2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: which car would you prefer?
G8 GXP
7.77%
5th gen Camaro
60.19%
id like to have both!
29.13%
neither at this point...
2.91%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

5th gen camaro vs new G8 GXP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Interior and overall style I presume..
I love the Camaro on the outside. The G8 isn't a slouch in the looks department but the Camaro definitely has it beat. I just think the inside of the car is shaping up to be a bit too....gimmicky....for my tastes. And that's the part I'm going to be looking at 90% of the time.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I love the Camaro on the outside. The G8 isn't a slouch in the looks department but the Camaro definitely has it beat. I just think the inside of the car is shaping up to be a bit too....gimmicky....for my tastes. And that's the part I'm going to be looking at 90% of the time.
IMO 2010 Camaro is one of the best looking cars that will be available next year. The G8 isn't far behind.

The interior from what I've seen is one of the more questionable areas of the car. I'll be very interested to see how it looks in production trim. We'll see in Sept.

Guess we're lucky to have the G8 to look to if the Camaro doesn't fit our likes or needs. Heck my father is waiting for the G8 ST.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM

The G8 will appeal top many because of the 4 doors and the Camaro will appeal to many because it is well... a Camaro. If the Camaro was just some other generic coupe with some plain design from Japan it would make a ripple only a Prelude would have. A coupe has to be special today when a sedan only has to be good.

The way I look at it the Camaro and G8 are like a Axe and a Saw both will cut a tree down just in different ways and both will be very popular inspite of the gas prices.

I think the G8 ST will suprise many.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:35 PM

well thanks for some input guys, i for one will be comparing the GXP to a mid level camaro very closely. cant wait to see both production versions.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:25 PM

The G8 obviously has a more "mature" characteristic about it, both in the appearance, category (4-door) and performance.

The Camaro is obviously a little more "in your face" on pretty much all accounts.

PERSONALLY, I'm still in the market for a performance coupe. However, the day I ever start creating offspring (look out! ) I would seriously consider the G8 . That way you can have your cake and eat it too ..... performance, style, class, and practicality, all mixed into one .

But for now, Camaro please!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:09 AM

I'd have both if I was rolling in dough, but for me I want a 2 door performance car right now. I'd trying to decide between the 5thgen and a used Vette, not a G8.

The G8 GXP is definitely hot though, heck even the G8 GT is hot as heck. Just not quite what I want at this stage.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Disciple

That G8 is one incredible looking car, ...I placed my vote, ...for the Camaro
Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

I want both!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 AM

Til the G8 comes in a 2 door version, this isn't even a comparison for me.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z

If two things are the same, that's when it's difficult to compare.

What differences, aside from simple styling stuff, would you expect between a G8 Coupe and a Camaro?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM

I'm not sure why this is a poll, and here's why.

First, the obvious. We're comparing a large 4 door sedan with a sports coupe.

Second, we're talking about 2 very different demographics. The G8's customer base is going to be older and more establ,ished than Camaro's, which will tend to be much younger and at the start of their careers.

Third, there's price. The G8 (much like the old Thunderbird Supercoupe and the last GTO) will tend to attract older people who are very much into sophisticated performance and are likely to know quite a bit about their cars. They tend to want something comfortable and somewhat luxurious as well as quick and very well handling. G8 starts at $27K, Camaro will start around 20.

Even though I would consider both if I was buying a car today, and both were available today, the final decision would be on what I'm going to use the car for over what a preference is. If I need 4 doors and plan to cover long distances, the G8 GT wins hands down. If I intend to carve up Highway 1 on weekly trips for 1 or 2 down to Big Sur or Santa Barbera from San Fran, then Camaro might edge the G8 out.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
It did, it was called a GTO
Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I'm not sure why this is a poll, and here's why.

First, the obvious. We're comparing a large 4 door sedan with a sports coupe.

Second, we're talking about 2 very different demographics. The G8's customer base is going to be older and more establ,ished than Camaro's, which will tend to be much younger and at the start of their careers.

Third, there's price. The G8 (much like the old Thunderbird Supercoupe and the last GTO) will tend to attract older people who are very much into sophisticated performance and are likely to know quite a bit about their cars. They tend to want something comfortable and somewhat luxurious as well as quick and very well handling. G8 starts at $27K, Camaro will start around 20.

Even though I would consider both if I was buying a car today, and both were available today, the final decision would be on what I'm going to use the car for over what a preference is. If I need 4 doors and plan to cover long distances, the G8 GT wins hands down. If I intend to carve up Highway 1 on weekly trips for 1 or 2 down to Big Sur or Santa Barbera from San Fran, then Camaro might edge the G8 out.
All excellent points Guy and I agree with you on alot but not that this should not be a poll. You yourself said that you would cross shop the two. blue 79 Z/28 said that he was cross shopping the two. I would as well if I wasnt so Camaro biased. They overlap yeah, but its a healthy overlap. Differentiated as you and others pointed out in this thread. Those differences doesnt mean that we including you as you mentioned cant cross shop them within the same company. Also because we cross shop them that doesnt make one or the other irrelevant as they are differentiated enough.

This isnt directed at any one person, but I get a kick out of people telling other people that noone is going to cross shop two vehicles because of their perspective of what OTHER people are ALLOWED to cross shop. The most irritating one was when I started a thread that my brother WAS cross shoping the G8 and 335i. The thread was pepered that BMW owners were yuppies with no regaurd for how much money they spent. That someone considering a G8 couldnt possibly afford BMW and therefore it shouldnt have been a poll. All of the posts either ignored or didnt believe that the thread started with my brother actually considering and still considering both.

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

If two things are the same, that's when it's difficult to compare.

What differences, aside from simple styling stuff, would you expect between a G8 Coupe and a Camaro?
I could be wrong but I think he was saying that for him personally hes looking for a 2dr Camaro type car and therefore wouldnt even consider the sedan

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 05-22-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:22 PM

If these gas prices keep going the way they are its going to be a poll between a smart car and a moped.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 PM

I would have to say CAMARO. It's an American Icon

Quick Reply: 5th gen camaro vs new G8 GXP