Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Eibach Drag launch vs V6 springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 11:41 PM

Eibach Drag launch vs V6 springs

Which springs help you hook up better. Im changing out my pro kit because their too damn low with LT's If I have to be up high, I might as well hook up. Which spring would be the best for the $$. If the V6rs arnt as good, how would they compare with my 100k mi stock springs that I still have? I want at least stock height, and hooking ability.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Administrator

I do not have a quantifiable answer for you. However you are comparing a product designed and marketed specifically for drag racing with a stock product with 100k on it. Shocks are anothe rhuge factor when it comes to launching and I did my shocks and springs at the same time.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:52 AM

Having used a set of V6 springs in back I have two comments:

1) 93-97 V6 springs are the ones to use, the 98+ ones are the same rate as V8 cars.

2) V6 springs in the back in my opinion are great for cars that don't have adjustable shocks. Once you get QA1's for front and back it's time to go back to V8 springs. Back when I had ET Streets but no drag shocks, I used 95 V6 springs in back, and was 60ft'ing better than other cars similarly modded at the same time at the track. But drag shocks ultimately work better, the V6 springs are just a good low buck way to help a car hook by making the rear squat a lot more.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:04 PM

Can you still get the V6 springs (93-97) or did they stop making these and just stock only the 98+ style ?? I would like to get a set for my car.

JK
Old 12-01-2003, 02:08 PM

Just have to hit up V6 folks.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:43 PM

So is it all about the rear springs? I might put my stockers back on for a week or so to get me by. If the rears make the most difference, ill just do them later. If the fronts are important too, I want to put them in when I take the pro kit out.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by Josh'95Z28conv
So is it all about the rear springs? I might put my stockers back on for a week or so to get me by. If the rears make the most difference, ill just do them later. If the fronts are important too, I want to put them in when I take the pro kit out.
front springs and shocks will do the most to improve your launch by transfering the weight to the rear better.

V6 springs are just a bandaid for a suspension not set up for dragracing. They let the rear squat to soften the hit to the tires.
Ideally you want the front to come up and the rear to stay put so that the weight that is transfered pushes down on the tires and is not wasted just pushing the back of the car down.
It works for cars that don't want to go the full drag suspension and the compromised street handling that accompanies it.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by AL SS590 M6
front springs and shocks will do the most to improve your launch by transfering the weight to the rear better.

V6 springs are just a bandaid for a suspension not set up for dragracing. They let the rear squat to soften the hit to the tires.
Ideally you want the front to come up and the rear to stay put so that the weight that is transfered pushes down on the tires and is not wasted just pushing the back of the car down.
It works for cars that don't want to go the full drag suspension and the compromised street handling that accompanies it.
That helps. I was wondering about that. I noticed some people concentrating on the front, and some on the back.

How much is my handling going to suffer with the drag launch springs?
Old 12-02-2003, 10:56 PM

Running a soft rear spring might allow you to hit the rear tires hard, but they can also unload the rear and cause you to spin after the initial hit.

Daren
Old 12-02-2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Josh'95Z28conv
That helps. I was wondering about that. I noticed some people concentrating on the front, and some on the back.

How much is my handling going to suffer with the drag launch springs?
I have the QA1 12 ways and their drag springs. It's either a little bouncy or stiff. So I would imagine that one of the stiffer shock settings would be good for corners.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:18 AM

How about the actual ride hieght difference between stock springs and drag launch springs? How much higher does the car sit if at all?

Mike
Old 12-07-2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by OrangeIROC
How about the actual ride hieght difference between stock springs and drag launch springs? How much higher does the car sit if at all?

Mike
Mike, forget suspension, it doesnt matter how your car leaves the line so long as it gets out of my way when I go by.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:27 AM

I have the drag launch kit on my car and the front went down and the rear went up.
Not much in the front but quite a bit in the rear.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Administrator

My car appears about 1/4 inch higher than stock. The handling is fine with the springs, it is the shock setting and the lack of a front sway bar, and skinny front tires that will screw up the handling.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:43 PM

I had eibach drag springs on my car (only got to use them at the track for about 8 passes though) They definitely improved my launch, and took 2 tenths off of my time (on street tires) My ride height didn't change either. But to acheive that 1 coil was cut out of both rear springs.

Quick Reply: Eibach Drag launch vs V6 springs