2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Bob Lutz denies Production Camaro will be bigger than concept

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
that is what you are concerned about?
Not at all. I'm more concerned with my location and finances permitting me to afford the car. Now that I've received a promotion and temporarily have to relocate to Whitehorse in the Yukon for a year or two, I'm looking at a Next Gen Silverado. Once I get out of whitehorse, I'll be in a place that is... How shall I put it... Not crappy conditions to drive a Camaro in.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Great feature ... hope we get it!
i hope we do to, im freaking sick of going to the car wash then having to dry out my interior when im done
Old 02-27-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Glad you asked and not me!!

I wondered, but wasn't sure if that's what "indexing" was. I know exactly what that feature is ... a guy at work has a BMW that does exactly that. I thought it was a neat feature ... would be nice to see on the 5th-gen .

Basically, for those who don't quite understand, the window rolls up say, ~1/4 inch "higher" into the frame/seal around it. But if you tried to open the door, the window (being so far into the seal) would prevent the door from opening. SO, when you grab the handle, the window rolls down about ~1/4", out of the frame, and you can open the door. When you close it, then the window rolls up that extra ~1/4" and seals very well (which would stop how water can otherwise get in past the window seals on all 1st-4th Gen F-bodies ).

Great feature ... hope we get it!

I don't mind admitting my ignorance when it comes to stuff like this. Most people here (I'd be willing to say 99.9%) know more about cars than me.

This feature sounds nice, but what happens when the mechanism that works it malfunctions? You can't open your door?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM

Nothing happens if it breaks, it just makes it harder to get the door shut due to no air pressure release. But if it breaks you have other problems...namely not being able to roll the window up/down, because its just an add-on to the power windows.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:16 AM

My wife's 350Z has that feature and it's pretty cool! I haven't seen any sort of measurable that says it's better.....but it is cool!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I don't like the door handles - they're too heavy. I'm not buying it.

Bob
Old 03-07-2007, 06:37 PM

This should be interesting...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
I don't mind admitting my ignorance when it comes to stuff like this. Most people here (I'd be willing to say 99.9%) know more about cars than me.

This feature sounds nice, but what happens when the mechanism that works it malfunctions? You can't open your door?
The 05+ Mustang has this feature (short drop window)
Can't see the Camaro not having this feature... all frameless doors should have it.

If your battery goes dead, opening the door is easy... as the moulding will bend to allow the fully raised window to move out.
Closing it is the hard part, as the moulding is back in its original position.
(At least, that's how it is on the Mustang)

For winter storage, before removing the battery, I have the door open so the window is down the 1/4 inch...so that when the battery is yanked the door can close/open, as it stays in that 1/4" down position.

Feature makes a huge difference on window seal.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:00 AM

Glad I brought up a good topic for discussion!
Anyway, There are a lot of little things that should be standard on Camaro.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Ahahaha... you never know what will happen next? Id hate to see something tragic happen like...oh, the wheel base shrinking to 100 inches!!
It won't be shrinking.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by boomer78
The 05+ Mustang has this feature (short drop window)
Can't see the Camaro not having this feature... all frameless doors should have it.

If your battery goes dead, opening the door is easy... as the moulding will bend to allow the fully raised window to move out.
Closing it is the hard part, as the moulding is back in its original position.
(At least, that's how it is on the Mustang)

For winter storage, before removing the battery, I have the door open so the window is down the 1/4 inch...so that when the battery is yanked the door can close/open, as it stays in that 1/4" down position.

Feature makes a huge difference on window seal.
Not a fan of this yet.

On the Mustang it gives the illusion that the window is loose when you close the door. Sort of like how all frameless 70s era GM windows tended to loosen up over time and made that distinctive rattle when you closed the door.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:34 AM

Indexing isn't new. If I recall the BMW 850 series coupes from the mid-late 80s had this feature back then.

I think it would be nice. In fact, I think it would have been nice to see it on GM cars long before now, although the only cars left that could have benefitted after the G and B-body coupes departed were the F-bodies and the early Aurora and Riviera.

Hmmm, I remember that "distinctive rattle" now that you mention it - I know that I would have appreciated having indexing on my monte ss whose drivers side window would pop open when the speed got up over 50 km/h. And before anyone says it, yes, I adjusted the stops so that the glass came out a little more - it didn't really help.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:05 PM

On a completely different note, I wish I was important enough to have personal emails from Bob Lutz in my mailbox answering my questions...