2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

AE on the Camaro:it's about the V6.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:35 PM

Re: AE on the Camaro:it's about the V6.

Originally Posted by guionM
I've been saying this since I 1st came to this site, and I've almost always been over ruled by the more neanderthal members of this site (I think it was Charlie that coined the phrase, the "engine-in-a-box" people).

1. It's NOT about a big powerful engine. The "More engine = More sales" theory lies in the grave with the 4th gen Camaro. It's about the car standing on it's own without needing a high performance version to sell it.

2. Base models ARE NOT for women. Guys on a budget, guys who can't afford the insurence, and guys like my uncle who used his new '68 Camaro 327 to commute from Monroeville to the Pittsburgh International Airport where he worked daily for years or my cousin who used his new '77 LT 305 as his daily driver in Akron. If you sold Camaros only to hard core drivers, Camaro would go under within a year.... they really lined up to buy the latter 4th gen, didn't they?

As mentioned, any boneheaded moron can put a high horsepower engine in a car & make it fast. But what makes a great car (and a great Camaro) is it's ability to offer alot of car for a little money and would make a guy (or gal) buying their 1st new car carrying memories of that car not just for their life, but the life of their relatives and friends.

It's my uncle's 68 327 Chevy and my cousin's '77 I have good memories of from my teenage years. Current Mustang V6s are bought by just about every segment that can drive, from 1st time 21 year old 1st time buyers to 60 year olds looking for stylish basic transportation (both my mom and dad... both 66... can see themselves with the Mustang). This is where Camaro needs to get back to.

I'm pretty enthusiastic about Camaro returning to it's roots as a highly stylish sporty coupe that everyone can live with instead of a 4 passenger Corvette that treats it's base model as an unwanted, adopted, red-headed, stepchild.
Damn boy you are on today!! Couldn't have been said better!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I still say a V6 is less of an issue since the advent of AFM and 30mpg 400-hp V8s. Now show me a 300-hp V6 that gets 40mpg and we can talk, but otherwise...
Dude, you just aren't thinking, at all. You know, every guy or gal can't afford a $40,000 2 seater (2 for all practical purposes). Yeah, everyone on this board knows you can, according to you, but the MAJORITY of Camaro buyers either won't be able to, or won't want one.
What is being talked about here is putting a world class V6 in the base car. This type of quality along with a good interior and a world class chassis to boot are the things that will allow guys like you to buy what you want because the base car has got to be good for the car to succeed at all!
I want the V8 car myself, but I want twentysomethings to be able to get in a nice high performance V6 pony car because there will be a lot more of those guys than folks that want the V8. And later, when those guys are out of college a while and making good money, they'll move up to a V8 car and give the General some repeat business.
Wake up, dude, and pray for a killer base package!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
It is a tall engine. However, the 3.5L I5 is too. They are the same engine, basically, minus a cylinder. The 3.5L is shorter in length, front to back (by one cylinder), but it is the same block/head design, basically. They could affect the height by changing oil pan shape, but beyond that it is the same height as the I6.

I don't think either one will be showing up in the Camaro, though.
Joe were any of the Atlas engines, to your knowledge, tested on a slant like the BMW I6?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:48 PM

If the V6 comes with a good chassis, nice interior, and good gas mileage; price around 20k or under; people will buy. Yes the engine needs alittle kick; but really who's mom or basic V6 owners looking too beat V8's(not many). Yeah there are some out there, but the 3.6L seems like a ready to modification engine (other than the 3.8L).
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by downwithmustang
If the V6 comes with a good chassis, nice interior, and good gas mileage; price around 20k or under; people will buy.
20K............or..................under?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
20K............or..................under?
Alright what would you suggest?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:42 PM

It most certainly will not be under 20k, it wont even be near 20k, probably more like 22-23k base.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
It most certainly will not be under 20k, it wont even be near 20k, probably more like 22-23k base.
That might be true, but remember the V6 mustang is price from 19k-22k and 24K with conv top. So it would be crazy to price the V6 close to a V8 mustangs.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:09 PM

If the Camaro came in at $5 I bet they would outsell every other car.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
If the Camaro came in at $5 I bet they would outsell every other car.
2 for $5....and it would outsell every other car combined.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I'm pretty enthusiastic about Camaro returning to it's roots as a highly stylish sporty coupe that everyone can live with instead of a 4 passenger Corvette that treats it's base model as an unwanted, adopted, red-headed, stepchild.
I always thought for their time the 4th gen 3800 cars weren't bad at all. You could get them with a limited diff, they were cheap even brand new, and at the time most v6s at the market were making right around 200hp, only for more money.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by willz
Dude, you just aren't thinking, at all. You know, every guy or gal can't afford a $40,000 2 seater (2 for all practical purposes). Yeah, everyone on this board knows you can, according to you, but the MAJORITY of Camaro buyers either won't be able to, or won't want one.
What is being talked about here is putting a world class V6 in the base car. This type of quality along with a good interior and a world class chassis to boot are the things that will allow guys like you to buy what you want because the base car has got to be good for the car to succeed at all!
I want the V8 car myself, but I want twentysomethings to be able to get in a nice high performance V6 pony car because there will be a lot more of those guys than folks that want the V8. And later, when those guys are out of college a while and making good money, they'll move up to a V8 car and give the General some repeat business.
Wake up, dude, and pray for a killer base package!
I think your missing my point. The cost difference between engine packages is not as broad as you might think. Save for the hand built LS7, there isn't much of a cost difference between building a V6 or a V8 these days. The concept itself has been advertised as a 400-hp LS2 with 30mpg highway due to AFM. When you're only talking about a $1-3k build cost difference, I'm saying unless that V6 puts out 300-hp and gets 40mpg, its not going to have a huge advantage over the base V8, unless GM decides to do a little finagling with the MSRPs.

Furthermore, you don't want every twentysomething to be able to walk into a base Camaro. It all honesty you already have a high performance ponycar in the Cobalt SS. (Yes its not a V6, but hear me out. ) Back when the 3rd gens came out, I was in my late teens, as a twentysomething out of college with an engineering degree and a good paying job, I couldn't afford a new Camaro, even the V6 version. That's not the market GM is aiming for with the base Camaro nor has it been for over 20 years. I'm sorry if this upsets a few people around here, but those are just the facts. Yes a small percentage of twentysomethings will buy new V6 Camaros, and even a smaller percentage will be able to afford to buy a V8. But you're not the target market for this car.

But that's still not my real point. Do you you want the Camaro to be competitive in the market? Do you want it to succeed? All I'm suggesting is that we think outside the box for a moment. Just slapping in the cheapest V6 to get the base Camaro into the base V6 Mustange range isn't really healthy for the Camaro's survival. Picture this, a base V8 Camaro that puts out 100 more ponies than the V6 Mustang, yet it gets similar fuel efficiency due to modern technology. Even if this theoretical Camaro is priced $1-3k more than the Mustang, its going to sell. Please, please don't give me that BS about a V8 being more expensive to insure, as I have already proven that it is a myth. The insurance rates for a new model, which this will be, will initially be based upon the purchase price until a database is established. Just make sure your fellow Camaro buyers don't get into too many accidents.

The bottom line is, we don't need or want a cheap Camaro for the masses. If we go that route we're just dooming the old girl from the start and we may as well just kill her off now and be done with it. This car has all the potential to be a world class ponycar, not just an blue collar American ponycar. I want to see her soar with the eagles and not sitting on the ground with all the turkeys.

P.S. No I actually can't afford a $40K+ Camaro. However if that's what its going to take to get my next Z28, I'll find a way to afford one.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Furthermore, you don't want every twentysomething to be able to walk into a base Camaro. It all honesty you already have a high performance ponycar in the Cobalt SS. (Yes its not a V6, but hear me out. ) Back when the 3rd gens came out, I was in my late teens, as a twentysomething out of college with an engineering degree and a good paying job, I couldn't afford a new Camaro, even the V6 version. That's not the market GM is aiming for with the base Camaro nor has it been for over 20 years. I'm sorry if this upsets a few people around here, but those are just the facts. Yes a small percentage of twentysomethings will buy new V6 Camaros, and even a smaller percentage will be able to afford to buy a V8. But you're not the target market for this car.
Why would you not want ever twentysomething to be able to buy a new Camaro? That is ridiculous. The more sales, the better. If the price is kept down, then a new market for the car is opened up. THe Cobalt SS is one dumpy *** "ponycar". I see more older people driving them around then I would have expected to. I don't hear to many young guys talk about how great the supercharged SSs are. They usually just talk about how slow they are. The car did not build the kind of rep for itself that the SRT-4 has. Those things are often at the street races, or so I hear.

I would without a doubt take a rwd v6 Camaro over a Cobalt SS at a similiar pricepoint everytime.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 PM

i would as well. just the looks alone would have me sold over a cobalt.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Why would you not want ever twentysomething to be able to buy a new Camaro? That is ridiculous. The more sales, the better.
Wrong. To make it cheap and affordable for most twentysomethings could harm the image GM needs to create in order for the car to be successful.

Unless you think being associated mall hair, mullets and white trash is a good thing for the Camaro's survival.

Quick Reply: AE on the Camaro:it's about the V6.