2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro to be built at Oshawa

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:00 PM

Camaro to be built at Oshawa

... according to the Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../Business/home

Oshawa wins hot competition for Camaro plant

GREG KEENAN

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

The Camaro muscle car will roar out of Canada again, General Motors Corp. is set to announce on Monday.

The world's largest auto maker has chosen an assembly plant in Oshawa, Ont., as the site for the rebirth of one of the classic cars of the 1960s and 1970s, sources familiar with the announcement said yesterday.

The move is one of two major boosts for the auto maker's Oshawa operations. The other is that a plan to eliminate about 1,000 jobs at one of the company's car plants in that city is being reversed because of strong sales of the Chevrolet Impala mid-sized car, the sources said.

Both pieces of news will bring a major sigh of relief for more than 5,000 members of the Canadian Auto Workers union, who have been worried about their jobs since GM announced in November that it is cutting more than 30,000 jobs in North America and closing several assembly plants in a bid to bring production capacity closer to actual sales.

As a result, sources said, there will likely be no permanent layoffs at the Oshawa plants during the remaining two years of the CAW contract, with any jobs lost likely to be from attrition and productivity improvements.

GM will announce on Monday that it will redevelop its operations in Oshawa to create a flexible manufacturing facility capable of cranking out more than 500,000 vehicles off a rear-wheel-drive platform or basic chassis, industry sources said.

The Camaro will be based on GM's new rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform, which will also spawn the next version of the Chevrolet Impala, a new Cadillac DTS and the Buick Lucerne, sources in Detroit and elsewhere said yesterday.

Ontario Economic Development Minister Joe Cordiano said the announcement represents a major win for the province, which faced the prospect of losing 3,900 high-paying auto industry jobs after GM's announcement that it would close one of the car plants in Oshawa and eliminate one shift of production at the other plant.

But the reintroduction of the Camaro at an auto show in Detroit created a buzz for the car and jump-started North American politicians.

"They had governors knocking on their doors and literally breaking down the doors," Mr. Cordiano said.

Mr. Cordiano and Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty vowed in November to do everything possible to make sure the plant stayed open and began lobbying GM officials the day after that announcement.

"It's not just the Camaro here that's important," Mr. Cordiano said yesterday.

"What we have there is a flex facility and there will be other product mandates with [rear-wheel-drive] as the main feature. It's an indicator of where the company is going to go in the future and how important that facility is now to GM."

Redeveloping Oshawa to transform it into a flexible manufacturing operation capable of producing several models was originally part of the company's $2.5-billion Beacon Project, which includes $435-million in financial assistance from the Ontario and federal governments.

GM expects to sell 100,000 Camaros annually, with the car going on sale in 2009, seven years after it pulled the plug on that car and the Pontiac Firebird, which were made in a plant in Ste-Thérèse, Que., that has been torn down.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 AM

Re: Camaro to be built at Oshawa

How many miles is it from Oshawa to Detroit?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 AM

you are looking at a 5 hour drive...
Old 08-20-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by GM OSHAWA
you are looking at a 5 hour drive...
4 to 4-1/2, take the lead out.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:59 PM

I work at the Oshawa plant in the final repair area and plan on being one of the first to take one of the new Camaro out the back for a little test drive.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:09 PM

I work at the Oshawa plant in the final repair area and plan on being one of the first to take one of the new Camaro out the back for a little test drive.
let us know when you start seeing signs of production approching
Old 08-20-2006, 02:47 PM

When you get your hands on one, let me know. We'll line it up with my '02 and see how the new one measures up!!

BTW, you drive an F-body, or are you just an enthusiast??
Old 08-20-2006, 04:06 PM

why are they making this mistake again, this was part of the reason it was stopped in 2002
Old 08-20-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by bringitback
why are they making this mistake again, this was part of the reason it was stopped in 2002
Come again?! What the hell are you talking about?!? What mistake are they making "again"?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:19 PM

Well it is moving forward!
Old 08-20-2006, 04:59 PM

Do they usually annouce where a car will be built two years ahead of time?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:00 PM

dont like this at all...I was hoping and praying for Wilmington
Old 08-20-2006, 05:19 PM

I am glad its getting built....too bad that an American Icon Muscle Car can't be built in the United States...but at least its being built in NORTH America.

I thought I read somewhere that GM has always had intentions of building the American Icon Sports car in Canada.....

I don't feel so bad about owing a few Toyotas now over the years....at least THEY were built by Americans.

Please no flames from our Awesome Neighbors to the North no disrespect was or is intended.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:46 PM

No offense taken here. I personally could care less WHERE it's built, so long as it's somewhere in North America. The 'Vette is American Made and I'm happy with that. My Arctic Cat snowmobile is American Made and I'm cool with that too!

For obvious reasons, I'm REALLY happy that the Camaro is supposed to come to Oshawa, but I wouldn't have any opposition to GM deciding to build it State-side. I think Oshawa is a good choice (so does J.D. Power) but by no means am I knocking other GM plants in NA .
Old 08-20-2006, 05:52 PM

you guys are right....when you get to the meat of it....who cares where its built...just as long as it GETS BUILT.....

If its the #1 plant then kudos to GM for picking that plant.

Quick Reply: Camaro to be built at Oshawa