2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro gona be like the GTO?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:08 PM

Re: Camaro gona be like the GTO?????

Well not all of us are "in the know" and there is a big diffrence when we talk about a GT and a Shelby. One is 27,000 the other is 40,000. Im talking about a 2008 camaro and a maybe 2009 camaro. Both being about the same price. I know some poeple that just wanted a GTO, so they baught one. I also know some people that wanted a GTO because it was fast, and they didn't want a Ford. Then the LS2 comes out. Needless to say they were a little mad. They must have missed the Memo. If there is a memo when the First camaro comes out, i hope i get it so im sure to hold out for the next year.

Last edited by Killaz; 03-29-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:10 PM

I also agree with you guy. Each year there is going to be improvements, but there is not going to be a 50 or 75Hp improvement every year. I just dont want to be the guy with a 400HP camaro when a 475Hp camaro comes out the next year. And i bet there are alot of guys that feel the same way.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:11 PM

I bought my 04 in october. I knew everything about the 05s and still went through with it for a few reasons:
#1 - i actually like the flat hood and 2OTL exhaust. I prefer a subtle sleeper look.
#2 - i got a screaming deal
#3 - 50hp is nothing to make up with an LS1. Mine's already run over 109mph with just high flow cats and a MAF pipe. Plenty of 05/06s can't touch that number. 243 heads stock would have been nice, but it still has the junk early LS6 cam in it.

The only thing i wish i had from the 05+ are the brakes. OTOH, I am glad as hell i don't have an 05/06 after how relatively common gas pedal failures seem to be. LOTS of posts on ls1gto of people where their's failed and the car barely runs. I'm not ready for drive by wire and those woes yet, i'll take my technological leaps in small increments thanks.

There's always something better coming, but again, these engines are great, you can make as much power as you want with an LSx engine In the end 18ci is far from the end of the world in absolute power output.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:15 PM

agreed, for you there was more to the car. For me i like the looks, and the HP. If there is a higher HP model to come, i want that one. a 2008 and a 2009 are going to cost about the same in their own model year. Something tells me GM is going to do something like they did with the GTO,i just want to know for sure.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Killaz
So othe first year of the GTO came out with the 300HP LS1. Then the very next year, it has a 400HP LS2. Now if i were to get the first model year GTO i would have been pissed. So do we think the same will happen with the Camaro? Will there be only a top model 400HP LS2 the first year and then something better to come? This is the only thing holding me back from trading in my C5 the day the Camaro hits my local chevy dealership. So what say you guys.

Holla
Actually, the '04 GTO had the same LS1 that was in the Camaro and the Vette, producing 350 HP.

However, I do share a fear of yours, that the top model of the first year will be a 400hp LS2. I am afraid that a 500hp model won't come out until the following year. I too am strongly considering trading in the C5 for a Camaro - with a new family, a back seat just makes more sense.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
#2 - i got a screaming deal
Yep, me too. I knew the LS2 was coming out when I was in the market a GTO. This was late October when we started to look for a GTO, and the very last Sat in November is when we bought. At the time dealers were really trying to move all 04s.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:45 AM

More fuel to the fire. People DO buy cars they like, and as I mentioned GTO buyers knew the following year GTO would have various changes & more power, but bought '04s anyway. I still haven't heard a dissappointed '04 goat buyer (save the guys who paid $40K before GM got a handle on the scalping).

Well not all of us are "in the know" and there is a big diffrence when we talk about a GT and a Shelby. One is 27,000 the other is 40,000. Im talking about a 2008 camaro and a maybe 2009 camaro. Both being about the same price.
If it's any consolation, you aren't going to see a sudden 100 horse increase in any car in 1 year without a serious jacking up in price. If you are thinking there's going to be a $30K 400 horse Camaro in 2009 then a $30K 500 horse Camaro in 2010, then I can say bluntly that simply ain't gonna happen.

"Assuming" there is a high horse "super Camaro" for 2010, it's going to be a very safe bet that like Shelby's GT500 Mustang, the Corvette Z06, and even the former Ford Lightning, there's going to be a serious premium on it.

So, if you are going under the assumption that extra horsepower of that magnitude is going to be a gift from GM essentially free......
Old 03-30-2006, 01:09 PM

God, I hope so. If the new Camaro is anything like the GTO, it's gonna be one of the most awesome cars GM has ever built. I can't believe how much more I like driving my GTO than my Firebirds now.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Show me when a car hasn't increased in one way or another as time goes on. Not many that I can think of.
Nissan had a tendency to water their cars down with each successive generation. Once one of their models reached an apex, they quickly brought about it's demise by increasing the weight, lowering power, etc. etc. until the car was a shadow of it's former self. Now, with Carlos Ghosn as the helm, they seemed to have stopped doing that. Toyota also did the same thing with their sporty cars - the Celica, MR2, and Supra all were killed by various factors...the Celica suffered from an underpowered engine lineup, as did the MR2. Both cars were nothing like their turbocharged predecessors of a few years prior. The Supra was killed by outrageous prices. I still don't understand how they screwed that one up so badly, but they managed to do it.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
My advice to anyone who in buying a new car is being worried about what engine might come out the year after they buy is to simply not buy any new car...... ever. Not chastizing anyone here, but my goodness!!!

If a car comes out and you really like it, buy it. If it has more power or a different engine or a nicer shade of paint, so what? Cars are going to be continuously improved. More power, better transmissions, changes in gears, better quality or materials. Each year is going to strive to be better (and sometimes alot more powerful) than the year before. Buy what you want. Trade later if you want.

People who bought a 2005 300 horse Mustang GT aren't losing sleep because there's a 475 horse Shelby coming out a few months from now, & a Z06 buyer isn't going to jump off a cliff because an even more powerful Corvette comes out next year.

I haven't met a single person who bought a 2004 GTO irked because the 2005 had more horses. Everyone seems to like or even love the car for it's own worth. That's what it's really all about.
I agree completely.

Plus when I buy my Camaro, the mods will be coming soon after, so I could really give a crap if the following year the Camaro has 50 more horses stock for stock, because I'll most likely have 150 to 200 more than that once I do the mods I plan on doing.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:53 AM

Keep your eye on the Corvette, what ever it has for a base V8, the Camaro will have the next year or two. If the 2009 Camaro has the 400HP LS2 and the 2009 Vette has a 6.2L LS3, then you might want to wait for the Camaro to get the LS3. Or you can always trade your car in a year or two later.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:57 PM

300 HP 5.3 liter would be cake for GM. The one in my truck is rated at 295. Just add a less torquey, more top-end intake, and presto, there's your 300 HP Z28. They could do that, price it just under the Mustang GT, and you'd have the market. Have a 5.7 or 6.0 SS with 375 HP for about 35-37K, and you'd still have some space between it and the Corvette to keep the marketers happy.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by NBred94
300 HP 5.3 liter would be cake for GM. The one in my truck is rated at 295. Just add a less torquey, more top-end intake, and presto, there's your 300 HP Z28.
your late. GM already has 320hp/340lbs-ft of torque in the 07 Tahoe. Easy to add a better exhaust and get 330hp for a Camaro
Old 04-05-2006, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by DR EVYL
God, I hope so. If the new Camaro is anything like the GTO, it's gonna be one of the most awesome cars GM has ever built. I can't believe how much more I like driving my GTO than my Firebirds now.
Holy wow, its the Doc!! I figured that you would buy a purple GTO. I think that you and Sam L Jackson really are brothers...

Anyway, after the Maxx is done, I am deffinatly going to pick up a 05 GTO. I didnt hear about the gas pedal problems, that sounds bad!! I saw an 05 GTO going for 27k the othe day. I can imagine in another 2 years, should be within my grasp, and then Ill just trade the GTO in for a Z28.