2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

AE on the Camaro:it's about the V6.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:56 AM

Re: AE on the Camaro:it's about the V6.

FOR RELEASE: 2006-05-18

GM Powertrain Unveils 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With Direct Injection

Latest offering promises significant horsepower and torque increases, dramatic hydrocarbon reductions, improved fuel economy

PONTIAC , Mich. – GM Powertrain announced today it will deliver a 3.6-liter V-6 gasoline engine with direct injection and variable valve timing (VVT) technologies in the 2008 model year. A vehicle application will be announced later in the year.

Additionally, it was forecast that by the end of 2008, GM will produce as many as 200,000 vehicles globally with direct injection technology, and by 2010, GM projects one out of every six GM vehicles in North America will be equipped with a direct injection engine.

The application of direct injection technology to the 3.6-liter VVT engine – a member of GM Powertrain’s family of high-feature V-6 powerplants used on cars and trucks around the world – contributes greatly to a 15-percent increase in horsepower over the current levels that range from 240 to 267; an 8-percent increase in torque, and up to a 3-percent improvement in brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC). An approximate 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions is also achieved.

With direct injection, precisely metered fuel is delivered directly to the combustion chamber, which has a cooling effect in the chamber. Cooling the incoming air charge enables a higher compression ratio, which also improves engine efficiency. Less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower of a conventional port injection combustion system.

“The 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection will be our highest specific output non-turbocharged V-6 engine, as well as one of the most fuel-efficient offerings in our high-feature family,” said Tim Cyrus, chief engineer for high feature V-6 and Northstar V-8 engines. “It’s the latest example of our strategy to continue to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy without sacrificing performance.”

This is GM’s third engine with gasoline direct injection. The announcement of the 3.6L VVT V-6 with direct injection comes on the heels of the introduction of GM Powertrain’s Ecotec 2.0-liter four-cylinder Turbo engine with direct injection on the 2007 Saturn Sky Red Line and Pontiac Solstice GXP roadsters. Also, since 2004, a naturally aspirated Ecotec 2.2-liter direct injection engine is equipped on Opel models in Europe.

How direct injection works

Direct injection differs from the fuel delivery process of a conventional engine by delivering fuel directly into the engine cylinder, where it is mixed with air. The combustion process of conventional fuel injected engines uses air and fuel that partially evaporates in the intake port or intake manifold prior to being introduced into the combustion chamber. Direct injection is a continuation of the evolutionary process of moving the fuel introduction point closer to the cylinder to improve control.

With the 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection, fuel is introduced directly to the cylinder during the intake stroke. As the piston approaches top-dead center, the mixture is ignited by the spark plug.

The fuel injectors are located beneath the intake ports. The intake ports only transfer air, unlike port fuel injection, which flows air and fuel, thus increasing efficiency. D irect injection also permits a slightly higher compression ratio than if the fuel were delivered with conventional fuel injection. The result is better fuel consumption at part and full throttle. The engine uses conventional spark plugs similar to other high-feature V6 engines.

A high-pressure, returnless fuel system is employed. It features a high-strength stainless steel fuel line that feeds a variable-pressure fuel rail. Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel injected engines and an engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 1,740 psi (120 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle – approximately 508 psi (35 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The exhaust cam-driven high-pressure pump works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump.

Direct injection’s fuel delivery enables very efficient combustion to help reduce emissions, particularly on cold starts – the time when most tailpipe emissions are typically created. Also, direct injection permits a higher compression ratio – greater than 11.0:1 in the case of the 3.6 – which has a positive influence on fuel economy.

3.6-liter VVT DI

The 3.6-liter VVT DI is based on GM Powertrain’s sophisticated 60-degree dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-6 engine. It is the latest member of a growing family of GM Powertrain V-6 engines developed for applications around the world, drawing on the best practices and creative expertise of GM technical centers in Australia, Germany, North America and Sweden.

Features found on the 3.6-liter VVT DI include:

Aluminum engine block and cylinder heads
Dual overhead cams with four valves per cylinder and silent chain primary drive
High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump
Advanced multi-outlet fuel injectors developed to withstand high pressure and heat
Stainless steel, variable pressure fuel rail
Four-cam phasing (VVT – see description below)
11.3:1 compression ratio
Aluminum pistons with floating wrist pins and oil squirters
Polymer coated piston skirts
Forged steel crankshaft
Sinter-forged connecting rods
Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles
Electronic throttle control with integrated cruise control
Coil-on-plug ignition
Advanced direct injection capable engine control module (ECM)
Optimized exhaust manifolds with close-coupled catalytic converters
Fully isolated composite camshaft covers
Outstanding noise, vibration and harshness control
Maximum durability with minimum maintenance
Common manufacturing practices for efficiency and exceptional quality
Four-cam phasing

The 3.6-liter V-6 VVT DI employs four-cam phasing to change the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (maximum horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response and driveability. When combined, direct injection and cam phasing technologies enable an unmatched combination of power, efficiency and low-emissions in gasoline V-6 engines.

Cam phasing pays big dividends in reducing exhaust emissions by optimizing exhaust valve overlap and eliminating the need for a separate exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system.

By closing the exhaust valves late at appropriate times, the cam phasers allow the engine to draw the desired amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber, reducing unburned hydrocarbon emissions. The return of exhaust gases also decreases peak temperatures, which contributes to the reduction of oxides of nitrogen (NO x) emissions. In tandem with the dramatic 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions brought on by direct injection, the 3.6-liter VVT DI V-6 surpasses all emissions mandates, and does so without complex, weight-increasing emissions control systems such as EGR and air injection reaction (AIR).
Old 05-18-2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
The application of direct injection technology to the 3.6-liter VVT engine – a member of GM Powertrain’s family of high-feature V-6 powerplants used on cars and trucks around the world – contributes greatly to a 15-percent increase in horsepower over the current levels that range from 240 to 267
So we're looking at up to 307 HP for the direct injection 3.6? Not bad. That would make a great motor for the Camaro, provided it is cheap enough. I have a feeling though that it will be reserved for GM's upper-echelon cars like the next CTS, V6 STS/SRX, and Buicks.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
So we're looking at up to 307 HP for the direct injection 3.6? Not bad. That would make a great motor for the Camaro, provided it is cheap enough. I have a feeling though that it will be reserved for GM's upper-echelon cars like the next CTS, V6 STS/SRX, and Buicks.
Afew months ago, I would have agreed with you - but now I'm not so sure.

If the only goal is a cheap, base, prime mover, then the HVV6 makes sense.
But I believe that GM wants the base car to be to be abit more polished...not simply a 'throw away' model.

Also, the next gen HF V6 will have some definite emissions advantages over the HV....not a small consideration as we go forward.

Which horsepower version would Camaro get? Probably somewhere between that 307 you mentioned, and the 255 in my CTS.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:49 AM

This direct injection 6 is EXACTLY what the Camaro needs. They won't be able to build them fast enough! And I'd be willing to wager that is exactly what's coming. Camaro might even be the car to premier this engine. I think Camaro is that crucial to GM's turnaround.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:54 AM

The Camaro may be shaping up to be a MUCH more refined vehicle than mustang. IRS, HO V6, killer looks (DON"T WATER IT DOWN GM!!!!!), it could be a mustang killer, even if it is a little more. If they can offer this kind of refinement, the ability to get into a decently equipped one for say $24,000, and still make it feel like a musclecar, look out!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
It didn't help sell 4th gens.
Ahahah.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DrewSG
An OHC engine in a Camaro. Times are changing!
Firebirds have had them, maybe now it's Camaro's turn

I think the HFV6 would be great base V6. Right away you have a 350Z competitor, except with your base version. If only the rest of the car wasn't so retro, you might have a chance at pulling in some import buyers and getting new customers in the showroom (but then again, why would Chevy want new customers? )

The other good thing about having the HFV6 base is that it will help erase the stereotype of Camaro being a low-tech redneck car. If the base engine (and chassis too) are as good as the best in the world it will help restore a lot of credibility. Especially when compared to that agricultural POS V6 in the Mustang.

I don't think the HFV6 should be a mid-level V6. It'll get lost in the shuffle: people on a budget would take the HVV6; people with money will take the V8, and the HFV6 is left without a market. Plus if you have a pushrod V6 as the base, that's going to drag down the entire image of the car, much like it's done with the Lucernce and probably Aura.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:21 AM

It couldn't hurt either. With the Camaro looking to be shaping up pretty well in most aspects, why pull punches on the powertrain? Do you really think GM should stick a weak v6 in the Camaro just because the Mustang currently has one. Besides, it isn't that much of an assumption to think that the Mustang v6 will be getting a boost soon.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:25 AM

I still say a V6 is less of an issue since the advent of AFM and 30mpg 400-hp V8s. Now show me a 300-hp V6 that gets 40mpg and we can talk, but otherwise...
Old 05-18-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by R377
I don't think the HFV6 should be a mid-level V6. It'll get lost in the shuffle: people on a budget would take the HVV6; people with money will take the V8, and the HFV6 is left without a market. Plus if you have a pushrod V6 as the base, that's going to drag down the entire image of the car, much like it's done with the Lucernce and probably Aura.
I could not agree more.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I still say a V6 is less of an issue since the advent of AFM and 30mpg 400-hp V8s. Now show me a 300-hp V6 that gets 40mpg and we can talk, but otherwise...

Shiot I would just cut my losses and take the 400 hp 30 mpg v8 over a 300 hp 40 mpg car still....
Old 05-18-2006, 02:36 PM

The 4.2L I6 is NOT "little" by any stretch of the imagination and it's made with the front differential sitting the engine oil pan on 4wd TB clones. TALL engine. The 2wd TB clones just have the holes from the axle shafts plugged off.

How you reengineer that engine to fit in a new Camaro will be interesting in itself...

The 3.5L I5 would be a better fit, but I guess I5's aren't sexy.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
GM, Chevrolet. Journalists were given yet another preview of the Camaro concept this week, but GM would not confirm that the project is a "go." We can confirm, however, that the make-or-break business case for the new Camaro won't be the 400HP V-8, six-speed version, because GM can do that car in its sleep and make it great - and that package is as close to being a "no-brainer" as you can possibly get. The real issue is the V-6 version, a car that must be worthy of the Camaro nameplate, first of all, and be premium in every respect - while delivering an outstanding performance/value equation vis-a-vis the competition. This is the car that GM must get right if the Camaro is going to be a success in the market. We'll stick by what we said immediately after the Detroit auto show, however: The Camaro is a done deal - GM is just making sure that it's every bit as good as people want it to be. And we'll probably get official confirmation of its production timetable by the fall.
I've been saying this since I 1st came to this site, and I've almost always been over ruled by the more neanderthal members of this site (I think it was Charlie that coined the phrase, the "engine-in-a-box" people).

1. It's NOT about a big powerful engine. The "More engine = More sales" theory lies in the grave with the 4th gen Camaro. It's about the car standing on it's own without needing a high performance version to sell it.

2. Base models ARE NOT for women. Guys on a budget, guys who can't afford the insurence, and guys like my uncle who used his new '68 Camaro 327 to commute from Monroeville to the Pittsburgh International Airport where he worked daily for years or my cousin who used his new '77 LT 305 as his daily driver in Akron. If you sold Camaros only to hard core drivers, Camaro would go under within a year.... they really lined up to buy the latter 4th gen, didn't they?

As mentioned, any boneheaded moron can put a high horsepower engine in a car & make it fast. But what makes a great car (and a great Camaro) is it's ability to offer alot of car for a little money and would make a guy (or gal) buying their 1st new car carrying memories of that car not just for their life, but the life of their relatives and friends.

It's my uncle's 68 327 Chevy and my cousin's '77 I have good memories of from my teenage years. Current Mustang V6s are bought by just about every segment that can drive, from 1st time 21 year old 1st time buyers to 60 year olds looking for stylish basic transportation (both my mom and dad... both 66... can see themselves with the Mustang). This is where Camaro needs to get back to.

I'm pretty enthusiastic about Camaro returning to it's roots as a highly stylish sporty coupe that everyone can live with instead of a 4 passenger Corvette that treats it's base model as an unwanted, adopted, red-headed, stepchild.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by AlfredB18
The 4.2L I6 is NOT "little" by any stretch of the imagination and it's made with the front differential sitting the engine oil pan on 4wd TB clones. TALL engine. The 2wd TB clones just have the holes from the axle shafts plugged off.

How you reengineer that engine to fit in a new Camaro will be interesting in itself...

The 3.5L I5 would be a better fit, but I guess I5's aren't sexy.
It is a tall engine. However, the 3.5L I5 is too. They are the same engine, basically, minus a cylinder. The 3.5L is shorter in length, front to back (by one cylinder), but it is the same block/head design, basically. They could affect the height by changing oil pan shape, but beyond that it is the same height as the I6.

I don't think either one will be showing up in the Camaro, though.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I'm pretty enthusiastic about Camaro returning to it's roots as a highly stylish sporty coupe that everyone can live with instead of a 4 passenger Corvette that treats it's base model as an unwanted, adopted, red-headed, stepchild.
Same here! Very well said.

True, but the V6 3800 in the 4th gen couldnt exactly "outrun" a Mustang GT, which is what Whitten was referring to. This V6 car is shaping up to be pretty badass for an entry level car. Finally, a Camaro that isnt a throw away model to be laughed at but a serious performer that can take on other similar performance cars like the G35, 350Z, RX-8, etc. Get someone into a car like that for their 1st or 2nd car and you'll hold em for quite a while, probably enough to upgrade eventually to the ultra-badass model or even into Corvette.

Last edited by SFireGT98; 05-18-2006 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: AE on the Camaro:it's about the V6.