2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

American Axle sends Camaro work to Mexico.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:30 PM

American Axle sends Camaro work to Mexico.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060920/1348381.html?.v=1
Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 AM

Re: American Axle sends Camaro work to Mexico.

Donovan estimated that 130 local jobs probably would have been involved in producing components for the Camaro, which is being introduced in the 2008 model year.
OK, so if american axle is starting plans to build the axles for the camaro and given the bold text, Is the Camaro still a MY 2009??? Isn't this one of the signs that the Camaro is closer than we think...

edit...missed this the first time...

Workers at GM's Powertrain plant in the Town of Tonawanda were still waiting this week to learn if they would be assigned to make the Camaro's engines
so...is it still a 2009???

Last edited by posaune; 09-21-2006 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by posaune
Is the Camaro still a MY 2009??? Isn't this one of the signs that the Camaro is closer than we think...
Yes, it'll be a MY2009, introduced in the YEAR 2008, but not "model year" 2008 .

Unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat, the Oshawa plant isn't going to be geared up for the new line until the old line stops production in 2008 and they change over for the new flex line. Basically looking at ~2 years from now (like they announced). It's probably one of the only pieces of "official" information that I think they might actually stick to .
Old 09-21-2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Yes, it'll be a MY2009, introduced in the YEAR 2008, but not "model year" 2008 .

Unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat, the Oshawa plant isn't going to be geared up for the new line until the old line stops production in 2008 and they change over for the new flex line. Basically looking at ~2 years from now (like they announced). It's probably one of the only pieces of "official" information that I think they might actually stick to .
Yes, but I was going off of the article which speciffically mentioned MY 2008. If production doesn't start for two years, would the plant info for the axles and the engines (subposibly next week according to the article) be out this soon???

It has been hinted many times that the Camaro is coming sooner than we think and that this type of news are clues for the actual time frame.

this is all my humble opinion
Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 AM

Yes, they'll be setting up all the contracts for who builds what well in advance of actual production. I know there are already talks with a couple local companies for contracts on interior parts like door panels, etc. Just because they're getting these things setup now, doesn't necessarily mean the car is coming out next year ... and I realize the article "said" MY2008, but I think that's probably an error in their reporting . I always rode the "early production / 2007 / 40th-anniversary" band-wagon, but since the official announcement(s) about the WHAT, WHEN and WHERE, I believe that the late 2008 production won't change (much).
Old 09-21-2006, 09:02 AM

Great, now we will have a bunch of Mexican built rear ends to replace.

Remember what happened to all the VW's that got made in Mexico, they are all pieces of ****.

This really pisses me off.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
You're a lot closer to the plant than I am but what I'm hearing is that work on the plant is starting already to consolidate the FWD production lines to make room for the ZETA line. They may be able to run simultaneously.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:19 AM

I believe they probably could run simultaneously, just depends on how many of each line they intend to build? I've got a friend that works there that may be able to give us some insight (he's a member on this board as well). I would still love to see a late '07 release so it could be classified as a 40th Anniversary car, but I really don't think that's going to happen. I haven't heard of any restructuring inside the plant YET though, but I'm sure it won't be long before they start gearing up for the change.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 AM

a supplier is setting up shop soon (they're hiring right now i heard)
Old 09-21-2006, 12:35 PM

Mexico?

The Mustang is already rediculously low on domestic parts content (for "America's Pony Car", anyway....) I believe it's something like 60%.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:43 PM

Thumbs down Re: American Axle sends Camaro work to Mexico.

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Mexico?

The Mustang is already rediculously low on domestic parts content (for "America's Pony Car", anyway....) I believe it's something like 60%.
I was thinking the same thing. Is anything on this camaro gonna be american made? If not they can keep it. Sorry for the rant. I'm just sick of seeing more and more things getting made outside of USA.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by camaro_guy_z28
I was thinking the same thing. Is anything on this camaro gonna be american made? If not they can keep it. Sorry for the rant. I'm just sick of seeing more and more things getting made outside of USA.
So am I, but don't blame GM, blame the UAW first, and blame the public 2nd.

The UAW has made it impossible for the Big 3 to produce an all american car affordably anymore. Import cars can be assembled here because their parts still get made cheaply, and then get assembled here by non-union employees.

No company in the country can build their stuff here for less money than they could have it done somewhere else, and with the number of imports on the streets and the number of people shopping in Wal Mart, it's obvious that the general public doesn't give a damn where their products come from, just as long as they are cheap. I'm all for keeping it all american, but in today's society of people that want everything as cheap as possible and don't give a damn about where the product comes from, virtually no company can offer a competetively priced product that's built here.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 AM

i was thinking more along the lines of...

Old 09-25-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by camaro_guy_z28
North America includes Canada & Mexico, so yes, the axles are American made... right along with Mexican assembled Hemi engines and a whole platoon of parts on US makes. Last Camaros were made in Canada, as are all Grand Prixs, Impalas, Monte Carlos, and most GM pickup trucks. Many of the electronics in todays cars are made in Asia... which is even cheaper than Mexico. Mustang uses alot of Mazda parts. Since Mazda key ower is Ford, the money is staying in the company.

In today's manufacturing enviroment, you need either cheap labor or government paid health care to compete. I fully expect to see most domestic automotive manufacturing to be done outside the US within a decade.

BTW: Mustang's key components (engine, body, most driveline components, assembly) are designed & made in the US. Most all of the non US parts are out of sight. The car is made in a plant owned jointly with Mazda (which Ford essentially owns) that makes domestic Mazdas, so it only makes sense to use the same parts where feasible.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 PM

That would be the Flat Rock, MI plant. Been there for some product training (I'm a Mazda tech). They only make the Mustang and the Mazda 6 there, as far as I know (at least last I was there). As an interesting side note, the Mazdaspeed 6 is made in Japan.

Quick Reply: American Axle sends Camaro work to Mexico.