2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro vs. Sky

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:56 AM

Camaro vs. Sky

How many of you are considering a Sky Redline either A)while waiting for the Camaro to arrive B)because you like the design better or C)some other reason?

I know some of you will not go for it because you are die hard Camaro, I respect that. Just want to see given there is not approval yet and we have not seen an official prototype convertible. Also we are not seeing one this model year. Thoughts...
Old 08-04-2006, 09:02 AM

Re: Camaro vs. Sky

Sorry Pontiac fans, I forgot the Solstice GXP as well!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:05 AM

I hear alot of murmurs here in savannah of "if chevy doesn't get that camaro out soon i may just buy a sky/solstice!"

It seems those two cars are attracting both the tuner and muscle guys. I mean you get a high hp/low weight performance coupe with RWD. AND you get a great handling compact vehicle with a turbo all in the same car.

The only downside is 2 less seats which camaro guys are probably already use to not having a real back seat anyway.

I actually saw a red sky the other day on the road and that car is BEAUTIFUL. The solstice is just as sharp too. These are cars you just have to see in person to fully appreciate.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:07 AM

The cars you are talking about have nothing in common. I don't want a tiny little 2 seat roadster, I want a muscle car. I don't see how someone can say, well I'll just get a sky because the camaro isn't approved. I'd be more likely to buy a challenger (that is approved for production) than the tiny sky or solstice.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:59 AM

If the Camaro turns out to be too heavy/too expensive/doesn't handle decently well, I would probably go for a Solstice or Sky instead.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 AM

Exclamation Re: Camaro vs. Sky

I know I'm gonna sound like a pri*k, but this is ridiculous bordering on dumb.

Reasons:

1. One car is a 2 passenger 4 cylinder drop top sports car, the other is a V6/V8 4 passenger coupe.

2. One is going to be made at a rate of 20,000 per year, the other is 100,000 plus.

3. One is a Saturn, the other is Chevrolet.

4. You are talking like someone who has money burning a serious hole in their pocket who simply MUST buy something....ANYTHING... to hold them over till a Camaro arrives in the showroom.

5. You are also forgetting you are on a Camaro site. Anyone that actually wants a Camaro is gonna wait for a Camaro, not rush off and buy something to tide them over. If anyone here buys anything to tide them over, it's going to be another Camaro or a project car.... not something that's going to still be on the upside of payments when the Camaro comes out.

As long as we're comparing apples to pineapples, why not ask if anyone's going to by a Charger SRT-8 to "hold them over" till Camaro comes....or an Aveo? If anything, the Saturn's gonna likely be more valuable than the Camaro over the years due to both rareity and intrest.

Listen, I'm as much a Camaro fan as just about anyone here, but my goodness man! Why in the planet's name am I going to buy a Saturn Sky simply because I can't wait for a Camaro???!

If I want a V8 4 passenger coupe, and I needed it yesterday, I'm going to buy a Mustang or a used Camaro or Firebird. I'm certainly NOT gonna buy a 2 passenger, 4 cylinder droptop unless I wanted one.

Anyone who would run down to a Saturn dealer to get a car to tide them over is going to trade in a 5th gen Camaro as soon as they get tired of it, rendering this whole subject moot.

I know I sound like The Grinch, Scrooge, and the Adbominable Snowman all rolled into one. I also know that maybe because I don't surf the internet as much as I used to, I'm quicker to notice how little logic is involved in some posts.

But upon reading the heading: "Camaro vs Sky" (my reaction: ), then seeing the opening post ask who's gonna buy a Sky to hold them over till Camaro arrives (my reaction: "this guy simply can't be serious...), either there's alot of millionaires stopping by the site, or the reality quotent is starting to dip quite a bit around here.

Last edited by guionM; 08-04-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by guionM

Reasons:

1. One car is a 2 passenger 4 cylinder drop top sports car, the other is a V6/V8 4 passenger coupe.

2. One is going to be made at a rate of 20,000 per year, the other is 100,000 plus.

4. You are talking like someone who has money burning a serious hole in their pocket who simply MUST buy something....ANYTHING... to hold them over till a Camaro arrives in the showroom.

5. You are also forgetting you are on a Camaro site. Anyone that actually wants a Camaro is gonna wait for a Camaro, not rush off and buy something to tide them over. If anyone here buys anything to tide them over, it's going to be another Camaro or a project car.... not something that's going to still be on the upside of payments when the Camaro comes out.

As long as we're comparing apples to pineapples, why not ask if anyone's going to by a Charger SRT-8 to "hold them over" till Camaro comes....or an Aveo? If anything, the Saturn's gonna likely be more valuable than the Camaro over the years due to both rareity and intrest.

Listen, I'm as much a Camaro fan as just about anyone here, but my goodness man! Why in the planet's name am I going to buy a Saturn Sky simply because I can't wait for a Camaro???!

If I want a V8 4 passenger coupe, and I needed it yesterday, I'm going to buy a Mustang or a used Camaro or Firebird. I'm certainly NOT gonna buy a 2 passenger, 4 cylinder droptop unless I wanted one.

Anyone who would run down to a Saturn dealer to get a car to tide them over is going to trade in a 5th gen Camaro as soon as they get tired of it, rendering this whole subject moot.

I know I sound like The Grinch, Scrooge, and the Adbominable Snowman all rolled into one. I also know that maybe because I don't surf the internet as much as I used to, I'm quicker to notice how little logic is involved in some posts.

But upon reading Camaro vs Sky (my reaction: ), then seeing the post ask who's gonna buy a Sky to hold them over till Camaro arrives (my reaction: "this guy simply can't be serious...), either there's alot of millionaires stopping by the site, or the reality quotent is starting to dip quite a bit around here.
Jacoz35thSS by guionM

(sorry, I couldn't help it)
Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Banned

Personally, I like the Sky and the Solstice. I would actually consider buying one, but not to replace a void that the Camaro would leave if it weren't produced. I don't see these cars as replacements for a muscle car, but just great looking cars in their own right. So while I might consider one if the Camaro isn't made, it wouldn't be as a substitute for it. (doesn't exactly make sense, but I think you get it)
Old 08-04-2006, 12:12 PM

5. You are also forgetting you are on a Camaro site. Anyone that actually wants a Camaro is gonna wait for a Camaro, not rush off and buy something to tide them over.
Actually, i really want a 5th gen. But after 6 months got tired of waiting for the new camaro and bought the 'balt. But then again, i'm 20 and have the attention span of a goldfish.

But i disagree, i'm finding that many former camaro owners are taking great interest in the solstice and sky. Its exciting, fast, and RWD. Not to mention you get a car that has the looks of a viper with the price of cobalt. And you can go buy one right now.

Now i'm gonna go hide from the ensuing "guionM barrage" that is sure to come. j/k
Old 08-04-2006, 12:14 PM

The only Solstice I would be interested in would be the LS7 powered one that Hot Rod built.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:17 PM

Reasons:

But upon reading the heading: "Camaro vs Sky" (my reaction: ), then seeing the opening post ask who's gonna buy a Sky to hold them over till Camaro arrives (my reaction: "this guy simply can't be serious...), either there's alot of millionaires stopping by the site, or the reality quotent is starting to dip quite a bit around here.

With all due repsect, this is not a dumb post and your response is (IMO) a little out of line, regardless of a person's post number.

I thought he brought up two important consumer considerations. I am a huge Camaro fan but I am also very interested in the Solstice GXP because I don't like where the Camaro's styling and market is heading and without delving hard into the numbers yet, the Solstice could have a better weight to power ratio that the 5th gen.

I want a new Camaro...I'm not waiting until 201x for the 6th gen, and after waiting 20 years....I'm getting tired of waiting on GM in general. Pat yourself on the back if you want, I don't want to lower my standard of living to support the home team's lack of product.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:41 PM

Wink Re: Camaro vs. Sky

Originally Posted by LandonElf
Actually, i really want a 5th gen. But after 6 months got tired of waiting for the new camaro and bought the 'balt. But then again, i'm 20 and have the attention span of a goldfish.

But i disagree, i'm finding that many former camaro owners are taking great interest in the solstice and sky. Its exciting, fast, and RWD. Not to mention you get a car that has the looks of a viper with the price of cobalt. And you can go buy one right now.

Now i'm gonna go hide from the ensuing "guionM barrage" that is sure to come. j/k
No barrage needed.

You liked the Cobalt and you bought one. With the go-fast goodies you're putting on it (I think that was you, right? ), you have yourself an impressive car.

But like you said, you didn't just head out one day to buy your brand new car, go into $20K+ debt, and set yourself up for years of car payments just to "tide you over till the Camaro comes along".

I can easily see myself buy a Cobalt SS (if I wasn't so fixated on RWD) and I I thinkthe Saturn Sky as well as the Solstice are really great cars. Ever since I rode in 1 for the 1st time at the Camaro intro, I think they are very solid and fun cars. But the idea that I'm going to buy a new one simply to tide me over (not because I actually want the car) strikes me as pretty silly.

Plus we already have a "what else would you buy.." thread.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
I don't want to lower my standard of living to support the home team's lack of product.
Well said. I want a camaro so bad i cant stand it. But if i'm looking at 3+ years of waiting then then theres no way that i could continue driving my 00 camaro much longer (and i didn't). I take great care of my vehicles, but almost 10 years on a daily driver is pushing it for me.

I just wish GM would just tell us SOMETHING. Just a release month. Or even just the year it will be in!!! Sometimes i wonder if it would help if they just lie to us and tell us a fake date. Just so we have something to hope for.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:00 PM

I really like the Sky and Solstice.. But reading about the wierd way the truck/top operates, and the fact that when you put the top down, you just about have no trunk space, is highly disappointing.

If we go on a weekend roadtrip with luggage, then we can't bring the top down. Errr..... No room for errands or shopping with the top down either. Which basically means, I won't be able to use this car with the top down. And at least on the Solstice, even using the trunk with the top up sounds annoying.

Which means, this car would be even less pratical than my Camaro, even for just two people?! Not being able to really carry anyhting with the top down for a weekend roadtrip, thats the dealbreaker for me. Its a shame too, cause I'd really like a Sky Redline. In comparison, it sounds like the Miata is able to stow its top down with some usuable trunk space(although not really much either heh).. But I don't want a Miata, unless they significantly up the hp.

Last edited by Ken S; 08-04-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
With all due repsect, this is not a dumb post and your response is (IMO) a little out of line, regardless of a person's post number.
His post is that someone is going to buy a brand new car to tide them over till a Camaro arrives.

Here's your point:

...(I) am a huge Camaro fan but I am also very interested in the Solstice GXP because I don't like where the Camaro's styling and market is heading and without delving hard into the numbers yet, the Solstice could have a better weight to power ratio that the 5th gen.
Point #1:
You don't like the styling and direction of the next Camaro, and you are intrested in the Solstice.

I want a new Camaro...I'm not waiting until 201x for the 6th gen, and after waiting 20 years....I'm getting tired of waiting on GM in general. Pat yourself on the back if you want, I don't want to lower my standard of living to support the home team's lack of product.
Point #2:
You don't want to wait a long time, so you are going to buy something else instead.

Nowhere in your post do you say you are going to buy a new Solstice (or anything) simply to "Tide you over" till the 5th gen arrives. Instead, you bring up 2 very logical, realistic, and understandable points. You don't like the 5th gen Camaro, and you don't want to wait for the 6th gen.

I may have been a bit harsh on the fellow, and it has nothing to do with his post count (anyone remember Redzed or Buickman???).

But.....

* To buy a Sky to hold you over till the 5th gen arrives?
* To say "..given there is not approval yet and we have not seen an official prototype convertible" who's going to buy a Saturn Sky instead?

Hell, the new bigger Chevy Malibu is going to be in showrooms in less than 12 months. Anyone here heard of an "approval' or "announcement", or seen any "official" prototypes save the pics Chris took just last week, or even seen a version in an auto show???

How long was it before unveiling before you heard any Corvette announcement or saw any official prototypes?? Ford never officially announced the new Mustang. The Mustang concept came out a mere 18 months before production start.

How many times has Fbodfather, Bob Lutz, Rick Wagoner, Ed Welburn, and others have all but hit people over the heads with 2X4s in hinting that they are going to make the Camaro??

Name just one car any automaker has given this many clues, hints, test drives of concepts, extensive interviews and booking of concepts,..... or name just one concept that was made in duplicate so it could be shown at 2 auto shows at once! How many concepts came with their own detailed CAD of the inner structure???!

For Chrissake!!! I guess some people actually NEED to be beaten over the head with 2X4s and kicked in groin before they actually get a clue.

Last edited by guionM; 08-04-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Camaro vs. Sky