2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro hybrid??? Would you buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:39 AM

Re: Camaro hybrid??? Would you buy one?

as for a hybrid I am with a few other people here I rather them go with the E85 than electic or something else.

I also saw an artical that they said the V8 Camaro will get over 30 MPGs on the hiway
Old 05-25-2006, 11:47 AM

If the cost of ownership (purchasing, maintenance etc.), reliability and performance is the same as the "regular" version, I don't see why I wouldn't consider buying one.

I do think, however, that it is not going to happen, though. Maybe E85-version, but that's about it. But maybe I'm wrong...

TS
Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM

i dont think the cost of onership and maintinence will ever get to be the same as a regular gas car. hybrid will always be marked at a premium. for a second thoug lets say they were, still with a marginal inprovement in milage, 500-1000 lbs of batteries weighing the car down and affecting handling. now you have a camaro that get a little bit better milage that a v8 car, v6 whatever you got the hybrid for, but is a total pig to drive. dont know, ill never get a hybrid car they are not worth the money for what you get. also i dont car what they say, what are they going to do with all those batteries when they go bad??? in the long run they will cause more damage to the environment that normal gas vehicles, remember the corvette has a 400hp ls2 in it and its a LEV is it not? modern engines have very low emmissions now as it is. like i said when the EPA comes out with the new MPG tests there will be a sharp drop in hybrid sales. watch.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by graham
People act shock that my 99, loaded out with A4, would get over 20 in the city and over 25 on trips.
I have never gotten anywhere near 20 mpg in the city, regardless of how I drive. These cars really do suck down gas, unless you do mostly highway driving (which I don't).
Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 PM

Nope.. In fact, I would stay away from a Hybrid Camaro, or any other hybrid sports car in fact. Yuck.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:10 PM

Hybrids are for stop and go fuel economy, they would be significantly better than the run of the mill V8 for that. But the closest thing to a sporty hybrid there is now is the Accord, and it had to reduce production since most hybrid buyers want the ones that are exclusively hybrids so that other people can tell that they have one.

E85 seems more reasonable on this car though. A turbo diesel would be pretty cool as well.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by V8 Slayer
The Camaro Hybrid:

It burns Gas and Rubber...

Now THAT I would buy.. Not a hippie green underpowered electric P.O.S...
according to what i hear, GM hybrid versions are being set up to complement the vehicle... some are designed to save more fuel, some are design to give better perfromance at similar (or better)fuel ecconomy as non hybrid versions...
Old 05-25-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
I also saw an artical that they said the V8 Camaro will get over 30 MPGs on the hiway
That's been stated in many places since the concept debuted. With a tall overdrive and cylinder deactivation, its possible. I think really they said "about 30 MPG" or "as much as 30 MPG" rather than "over" 30 MPG. Gotta be careful not to set expectations too high.

Oh, not to be picky but you don't have to make "MPG" plural by adding an "s". Its already plural, as it stands for Miles Per Gallon.

Sort of like how people say "RPMs" when it is already plural (Revolutions Per Minute).
Old 05-25-2006, 02:57 PM

A turbo diesel would be pretty cool as well.
it would be definitly, really any car with a decent TD would be pretty cool. think about a mid sized light to medium duty TD in a car with about 200 hp and about 400 f/lbs. than from there throw a tuner on it good for maybe an extra 100hp and another 2-300 f/lbs. now youre looking at a 300hp 700 f/lb monster. thats what in talking about. the only thing is, i think when you start messing with those tuners, milage goes right out the window. then there weight and the expense of a diesel. liek i said if it costs as much and the big dog, z/28, ss, ZL1 whatever, it wont make a difference.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:10 PM

I'd be glad to use E85 if you could get it. I can get natural gas easier.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:20 PM

i think by the time the new camaro comes out, e85 will be much more available than it is now.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:16 PM

I'd buy a Camaro Hybrid.....right after I turn in my Man Card; and fill out my enrollment forms for N.O.W, Greenpeace, The Sierra Club, the Brady Campaign, and Handgun Control Inc.

Nevermind. It looks like I won't be buying a hybrid Camaro, but I might sell body parts for a dry sump LS7 powered 5th gen.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:33 PM

but I might sell body parts for a dry sump LS7 powered 5th gen.
with no badges and six cylinder wheels.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:50 PM

You know, I think this stuff shouldn't be put down so much. As hybrid technology improves, as it surely will, and more of them are made, they will likely come down in price. Sure, most of the people here wouldn't but one, but I'll bet there are A LOT of others who might look twice.
That kind of style and environmentally conscious too?! It could be a brilliant move to open the car up to new market share. Who says a hybrid has to be ugly as hell (like the Toyota Prius)? The rest of us could have our 400hp hopefully E85 burning hot rods! But having hybrid technology available as an option could go a long way toward silencing critics of cars like Camaro as environmentally irresponsible. Don't know if they could make a business case for it though.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:37 PM

I have a friend with a Toyota hybrid, and she absolutely loves it. However I don't believe Toyotas have the same problems as some other hybrids. (Did you know with some hybrids, the AC doesn't work while it is in electric mode, which is usually when you're cruising around town and need it the most?) Additionally Lexus has built a performance hybrid that is no slouch. (And its not cheap either, afterall, its a Lexus.) I just don't see it for a budget minded vehicle like the Camaro, especially when GM now has a V6 with AFM.

Besides as much as people complain that Camaro shouldn't be priced over $30k... how much do you think a hybrid version would cost? I can see it now... well, I can buy a base Corvette, or a hybrid V6 Camaro and feel good about saving the environment.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm in support of hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles. I just don't see a hybrid Camaro making much sense in today's market. Of course that could all change in 5 years. )

Quick Reply: Camaro hybrid??? Would you buy one?