2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro at '07 NAIAS

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepnreb
Um, no. Think the difference between a vette and a Z06 or since it is in my sig a CTS and a CTS-V. They could do alot with the grill and could offer some differences in the tail lights. They could do alot with paint schemes alone. The concept is a beautiful car, but at the same time it is a plain car. Just some subtle little changes will make it that much better, but I would be more than happy to drive it as is. If you do not agree, that is OK, we will not get ours confused in the parking lot.

On the wings, spoilers, ground effects, scoops and vents topic - You have to drive a 3rd or 4th gen to get into that crap. I have only owned a 1st gen (69).
Okay, just checking.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:38 AM

On the wings, spoilers, ground effects, scoops and vents topic - You have to drive a 3rd or 4th gen to get into that crap. I have only owned a 1st gen (69).
Ouch ...

... 1st-gens had rear spoilers
... 1st-gens had "ground effects" (chin spoiler)
... 1st-gens had hood scoops (rear facing, cowl induction)
... 1st-gens had vents (or at least, "look-a-like" vents, on the hood and in front of the rear wheels, ala. 5th-gen concept)

The only thing EXTRA on 3rd/4th gens is ground effects along the rockers and rear bumpers, but they're not even standard, only "optional" (typically, the RS package).

Would you like to retract that "crap" statement??
Old 11-04-2006, 11:59 AM

Um, no. Think the difference between a vette and a Z06 or since it is in my sig a CTS and a CTS-V. They could do alot with the grill and could offer some differences in the tail lights. They could do alot with paint schemes alone. The concept is a beautiful car, but at the same time it is a plain car. Just some subtle little changes will make it that much better, but I would be more than happy to drive it as is. If you do not agree, that is OK, we will not get ours confused in the parking lot.

Today you have just made history.....
You, Jeepnreb, are the very first person in the nearly 11 months since the Camaro concept was unveiled I've ever heard call it plain.

The visual difference between a CTS and CTSv is the wire mesh grille. The visual difference between the Corvette and the Z06 is an air scoop in the leading edge of the hood (coincidentally, just like the Camaro concept), so I really don't know what you mean here.

As the front changes to meet cooling & bumper requirements, and GM finishes tweaking the nose for the best aerodynamics, it isn't going to be exactly what the concept car's nose is, but you'd probally need a concept picture to know the difference.

But as far as hoodscoops, fat wheels, a rear spoiler, & those rims, thinking that the concept is the base Camaro is almost certainly a mistake.

Why would any manufacturer's concept represent a base model of a production car?

Showing the max possibility is what concepts are all about.

Save the 1991-2 Camaro Z28, I can't think of any Camaros that went that extreme.

But you just called the Camaro concept with scoop and spoiler plain, said the initially visually stunning 3rd and 4th gen Camaros had this as "crap". But yet you still want some more visual things on the 5th gen Camaro to make it a Z28. Don't know about anyone else, but this confuses the daylights out of me. And that's before the acknowledging that the only way to make the concept more agressive is to add those very ground effects, and even bigger spoilers, and bigger scoops that you say isn't your intention.

Lost me completely there, bub.

Last edited by guionM; 11-04-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The visual difference between a CTS and CTSv is the wire mesh grille. The visual difference between the Corvette and the Z06 is an air scoop in the leading edge of the hood (coincidentally, just like the Camaro concept), so I really don't know what you mean here.

There are few more differences. C6Z has rear fender brake vents. The front grille is also of a different design.

The most telling difference is that the C6Z has a wide body kit in the rear. Rear wheel fender flares are the main visual difference - needed to support the 18/335s in the rear.

This is a purely opinion statement, but the rear flares are what make the difference in the C6 look. To this day, I still have not completely bonded with the C6 look...however the C6Z with the flares looks hot - amazingly so.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
By the '08 NAIAS, there had BETTER BE something more "production - like" to look at!?

For this upcoming ('07) show, I'd like to see something closer to production, and/or a convertible, and/or the same concept car, but maybe an answer to the engine question? As well, a production interior would be nice to see as well .

I'm still curious what Pontiac is going to reveal .
Give me your *honest* opinion here...not opinion based on the GM press releases. Do you think we are going to see the production version at the 2007 NAIAS? I have a feeling that by January in New York, we're going to see not the concept, but something that is going to closely, if not exactly, resemble the production version.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:12 PM

The concept is a beautiful car, but at the same time it is a plain car. Just some subtle little changes will make it that much better, but I would be more than happy to drive it as is. If you do not agree, that is OK, we will not get ours confused in the parking lot.
I don't agree, but then again I don't know what you mean by subtle changes. Give some examples.

I think the styling is incredibly bold - aggressive angles and creases combined with the distinctive front and rear clips make for anything but a plain car. The ground effects are pretty much already built into the body.

Are you thinking along the lines of rear spoilers?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Is it reasonable to assume that the convertible they show at NAIAS will be closer to production proportions?

I'm talking about stuff like a higher roofline. I know that after Chris and Jason got to sit in / drive it, they said that there was no way that roofline would make it to production.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by greg_nate
Give me your *honest* opinion here...not opinion based on the GM press releases. Do you think we are going to see the production version at the 2007 NAIAS? I have a feeling that by January in New York, we're going to see not the concept, but something that is going to closely, if not exactly, resemble the production version.
My honest, gut feeling is skeptical . "If" we see a convertible, it could either A) be built off the concept, or B) be "production ready" . I don't know what the word is on if we're going to see a convertible or not?? If there IS a convertible, I'm leaning towards it being more production oriented . If no convertible? Then I'm expecting to see the same concept as last year .

... now if there IS a convertible at the show, and IF it's based off a more current "production ready" car, instead of the concept, then I'm curious if that will be the only Camaro at the show, or if they'll have the original concept there as well, or if there will be a production hard-top too??

Gut feeling?? I don't want to hold my breath yet. Although a few "'s" in this department sure would be nice!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Is it reasonable to assume that the convertible they show at NAIAS will be closer to production proportions?
Yes.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:19 PM

I have not liked the Camaro since the 1st generation and that will never change. I really love the concept, because to me it returned to what made a Camaro a great looking car. My 69 had a rear spoiler that I actually added during restoration and I probably went through 3 front spoiler (those little plastic things were crap). To me there is a big difference in the scoops, spoilers and vents from the 60s when compared to the 70s, 80s and 90s. I simply prefer the 60s and this is my opinion only.

The Corvette has been addressed above and just the mesh grille in the CTS-V is enough. I mentioned some little changes in the grille would possibly do wonders.

The concept is a very agressive car and I cannot begin to tell you all how excited it makes me feel, however after looking at it for almost a year now I hope it is in the middle and not the top model.

I think the overall looks can be improved without adding bigger scoops, vents and spoilers. At the same time it needs scoops, vents and spoilers, but once again lets keep it 1st gen. When it is all said and done and the production model roles out, maybe it is just paint schemes and proper badging that it needs. Maybe there will be a nice aftermarket ramped up (or ramping up) and I can buy what I think it needs.

Of course this whole debate is pointless possibly, because if the convertible version comes out looking like some of the photoshop jobs on here that I have seen, it needs no more. That is a dang sexy car.

I may be the first person to refer to the concept as plain, but at least I love it and there are a lot people that do not even do that. After the "WOW" factor wears off, you can see there is always more that can be done. If it did not have a little plain in it, you have nothing to add in the future years of production

I am not an automotive expert, like many of you. I just love cars and the above is simply my opinion.

Last edited by Jeepnreb; 11-04-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
My honest, gut feeling is skeptical . "If" we see a convertible, it could either A) be built off the concept, or B) be "production ready" . I don't know what the word is on if we're going to see a convertible or not?? If there IS a convertible, I'm leaning towards it being more production oriented . If no convertible? Then I'm expecting to see the same concept as last year

I was under the assumption that a convertible version was indeed scheduled for the 07 NAIAS. If I remember right, there have been several confirming it directly.

As for the '08 NAIAS, I distinctly remember reading something from GM stating that they will be unveiling the full-blown production version. I will have to do some digging and see if I can come up with the sources.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

I'm talking about stuff like a higher roofline. I know that after Chris and Jason got to sit in / drive it, they said that there was no way that roofline would make it to production.
Didn't they also mention the seats sat quite a bit higher than a production version would? And that lowering the seats some would reduce the amount the roofline needs to be raised?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:04 PM

FWIW- I remember reading a letter in GM High Tech (maybe), several months ago, from someone who said he had seen a presentation at the Warren Tech Center and the convertible 5th gen they were working on. His letter was complaining about where the new car would be built (Canada).

So I think its possible we could see the vert in Jan- I think we will.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:12 PM

Just for the record, the CTS-V has more cosmetic changes than just the grill. It has different lower rockers, front bumper cover and rear bumper cover.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Just for the record, the CTS-V has more cosmetic changes than just the grill. It has different lower rockers, front bumper cover and rear bumper cover.

You are extremely correct and a little snazzier wheels. Sometimes you barely notice it, but you look it and say that is sexier car.

Quick Reply: Camaro at '07 NAIAS