LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Optispark Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:49 PM

Optispark Install

So I am replacing my opti this Wednesday, and I have several questions.
I have already ordered the distributor from Thepartsladi, and I have been looking around the web for writeups on installing the opti. Its for a 1997 z28 with ~ 89k on the clock.

So far I have discovered that I need the water pump gaskets as well as the opti seal. Is there anything else as far as seals that I need to buy?

On one of the websites, it said something about using loc-tite on the rotor? Is this necassary?

I need to replace a radiator hose, (since I am draining all the coolant out, figured now is a good time.) I already replaced the one going from the thermostat to the bottom right corner of the radiator.... and the one that needs to be replaced is the one from the water pump to the left side of the radiator, its number 14 on shbox's webpagehttp://shbox.com/1/95-97_hoses.jpg My question here is whether this is considered the upper or lower hose? I will be buying it at autozone, and they are clueless.

Is there anything as far as supplies that I am forgetting about?

And finally, is this a good writeup on the installation of the Opti? It will probably be the one I will use as a guide. http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47479

Last edited by camarolvr69; 03-17-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM

Having done the install 3 times now, I would definitely suggest getting a gasket scraper!! If the water pump has not been removed for awhile that is going to stick. I would also suggest putting gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket as extra protection. Is the water pump original? I know they are about $100 or so but if they start leaking you will be buying a new opti to go with it so you might as well spend that money now. I would also replace the seal in the time cover that goes to the water pump, it is easy and only a few bucks. Putting the opti seal in was a pain for me, I am not sure about other's experiences. Since the seal is so large it is hard to keep it centered while you are trying to tap it in, and I did not have a socket large enough. What worked for me was actually using duct tape to tape the seal to cover so that it was held in place and I could us both hands to hold/gentle tap the seal to get it started. Ok, for the moment those are my two cents worth, best of luck!!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 PM

No the water pump was replaced by the dealer a few years ago.
Thanks for the advice socal
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM

Check it very carefully nonetheless, especially where the weep hole is in the back/bottom. You will see that once its off, also check for play in the shaft. Couple more FYI's First time I did not replace the seal for the water pump shaft, and what happens is that the seal material hardens over time and once it is removes it does not seal properly anymore so oil goes spewing out between the seal, I noticed it right away once I cranked the engine and oil started leak on the ground. Also make sure that you put the connector shaft(goes between the output shaft from the timing cover to the water pump shaft. On my second tear down I was in a big hurry, did not keep it with all the parts, once I had it all back together I looked my work bench...yeppers sitting pretty.