LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lloyd Elliott Heads: PROBLEM??? HELP:confused:

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 AM

Lloyd Elliott Heads: PROBLEM??? HELP:confused:

Ok, I have a set of aluminum LE2 heads for my LT1. I was inspecting them before I get ready to install and noticed that the same exhaust port on each head (2 ports total) has been ported to the point that it has broken through the port wall and into the header bolt hole. I called Lloyd about this and he says that this is common when porting in order to get the numbers required and that it is not a problem. I have faith in lloyd and take his word for law as he would not have the reputation that he has if he were not open and honest. I have also read hundreds of reviews on his work and not come across the first negative comment. However, I would like to hear some reassurance to put myself at ease before I install these heads and experience driveability or durability issues.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 AM

what casting number is on your heads?? I have heard that the 97 with 571 casting (i think) heads have this problem because the head is thinner in this area. if he says it will be ok.. it will be ok. I dont see it causing much of a problem.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Yes, these are the 561 casting number heads. Lloyd said the same thing about the "meat" being less.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Use a little anti-sieze on the bolt, she'll be good to go! No coolant in that area. Another level of protection would be using a stud instead of a bolt, less chance of pulling those threads when installing or removing.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 PM

So, nobody thinks that I will experience any longevity issues because of this? This is not a daily driver and is not a strip car, this is in my '71 Nova cruiser. I don't want to run into an issue where I have to yank these heads in 50K-60K miles due to this issue.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:58 PM

I dont see that being an issue. Like the others said, just put some anti sieze and forget it.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:09 PM

That's quite... "Impressive". I sure would not want those heads on my car. Where else are they getting thin, and Llyod hasn't mentioned anything?

I can't say this is the first time I have heard of an issue like this with his heads.

Last edited by MrBuick (Magnum); 04-10-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by jwindh1
However, I would like to hear some reassurance to put myself at ease before I install these heads and experience driveability or durability issues.
Have you (or anyone else in this thread) seen or heard of the rocker arm stud threaded hole being exposed in the roof of the port after porting? Is this situation much different? The rocker arm stud is just that, a stud requiring sealer. I agree with the suggestion to use a stud in (at least) that threaded hole along with a sealing compound.

I don't see it as a major issue, questioning the need to open up the port to that degree notwithstanding. I'd be more concerned with the integrity of the threaded hole as it relates to clamping ability/reliability.

Last edited by arnie; 04-10-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by MrBuick (Magnum)
That's quite... "Impressive". I sure would not want those heads on my car. Where else are they getting thin, and Llyod hasn't mentioned anything?

I can't say this is the first time I have heard of an issue like this with his heads.
They are only "thin" in that one area of that port in each head. I spoke with Lloyd on the phone and he assured me that it is not a problem. Logically speaking, I don't see how it would be a problem, but it's just the principle of there being a hole in the exhaust port on a $1300 set of heads. If its ok, then its ok and I will run them as is.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 PM

arnie, IMO the bottom of a hole being open is different from the side being thin and open.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 AM

Hey man youll defineately be fine with those heads due to it being on the exhaust port side rather than the intake port side. The only thing it could do was maybe create some air turbulance and restiction which in your case you might loose a horsepower or two. Also just make sure that you use some bad *** lube none of that cheap **** it really makes a difference.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Slick-Z
Hey man youll defineately be fine with those heads due to it being on the exhaust port side rather than the intake port side. The only thing it could do was maybe create some air turbulance and restiction which in your case you might loose a horsepower or two. Also just make sure that you use some bad *** lube none of that cheap **** it really makes a difference.
When you guys say lube and never seize, I assume that "lube" is also never seize. Should I use a permatex thread sealant or a copper based high temp never seize?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:53 AM

This is the reason many folks prefer not to port 561 heads. I think you will be fine.

Last edited by wrd1972; 04-12-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jwindh1
When you guys say lube and never seize, I assume that "lube" is also never seize. Should I use a permatex thread sealant or a copper based high temp never seize?
Like the other guys suggested, try to put a stud in there, then you don't need the lube. You could locktite the stud if you wanted, as long as your headers fit over it when it's installed. If not, then skip the locktite and just turn the stud in after the header is on there. Either way, a stud is going to be better than turning a bolt in there. I suppose you could have a thread insert done on it, but then it would extend into your port a little and would have even less aluminum by the time it was installed so maybe that isn't a good option.

I'd be interested to see the matchup between your headers and that port.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 AM

Good idea. A stud.

Quick Reply: Lloyd Elliott Heads: PROBLEM??? HELP:confused: