2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

AE on the Camaro:it's about the V6.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:45 AM

Re: AE on the Camaro:it's about the V6.

Originally Posted by jg95z28
This is why I have always said that GM needs to build an SS version of the Aveo. I think they can easily do a supercharged or turbo version and sell it for under $20k. In fact I can't see why they can't do it for under $15k. It could become the ultimate pocket rocket, improve Aveo's image and sales, and give twentysomethings their own Generation Z halo car. (Go to town with the option list like Scion, etc.)
I can't believe I'm quoting myself, however:

Back when I was in my 20's Dodge made this neet little econobox with a turbo four that smoked bigger more expensive V8 cars. It was a cool car because it looked like the average small compact, but it packed a lot punch and it was cheap. The only reason I didn't buy one, is I was dead in love with RWD, and I wanted something that handled more like a Camaro and had similar styling. (The Dodge was a brick and was all about straightline acceleration. So I ended up with a Nissan 240SX fastback.) What I am suggesting is that a similar themed car today could be equally successful. It doesn't have to be the Aveo, but it needs to be an inexpensive car. Something where the base model is targeted at the first time buyer, but then they slap a turbo on the sporty version and offer tons of options on it.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:54 AM

No, I don't see it as a throw-away car. I'm begging the question. What is the point of a V6 car which costs about the same to manufacture as a base V8, yet has 100+ less horsepower and is only 2-5mpg better in fuel efficiency?
Because, again, manufacturers make you pay for horsepower, no matter how cheap it is for them to offer it to you. Why did CTS-V get a $20,000 price premium put on it over the 3.6 HF V6 CTS? The LS6 was probably no more expensive to produce than the OHC V6 motor....it's the premium you have to pay for all that extra power. They charge for it because they can. Offering a 400 HP, $30,000+ base Camaro sounds like a recipe for a niche car.

And I know in your case, insurance was no more on the V8 model vs. the V6. I wouldn't think that would be the case for very many people.

I seem to remember Scott saying something a looong time ago about the difficulty in offering a V8-only model. I forgot whether it was certification of some kind, or what...maybe he could answer that one.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:02 PM

With a DI HFV6 we are looking at anywhere in the range of say 275-325 based on different factors, like exhaust routing etc. Let's take 300 as a theoretical figure here...

Wouldn't it be nice to see a 350Z/G35, Camaro RS (V6), Mustang V6 (Pony Package) and perhaps even perhaps include the BMW 3 series coupe for the heck of it??

I would think that these are the types of good reviews that will allow the brand image of the Camaro to be brought up.. not the V8 model because as Gui rightly pointed out the V8 is the aspirational model. A lot of people still buy the V6 including friends of mine who were just starting out in college.. but they love my SS and it's V8 and always ask me to rev it when i'm around.

My point is that the V6 is very important as AE suggests.. if the V6 car has enough attention paid to it to reduce weight, balance that weight, have an inviting interior, partner the V6 with a capable, friendly transmission that makes the car fun to drive it could actually make the driver want to take turns in the thing and have a blast doing it.. THAT should be the V6 Camaros goal and it's ALL in the execution.

Let's not kid ourselves.. GM is going to deliver the best product for the money especially since they will need to compete directly with pressure from the Mustang, however they will need to do a better job of informing the consumer about the features available and perhaps have a few gimmicky items to lure consumers... this could be anything really.. (a T-Top specific package with 600watt sound system, or HID package with LED taillamps available, or maybe an 18 inch package on the V6 with specific design diff from the V8 models).. i'm just suggesting something crazy that be added.. you'd be surprised at the smallest detail consumers will crave..

other ideas could include:
- A Hard drive mixed with the radio to allow direct downloads from XM maybe
- short throw shifter package standard on anything above base trim. (maybe design it from the factory itself.. i'm sure magazines would run with this...
- optional momo.recaro seats on the top V6 level trim package
- special "track" package with few things.. lowered tighter suspension, bigger brakes and other small details... can't think right now... but you get the idea
- 4 levels of exhaust output sound.. (the engineers will have already worked out these details to get it "just right" so why not include some options for the consumer.. it makes a personal connection everytime they step on the gas.

What i'm trying to get at is that a LOT of people would like to do something unique to their car, but may not be able to either do it themselves (non gear-heads) or just don't want to get ripped off in trying to do it and would rather get it from the factory if available.. that would help roll it into financing too...

If these kinds of ideas or any other ideas helps separate it from the boring regular V6 camaro it would go a LONG way in making sure that 100K mark is tipped. Everyone would want a Camaro sure.. but it's the little things that will seal the deal.

Last edited by ced8; 05-20-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Because, again, manufacturers make you pay for horsepower, no matter how cheap it is for them to offer it to you. Why did CTS-V get a $20,000 price premium put on it over the 3.6 HF V6 CTS? The LS6 was probably no more expensive to produce than the OHC V6 motor....it's the premium you have to pay for all that extra power. They charge for it because they can. Offering a 400 HP, $30,000+ base Camaro sounds like a recipe for a niche car.

And I know in your case, insurance was no more on the V8 model vs. the V6. I wouldn't think that would be the case for very many people.

I seem to remember Scott saying something a looong time ago about the difficulty in offering a V8-only model. I forgot whether it was certification of some kind, or what...maybe he could answer that one.
Z28Wilson is on target with this subject. Some people dont want/need a 400hp coupe. The styling of the new Camaro is gonna sell it on its own merits so offering a base V6 engine is a must.

Say someone likes the looks of the Camaro, likes he/she can get a convertable, but decides not to because of the 400hp motor and the insurance rates AND the perception of horrible gas mileage. Not good. Not everyone wants a V8. Us hardcore guys do , but not everyone. Plus there are gonna be a ton of those "20 something year olds" that are gonna be in the market for this car whether its aimed at them or not (me included). Now they can get a Camaro for mid $20k, or else they'll happily give the local Ford, Nissan, etc. dealer their money.

"Base" really is the wrong word for the upcoming V6 Camaro. Makes it sound like a throw away car. From what it sounds like, the upcoming V6'er is gonna kick some serious a$$ in its market segment.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:41 PM

Actually it was a quote for my then 17 year old stepson, not me. And the V6 Mustang was $1000 a year more than the V8 Mustang GT. (Yes, I asked them to double check and even spoke to a supervisor about it.)

However, I was just asking the question. (Not that I think it's possible or practical.) Actually I'm throwing down the gauntlet. I want to see GM produce a 300hp V6 that does 40+mpg. If they can build a 400hp, 30mpg V8; then why can't they do a 300hp, 40mpg V6? (Maybe that would've been a better question to start with. )

Last edited by jg95z28; 05-22-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
At $2.50 apiece, I'd buy all of them.
As soon as you drove them off the lot you would only be able to get $2.25 resale value.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:46 PM

Picture this, a base V8 Camaro that puts out 100 more ponies than the V6 Mustang, yet it gets similar fuel efficiency due to modern technology. Even if this theoretical Camaro is priced $1-3k more than the Mustang, its going to sell.
i know what you are saying is about a v8, but every body seems to be saying build a quality car and if its better that the mustang it will sell even if it costs more. wasnt this the case with the 4G??? it didnt work then, why does everybody seem to think it will work with the 5G???

remember looks sporty and affordable, this is what youre average base model buyer is looking at, it dosnt have to actually be sporty, well maybe a little. these are not die hard fans were takling about here. they dont care about performance really. this is someone who will go with the cheaper car, even if the more expensive one looks or performs better. the cheaper one will be good enough for what they need it for. come on guys this is the exact thing the got the camaro killed in the first place.

with that said, take the supercharged 3800 mount it north south in the new camaro and you got a rocket.

If GM want Camaro to appeal to the non-core group, then the refined 3.6L HFV6 might win over a few non-GM owners. A turbo 3.6L would be absolutely nuts.
save that for if/when buick picks up the new RWD platform. T-Type/GN anyone???
Old 05-25-2006, 03:19 PM

If they can build a 400hp, 30mpg V8; then why can't they do a 300hp, 40mpg V6? (Maybe that would've been a better question to start with. )
I think that's a valid question. No one has been able to do something like that, yet. Coming up with a V6 like that would certainly do 100000000x more for GM as far as publicity goes than "oh look, the Camaro only comes with a V8 and a $30,000 base MSRP."
Old 05-25-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by loki99
save that for if/when buick picks up the new RWD platform. T-Type/GN anyone???
I would be totally shocked it Buick didn't get at least 1 sedan out of this RWD platform, though I wouldn't bet a dime on a coupe.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:36 PM

I am not in favour of such a powerful base engine. Perhaps a 3.2L HF with 250hp would be better. I worry that there would be no base v8.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:06 PM

Why can't they do a 200HP 50mpg I4?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Why can't they do a 200HP 50mpg I4?
I know you are kidding around, but most people on here on pay attention to the highway mileage a vehicle gets. I don't know about most of you, but not everyone I know has a 30 mile straight-shot highway commute to work everyday. Despite what mileage a v6 gets on the highway compared to a v8, it is going to get better city mileage. LS1 cars may get decent highway mileage, but they aren't going to win any awards for their fuel thirsty city mileage. Even when I drive mky car like a grandma (which isn't often), I never get about 17-18 mpg, hardly what I would call stellar.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Because, again, manufacturers make you pay for horsepower, no matter how cheap it is for them to offer it to you.
Exactly. BMW charges $6,000 bucks more for the 255 horsepower "330i" than the 215 horsepower "325i" even though both now use the SAME 3.0 liter inline six. The 330 just gets exhaust modifications and a different state of tune. I doubt that costs them $6,000.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:46 PM

I know this would never happen but it would be cool if they put in a RWD verion of the L68(i think thats the code) 3.8L s/c moter the Grand Prix has.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:27 PM

I think a ~300hp 3.6 DI VVT engine would go great as the base... It would be win-win.. So many cool cars so little money

Quick Reply: AE on the Camaro:it's about the V6.