thunderracing & Racetronix, Thunderracing is sending me out a new pump. Racetronix is thinking it's a tolerance issue that happened out of the ordinary. I'll update when I get the new pump. P.S. Angie @ Thunderracing has been very helpful in trying to get this resolved for me. I've done business there for a while and will continue.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:14 PM

There's been a lot of issues of Racetronix pumps not fitting the buckets. For one thing, they sent pumps that had a center outlet and not an offset one and a lot of people had issues getting this to work. There's some history to this. Not sure if you have a different problem - There is a new Walbro pump that is offset like the original, and if you didn't get that pump in your kit, then you got an old one.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM

No, that wasn't the problem, it just wouldn't fit down in there because of the diameter of where the o-ring fits. They sent me a new one, but even that one had to be modified a touch. Diameter was right, but had to dremel the lip from the mold, I assume. We'll see if it works now.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
There's been a lot of issues of Racetronix pumps not fitting the buckets. For one thing, they sent pumps that had a center outlet and not an offset one and a lot of people had issues getting this to work. There's some history to this. Not sure if you have a different problem - There is a new Walbro pump that is offset like the original, and if you didn't get that pump in your kit, then you got an old one.
That is odd. Do you have any pics or anything of the non-fitting pump?

Rich
Old 04-01-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
That is odd. Do you have any pics or anything of the non-fitting pump?

Rich
It's the one with the hole in the middle and not offset like the stocker. It can be made to fit, which I did with mine - basically jammed in there, but it was always crooked and I never had the confidence that it was in there right. I'll look to see if I have pics when I get home. At the time that I did mine, it was on a Saturday and I was practically in a panic about the way it was fitting, worried that I would have top put it all back together again with the original pump.

I have a whole different system now, and I was glad to get that one out of there.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 04-01-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 PM

I sent mine back and got another one, it had some minor fitment issues but nothing that wasn't fixable. It ended up fitting in there correctly.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Here's pics of when I did the install the first time

This stock pump with the offset fit great in the corner of the bucket

This replacement one with the center inlet had to be jammed in there crooked to get the inlet in the hole in the bottom of the bucket and I was never happy about that. It did work with it in there like that for several years.

He're's the home made setup I have now

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 04-08-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM

I just got a Racetronix Fuel Pump and had the same problem. when i tried to put the pump into the bucket, Where the the Bottom on the White O ring and the Small round whole with a Screen it, The size of the new pump is bigger then the stock one, The pump does sit in there straight, but i only could push it down in the whole maybe 1/8" of in inch, also when i got the kit it was missing the filter and the harness was missing the pnp connectors and body ground kit. So now i am waiting for the new parts to come in. am hoping the is pushed in fair enough on the bucket, if it is not will it cause any problems? I have the bucket all glued up and i can not pull up on the pump and it does not move.

Last edited by camit282; 04-06-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:47 PM

I couldn't say whether it will all right or not, but I wanted mine to fit down in there right.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 AM

Seems to me that ought to be something the instructions address. If they don't, it wouldn't surprise me, though I still think it's something that should be covered IF the pump is intended as application specific replacement. If it's sold as a generic kit, maybe not. How do they pitch it, as something which is 4th gen specific or just a generic pump? Most parts seem to need various kinds of massaging. This is sometimes disappointing but unless they are marketed as "bolt-on" or something like that I guess it's to be expected. At times, I feel like I could have built the whole thing from scratch as easily as buying.

Rich
Old 04-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Racetronix pitches it as a OEM replacement, bolt on and go. Not quite.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 AM

holy cow! "also when i got the kit it was missing the filter and the harness was missing the pnp connectors and body ground kit."
mine was missing filter also yet they said they never saw that. got filter in 2 days.

go to install pump and NOPE! without oring it fit...with oring it would not! had tons of silicone and i man handled it to much and piushed it in and it cracked the hole where it mounts in..... now what?!?!

i called them and waiting for response back
Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 AM

I did my own pump conversion (purchased the pumps from Summit - Dual in-tank conversion) Those "kits" never do work out very good in my opinion. Do it yourself. You will be glad with self gratification of problem solving. Then you can post solutions on this site. B.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 AM

im disputing this on my visa, im out time, and a bucket since the pump broke it.

Quick Reply: Racetronix Fuel Pump issues