General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

96 camaro drivers window removal...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 AM

96 camaro drivers window removal...

Ok so I replaced my drivers power window motor a while back...well seems after I did that the window no longer goes up or down right.. the window slides forward and backwards and wants to pull in our out... so guide it up with your hand and it goes up...

I did that a WHILE ago.. and now looking to fix it... I found out what I did... I broke the piece off that connects to the window frame. It is the piece that appears to be riveted on and rides in the track....

so the dealership wants $50 for a new one.... no biggie... but
how do you get the glass off? and put back on the new track?

also I can goto a junkyard which has 5 camaros in it right now...
I have a 1996 and they are 1994 and 1995's.... so hopefully same window track...

now my concern with the junkyard is how do you get the entire assembly out of the door? the riveted on nubb sticks away from the window by about 2" or so.... I know you need to remove the 2 bolts that hold the slide track.. then take that out and then move the window forward and backwards getting the rollers out of their tracks... so then the window will be free but in the door.....

my biggest concern is how to get this "thick" item out of the thin spot on top where the window comes out......

any assistance appreciated....
~Jeff
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 PM

damn too bad you didnt post this last week, the bracket im pretty sure you're talking about i threw one out last week that was brand new and came with my window motor, since i just unbolted the 3 bolts holding the motor to that braket, i didnt replace the bracket...

FWIW the motors at autozone come with the bracket, i paid $58 bux for my motor

and if that is the bracket you're referring to, it probably will come out the same way i got my window motor out, remove the speaker in the bottom of the door and you can slide the motor out from down there
Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Are you talking about the track that is rivited to the acutal window?,
Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by SevenStars
Are you talking about the track that is rivited to the acutal window?,

yes... and no...
the track isnt bolted to the window.... the part I am refering to is the piece the glass actually sits in.. the scissor piece with rollers slide into....

there is a piece that is riveted with like 1 rivet to the window track... then it goes into a track to hold the window from going forward and backwards.. also assists it in guiding up and down...

ill get a pic....
Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 AM

here are some pics...

shot of door where track goes up and down.. nubb piece rides in it...

nubb that is broken off of track

window track where nubb is supposed to be mounted to

so im going to clean it up tonight and try and weld it on there.... if it dont go then gotta call chevy and order a new one..... or goto the junkyard.....
Old 09-06-2007, 04:39 PM

That's the same piece that broke on mine. I replaced my entire window with one from a wrecking yard a couple weeks ago. There's enough room for it to come out and install with that piece attached. It should wobble some as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 PM

well it is fixed... drilled and tapped the nubb..... put window back in and bolted the nubb on... works like a charm...
Old 11-29-2019, 10:15 AM

Re: 96 camaro drivers window removal...

If I’m correct that part you’re referring to is the window regulator? Has a bearing that goes up and down the track right? I actually found one at my local junkyard this week, 12$ with Black Friday half off sale for regulator and attached glass. Wish I found earlier, it’s been rain in like crazy and my interior got flooded a few nights ago