2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Same power, same cost, I'd choose...
A V6 Camaro
63.55%
A V8 Colorado
36.45%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Camaro vs Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:08 PM

Re: Camaro vs Colorado

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I think that we should stop using the term midlevel. Midlevel denotes only 3 choices.

Well for the first year anyway
Old 03-23-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
there is no excuse for any straight American man to buy a naturally aspirated V6 Camaro when there is a V8 Camaro available.
Some of us don't have to make up for 'short comings' in other areas.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:16 PM

I think that we should stop using the term midlevel. Midlevel denotes only 3 choices.
Understood, but 4 engine choices with 2 V6's causes a similar quandry. The point of a mid-level V8 is the ability to walk into the dealer, buy a V6 car right down to the suspension and wheels but substitute a nice "base" V8 in the V6's place for a nominal charge. If you go 4 engines with a base and "H.O." V6, what is the cost to get the lowest V8 available? That V8 would jump to 400+ HP, and once again, you might be paying a $5,000 or $6,000 premium for the V8 just like those old ladies in Jason's example.

The point of a "base V8" is to give people that refuse to drive a V6 pony car the ability to get their V8 and get it economically. How will that work with 4 engines when you know 2 are V6's and 1 is the monster? There's too much of a spread there.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:25 PM

While we're on the topic of a 300+ hp V6. Wouldn't it be interesting if it were available with either - or even both - a luxury package an/or a sport package.
RS/SS 300hp v6 would sure put a sour taste in the mouth of the SS diehards.....frankly that would be cool, and hilarious at the same time.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:41 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Some of us don't have to make up for 'short comings' in other areas.
So, you like being slow? You don't enjoy driving fast? Why are you even here?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:49 PM

Camaro. No brainer. It would practically be a 350Z or G35 Coupe, except cooler
Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 PM

I would go with a sporty v6 if the price was right. I have the Trans Am if I want to go fast, I would be looking for a car that I could drive every day and still do decent on gas.

If you claim small v8 with DoD, just look at the real world numbers that the 5.3 impala SS is getting. I know they supposedly do well on the interstate but it would be mostly for city driving.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:10 PM

As a driver of an 06 I4 colorado and a 00 V6 camaro, i would honestly have a tough time choosing. The colorado's may be a little underpowered, but they are seriously good work horses on a budget. We got a base model colorado for a work truck brand new at like 14K. But my next vehicle purchase will likely be on a higher budget than mid teens so i will say the camaro.

Okay with that said, guys, lets not turn this into a v6 bashing forum. I know alot of people say higher insurance premiums in a v8 coupe are a myth, but the reason i drive a 00 V6 camaro is because of insurance.

V8 camaro's, in south Georgia, for males younger than 25, are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive to insure and that is why i was forced to purchase the 3.8L. People can tell me otherwise as much as they want, but i had three different insurance company quotes sitting in front of me.

Okay, now with my flaming out of the way, let me get all whiny. The 3.8L camaro is not a bad engine at all. When i was in high school, i added a few cheap bolt-ons and had all my friends cars seriously outclassed in performance and just good ol reliability.

Remember, alot of parents are looking for safe, reliable, cool looking cars to put there teenagers in, and if they can get something like the 5th gen brand new in the 18-19K area, then alot of high school and college parking lots are gonna have camaro's sitting in them

The camaro community as a whole is really criticized for excluding V6 camaros as "true camaros" and this probably contibuted to the death of the 4th gens.

Once again, just my opinion.....
Old 03-23-2006, 01:13 PM

No I enjoy spirited driving as much as the next guy. But I likely won't take my current or next car to the track. I just don't feel the need to. There are those of us who like the car for its character rather than its land rocket status. I am here because I care about Camaro, likely more than you. I see that there are more people like me in this world and they will be why the car succeeds and stays around. Please the drag race guys, who a lot of the time buy a used car and mod the hell out of it, and ignore the daily driver peope and you will see the car die again (this time for good). GM understands this and is planning a car that will appeal to the masses. BTW if all you care about is brute force why drive a new car with IRS and saftey systems? Just go buy a late 70s monza and stick a SBC in it. Or how about a monster Miata.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:25 PM

I voted for the Colorado......but then I said hmmm.. The V8 will be at least 300HP so If it is a 300HP Camaro then I'll change my answer to that.

Now if it was LS2 Colorado vs. 245HP 3.9L Camaro then I'd go with the Colorado....but a 300HP 3.6L DOHC Camaro would be cool.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:31 PM

Camaro. BTW, they need to stop putting parking lights above headlights.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:48 PM

While we're on the topic of a 300+ hp V6. Wouldn't it be interesting if it were available with either - or even both - a luxury package an/or a sport package.
I think it would be pretty interesting. Hmm. You are starting to make me do alot wondering. More than 3 engine choices? A H.O v6? That in itself is pretty interesting to me.

Presumably, what GM v6 are we talking about here? The 3.9 seems like a far cry as far as 300hp is concerned, even with all of the new techno doo-dads the engine is likley to recieve in the next few years.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Presumably, what GM v6 are we talking about here?
Just remember GM will have a bunch of new engines in the next few years....
Old 03-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
Just remember GM will have a bunch of new engines in the next few years....
Lets hope for a new gen of OHV V6s using what GM learned from their V8s, DOD, VVT, DI, and 3 valve per cylinder heads on a larger 60° V6!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:27 PM

Smile Re: Camaro vs Colorado

there is no excuse for any straight American man to buy a naturally aspirated V6 Camaro when there is a V8 Camaro available...
Straight American male here.

I'd love to have V8 Camaro. I'd also love to have a BMW M3 or a Ford GT as well. Nothing to do with being a hetero male or American, just what I can afford to buy.

The new Camaro's looks have a horrendous intimidation factor. People (especially younger guys) are going to crawl all over the car, even if it means selling a kidney (Camaro SSs ran 30 grand 4 years ago, and it'd be silly to think newer ones are going to be any cheaper).

But for those who prefer to keep both kidneys, they're going to go for the mid V6 Camaro, especially if it's as quick (or slightly quicker) than the LT1 and priced below a Mustang GT. We're talking a 0-60 time under 6 seconds here!

A well equpted V6 Camaro pushing well over 300 horses, without a speed governor, with a well tuned IRS, a good standard equptment list, roll down rear quarter windows, & priced around $23K would be something I'd consider if it had a good "fun to drive" factor.

And I'd gurantee you it would become the near official male car of low to mid twentysomethings, and would become the daily driver of legions of hetrosexual, red-blooded, American men everywhere.

Last edited by guionM; 03-23-2006 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Camaro vs Colorado