2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Same power, same cost, I'd choose...
A V6 Camaro
63.55%
A V8 Colorado
36.45%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Camaro vs Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:55 AM

Re: Camaro vs Colorado

I'm feeling a bit guilty for voting. I don't deny that both vehicles might sell, maybe even sell well, but they won't ever sell to me. That was the poll question wasn't it? What would you buy? Not "what's right for the market?"
Old 03-24-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
A well equpted V6 Camaro pushing well over 300 horses, without a speed governor, with a well tuned IRS, a good standard equptment list, roll down rear quarter windows, & priced around $23K would be something I'd consider if it had a good "fun to drive" factor.
To get 300HP from a V6 I'm assuming it would be the Direct Injection DOHC 3.6L V6. Would that engine really be used in a $23K car? If so that would be huge same HP as a Mustang GT and more than most Imports V6 sports cars. I think those would sell like Crazy. A lot of the Import guys are into DOHC and to have a affordable DOHC V6 that is putting out more HP than and Evo and the same as a STi would be a big deal. Another homerun for GM if they can make it happen.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
To get 300HP from a V6 I'm assuming it would be the Direct Injection DOHC 3.6L V6. Would that engine really be used in a $23K car? If so that would be huge same HP as a Mustang GT and more than most Imports V6 sports cars. I think those would sell like Crazy. A lot of the Import guys are into DOHC and to have a affordable DOHC V6 that is putting out more HP than and Evo and the same as a STi would be a big deal. Another homerun for GM if they can make it happen.
I'm not sure about cost...but I guess right in there or so.

And I wouldn't be surprised if it's 300 (+) hp........

And it should have some torque as well.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:31 AM

It wouldn't have to be the 3.6 DOHC... a derivative of the 3.9 would just as easily make 300... but I'm not sure how many "extras" that they have developed will go on the motor.

Also I don't see why you would have to assume the motor is naturally aspirated, given what the current Grand Prix lineup looks like. Practically any of the V6s could be over 300hp with some boost.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:50 AM

I don't think a derivitive of the 3.9 will make 300hp (or more), even with direct injection and variable valve timing. It seems to me that the DOHC 3.6 would make a very good v6 for the task.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:54 PM

They had a concept 3.8L that made nearly 300HP NA. I am confident you could get the 3.9 that high with three valves, VVT and DI.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:00 PM

I'd buy a V8 Colorado if offered regardless.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by DrewSG
V8 Colorado. You wouldn't catch me dead in a V6 pony car
Thank you. I'm tired of those people on here defending V6 pony car owners.

Owning a V6 pony car is just saying one thing:

I don't care about performance, just about looks.

Now tell me, isn't that the same damn thing that's wrong with ricers?

And you can't tell me that even with 300hp that V6 will be stomping Mustang GT's and Challenger R/T's.

All or Nothing.

V8 Colorado all the way.

Last edited by Sharker524; 03-27-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sharker524

And you can't tell me that even with 300hp that V6 will be stomping Mustang GT's and Challenger R/T's.

All or Nothing.

V8 Colorado all the way.
Excellent post.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:35 PM

Or perhaps it means someone wants a car to go to and from work, the mall, and maybe down to the shore every now and then, but they want an attractive car. Not everyone is trying to race every car that pulls up next to them at a light. And they are the people that make up the bulk of the car buying public.

Realisticly the looks of the car are the most important aspect. The car has to catch a buyers eye first before anything else. No matter how well it performs, if it's hideous it's not going to sell.

My current car I've had for 11 months and only have 6500 miles on it. I only drive 4 miles one way to work, and don't do a lot of driving thruout the year. A V6 Camaro would be fine for me. (And I've had 2.) The only reason I am interested in a Z28 this time is I've never had one (and I really don't care for the too-generic 'SS' title).

IMO the 'thing wrong' with 'ricers' are the huge Supermarket Cart Wings and Coffee Can exhausts. Sounding like a moped doesn't help either. lol

Though I admit, I realy like a nice body kit and would love to see some subtle GFX on on the new Camaro.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:06 PM

If the 300HP V6 stomps LT1's would your argument evolve to include LT1 owners as only caring about looks instead of performance?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
If the 300HP V6 stomps LT1's would your argument evolve to include LT1 owners as only caring about looks instead of performance?
If my aunt had ***** she'd be my uncle.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:50 PM

Even if the V6 has 350hp and can blow the doors off a 300hp V8? But I don't think that is the point here. Some people want a stylish car and simply can't afford a V8, and I don't mean just the price of the car. Insurance on a V6 is going to be less than it would on a V8 model with the same horsepower level, and insurance rates could be the difference in attracting a younger buyer that wants performance and a certain level of affordability of ownership.

Although I wouldn't be a buyer of the V6, this is exactly what GM needs to do to ensure the Camaro is a success in terms of sales.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
Or perhaps it means someone wants a car to go to and from work, the mall, and maybe down to the shore every now and then, but they want an attractive car. Not everyone is trying to race every car that pulls up next to them at a light. And they are the people that make up the bulk of the car buying public.

Realisticly the looks of the car are the most important aspect. The car has to catch a buyers eye first before anything else. No matter how well it performs, if it's hideous it's not going to sell.

My current car I've had for 11 months and only have 6500 miles on it. I only drive 4 miles one way to work, and don't do a lot of driving thruout the year. A V6 Camaro would be fine for me. (And I've had 2.) The only reason I am interested in a Z28 this time is I've never had one (and I really don't care for the too-generic 'SS' title).

IMO the 'thing wrong' with 'ricers' are the huge Supermarket Cart Wings and Coffee Can exhausts. Sounding like a moped doesn't help either. lol

Though I admit, I realy like a nice body kit and would love to see some subtle GFX on on the new Camaro.
Okay, you just supported my post 100%. But my point was, the car for you isn't a Camaro. If you aren't an enthusiast, if you don't care about speed, handling, adrenaline, or FUN, then you shouldn't own a Z28.

But I understand V6's are needed and they support the enthusiast vehicles.

Last edited by Sharker524; 03-27-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:32 PM

All or Nothing.

V8 Colorado all the way.
Damn straight!

Quick Reply: Camaro vs Colorado