2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Which weight/power combo would you prefer on Camaro?
3,500 lbs and 450 horsepower.
87.18%
3,800 lbs and 500 horsepower.
12.82%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Camaro horsepower/weight poll.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:34 PM

Re: Camaro horsepower/weight poll.

I disagree. There is no forgone conclusion. Plenty of people on here have referenced what amounts to "power-to-weight" as the prime motivation. And as pointed out, the higher HP/higher weight example has a better power-to-weight ratio. Though hardly scientific, these poll results are still interesting.

And I don't think your analogy applies at all.

Bob
Old 08-23-2006, 10:04 PM

I chose the 3800/500 option. GM can make a 3800lb car handle and brake just fine, I think I'd prefer the faster straightline example. I figure 3800 lb is more likely to be near the weight of the real car too...

I'm also kinda figuring that whatever gives the 500 hp engine the bump in power, be it a blower (only 50 more hp? unlikely) or a more aggressive heads and cam package, will likely make it a significantly meaner engine w/ some standard bolt ons. Assuming the thing puts out around 450 rwhp bone stock like the new LS7 in the Z06, I really like the idea of getting up near 500rwhp w/ bolt ons... At 3800lbs it will still be mean as hell.

Of course in reality I'd be jumping for joy at 3500/450 in the new Camaro too...

If you click the numbers in the poll to see the names a couple of the people that agreed w/ me and choose the 3800/500 option are interesting too...

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 08-23-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 PM

LOL. Ya, one very recent interesting addition too. Subliminal message maybe? A hint, perhaps?

Bob
Old 08-23-2006, 11:24 PM

I disagree. There is no forgone conclusion.
The thread starter clearly thinks the 5gen might end up being as light as 3500 (not a possibility IMO). Else, why not also have an option of 3200 lb and 410 HP (same pwr/wt ratio as the 3500/450)? But the thread is meant to show people voting will prefer the lighter car with less hp while glossing over the fact that unlike Ford, GM could offer either a 450 HP or a 500 HP engine with the same engine weight, down to a small error. The LS7 already gives 500, no heavy power added needed unlike on the new super-Stang.

So it really comes down to - how does one keep the 5gen down to 3500? The thread conveniently ignores that little detail. Make it narrower, so its basic unibody might rival 4gen weight? Get ready for mediocre crash ratings (especially in crush/rollover) and wives of potential buyers rolling their eyes. Also get ready for homely tumblehome angles. Discard some popular features, like multi-disk stereos? Get ready for audiophiles to gripe and moan about how they immediately need to replace their junky OEM stereo IF they buy the 5gen. And so on.

It again comes back to my central issue. These two choices (and the ensuing results) are utterly meaningless without more info. What comprises the difference in weight between these two hypothetical cars? Clearly there would be some major differences between the two. I'd wager the heavier one would be safer, more well-equipped, and more popular with actual buyers... but who knows.

Last edited by BigDarknFast; 08-23-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ray86IROC
If you click the numbers in the poll to see the names a couple of the people that agreed w/ me and choose the 3800/500 option are interesting too...
Haha, I see Scott in the 500hp / 3800 pound category.
I wonder if that really is personal preference...
Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 PM

In this instance, I voted 3500/450. But I think the 450 is overrated for the base V8, and I think the 500 is underrated for the top dog, so my real world "vote" will be different.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2000SilverLS1
Haha, I see Scott in the 500hp / 3800 pound category.
I wonder if that really is personal preference...
Old 08-24-2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
The thread starter clearly thinks the 5gen might end up being as light as 3500 (not a possibility IMO). Else, why not also have an option of 3200 lb and 410 HP (same pwr/wt ratio as the 3500/450)? But the thread is meant to show people voting will prefer the lighter car with less hp while glossing over the fact that unlike Ford, GM could offer either a 450 HP or a 500 HP engine with the same engine weight, down to a small error. The LS7 already gives 500, no heavy power added needed unlike on the new super-Stang.

So it really comes down to - how does one keep the 5gen down to 3500? The thread conveniently ignores that little detail. Make it narrower, so its basic unibody might rival 4gen weight? Get ready for mediocre crash ratings (especially in crush/rollover) and wives of potential buyers rolling their eyes. Also get ready for homely tumblehome angles. Discard some popular features, like multi-disk stereos? Get ready for audiophiles to gripe and moan about how they immediately need to replace their junky OEM stereo IF they buy the 5gen. And so on.

It again comes back to my central issue. These two choices (and the ensuing results) are utterly meaningless without more info. What comprises the difference in weight between these two hypothetical cars? Clearly there would be some major differences between the two. I'd wager the heavier one would be safer, more well-equipped, and more popular with actual buyers... but who knows.
I disagree. Charlie asked a very simple question. And it looks like most people were able to appreciate that without attempting to justify what a lot of us assume will be a.....uh....heavier-than-we-would-like 5th Gen.

But we'll just have to wait and see.
Bob
Old 08-24-2006, 12:19 AM

Just pick which one you would prefer. You are making this a harder question than it needed to be.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 AM

Well, someone told me not too long ago, All of the HP in the world won't do a bit of good if the car won't handle the road.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 AM

Just pick which one you would prefer. You are making this a harder question than it needed to be.
Not making it harder, IMO. I'd prefer to characterize it as an overly vague question. No one (possibly not even GM, no doubt they are still deciding on options and option pkg's) really knows at this point, the equipment/price/weight combo's that will be offered. It's a little like asking, "When, at a point in the distant future, mankind begins to colonize other planets, which will you prefer - life with chronic water shortages on Mars, or living with extreme gravity on Jupiter?" Well, I don't know. It DEPENDS. Depends on what equipment we have for dealing with water regeneration, and for dealing with excess gravity, and the costs of both. AFTER we know those facts... it makes sense to ask such a question.

An example, back on this question. What if - the 3500 lb option brings with it a $6k cost increment due to the need for aluminum hood, doors, quarters, and titanium firewall? I bet that would change some answers

Last edited by BigDarknFast; 08-24-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Without a doubt.

Bob
Old 08-24-2006, 07:55 AM

Not making it harder, IMO. I'd prefer to characterize it as an overly vague question. No one (possibly not even GM, no doubt they are still deciding on options and option pkg's) really knows at this point, the equipment/price/weight combo's that will be offered. It's a little like asking, "When, at a point in the distant future, mankind begins to colonize other planets, which will you prefer - life with chronic water shortages on Mars, or living with extreme gravity on Jupiter?" Well, I don't know. It DEPENDS. Depends on what equipment we have for dealing with water regeneration, and for dealing with excess gravity, and the costs of both. AFTER we know those facts... it makes sense to ask such a question.

An example, back on this question. What if - the 3500 lb option brings with it a $6k cost increment due to the need for aluminum hood, doors, quarters, and titanium firewall? I bet that would change some answers
I select Mars...weighs a lot less!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM

If there were a package available that could save me 300 lbs of dead weight, I'd certainly be willing to pay some sort of premium for it.

I'd bet most here would as well.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
If there were a package available that could save me 300 lbs of dead weight, I'd certainly be willing to pay some sort of premium for it.

I'd bet most here would as well.
I know I would.

Quick Reply: Camaro horsepower/weight poll.