2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro vs. Sky

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Camaro vs. Sky

Guy, one point:

You point out the absurdity, but our own Chris Frezza did exactly that -- bought a brand new two-seat sports car to tide himself over while he waited for the Camaro. It happened to be a C6, but still.

Personally, I'd seriously consider a Sky Redline in my future. Just as seriously as a 5th gen. My only concern is that the Redline/GXP's exhaust is going to have to sound better than the base Sky/Solstice exhaust, which sounds like poo IMO. I couldn't buy a fun, sporty little car like that if it didn't have a good exhaust note.

In my case, though, I'm not "cross-shopping," as it were... I might buy one, I might buy the other, and I might buy both.

This would be a few years down the road... I'm not in the financial shape to pick up two new-car payments at this point.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 08-04-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:36 PM

Both cars mention evoke an emotional response from the buyer, and both cars are new, and many people like to be the first to be seen in them. I had no problem finding used 350Zs a few months after they came out, because the people that just want to be seen in a new car for attention trade it in for something else months down the line. If this was, say an Impala versus Camaro debate, I could agree with what you have said Guy. However, as JakeRobb mentioned, there are people that don't cross shop on in the brackets that the auto market research has suggested. Chris Frezza was a good example.

I am not one to hold on to a car for very long. I have had my 4th gen for 3 years, far longer than any other car I have had, and it largely has to do with finances at the moment. If I was going to buy a new car in the near future, I would definetly check out the Sky Redline at the very least, and probably would consider trading it in when the 5th gen comes out. So to answer the original poster's question, yes I have thought about it.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:58 PM

I'd buy a Solstice or a Sky if I had a vagina between my legs.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:14 PM

It's a very strange comparison and yet I see it being somewhat valid. I'm terribly afraid that the pony car is dead and will be replaced by cars that are simply too big and heavy. If the entire market is nothing but heavy retro themed cars than the market simply doesn't exist to me anymore and I have to find a new type of car to bleed on. It has to be RWD. It has to have a manual transmission. It has to perform. I always thought it had to be V8 powered but if that isn't possible what is left? I'd like to simply make the move to Corvette but I have to be financially responsible so this may mean waiting for a few more years.

I like the basic architecture of the Solstice/Sky and they are attractively styled. The thought of a four banger makes me cringe though.

If the Camaro's a pig or just doesn't fit the mold I would desperately want a middle ground. Actually maybe that'd kick *** if the Camaro's not so great, the Solstice is too small, and so Pontiac releases a Firebird based on a slightly larger Kappa derivative with V8 power

After always being passionate about f-bodies it's a weird position to be in
Old 08-04-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by J96Z
What about when a turbo solstice/sky owner puts an exhaust on and gets a tune and shows you some tail lights? Or when they upgrade the turbo and run out of site from you? Just a thought.

Jon
Old 08-04-2006, 05:12 PM

This is not an outlandish question.

For many people an f-body is a second car, something fun to drive on the weekends. It does not have to do primary people mover duties. A toy, if you will. In that respect, a Kappa is a reasonable substitute for a Camaro. Check out the Kappa forums and take note of how many f-body owners you see there, I think you'll be surprised. There are thousands of GM enthusiasts out there with nothing affordable to pique their interest now that the f-bodies are gone, and it seems the Kappas (and also the CTS) has taken up some of that slack.

Personally I'd love an F5 to replace my F4, but I can't wait that long and the retro styling doesn't do it for me. Hopefully the GTO doesn't suffer the same lack of imagination as the Camaro. So what else is there in the GM stable that's fun and RWD to tide me over until then? Yep, a turbo Kappa.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by LandonElf
Well said. I want a camaro so bad i cant stand it. But if i'm looking at 3+ years of waiting then then theres no way that i could continue driving my 00 camaro much longer (and i didn't). I take great care of my vehicles, but almost 10 years on a daily driver is pushing it for me.
4 or 5 years with the same car is pushing it for me. LOL I hate driving the same car over 3 years.

I just wish GM would just tell us SOMETHING. Just a release month. Or even just the year it will be in!!! Sometimes i wonder if it would help if they just lie to us and tell us a fake date. Just so we have something to hope for.
This I agree with wholeheartedly (well, not the lying to us part). I'm tired of driving the Aveo and really would like to know how long I have to wait for a new Camaro... Otherwise I'd be happy to get a new vehicle now and drive it the next 3 years if I have to wait that long anyway.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:10 PM

Actually, i really want a 5th gen. But after 6 months got tired of waiting for the new camaro and bought the 'balt. But then again, i'm 20 and have the attention span of a goldfish.
You sound just like my 20 year old.

But i disagree, i'm finding that many former camaro owners are taking great interest in the solstice and sky. Its exciting, fast, and RWD. Not to mention you get a car that has the looks of a viper with the price of cobalt. And you can go buy one right now.

Now i'm gonna go hide from the ensuing "guionM barrage" that is sure to come. j/k
I have to agree with you. I love the Sky/Solstice and if I were in the market for that type of car, I'd buy one. I also think the Cobalt SS is cool too. I'd even consider the GTO at this point.

But then I look out in my driveway. There sits my 1995 Z28 with less than 53K miles on it and its all paid off. This would be my "trade-in" if I were to buy a new car. (Hell I have four cars now, so I'd have to get rid of at least one. ) None of these new cars, except for maybe the GTO come anywhere close to my 11 year old Camaro in terms of performance and fun-factor. So why should I go into debt, just because I long for a new ride?

No sir, I want a new Camaro and that's what I am buying. And I'm not getting it when it first comes out either. I'm waiting for the Z28. I figure my 1995 Z28 will do until then... if not... I can always drive my 1967 Camaro.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:30 PM

well... me and my brother were going to get a Sky RL... then we were on the fence about maybe getting a Vette... now I am 98% sure we will be getting a CTS-V...

so it may seem ridiculous to compare certain cars, but it gets done.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Guy, one point:

You point out the absurdity, but our own Chris Frezza did exactly that -- bought a brand new two-seat sports car to tide himself over while he waited for the Camaro. It happened to be a C6, but still.

Personally, I'd seriously consider a Sky Redline in my future. Just as seriously as a 5th gen. My only concern is that the Redline/GXP's exhaust is going to have to sound better than the base Sky/Solstice exhaust, which sounds like poo IMO. I couldn't buy a fun, sporty little car like that if it didn't have a good exhaust note.

In my case, though, I'm not "cross-shopping," as it were... I might buy one, I might buy the other, and I might buy both.

This would be a few years down the road... I'm not in the financial shape to pick up two new-car payments at this point.
Willing to bet that Chris won't be trading in his C6 for a Camaro.

Chris, correct me if I'm wrong, but you really wanted that C6.
Come on... Admit it... It's more than just a temporary ride... isn't it??

So ya bought a Solstice, huh?

Originally Posted by JB'z 94
well... me and my brother were going to get a Sky RL... then we were on the fence about maybe getting a Vette... now I am 98% sure we will be getting a CTS-V...

so it may seem ridiculous to compare certain cars, but it gets done.
But isn't that CTS-V is something you want based on it's own merit?

It's common for someone to start out intending to buy one car but then move to something more practical when they actually get close to actually buying. Starting at a Solstice then migrating to a 4 door performance sedan is far more likely than starting with a CTSv then ending up with a Solstice.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
But isn't that CTS-V is something you want based on it's own merit?

It's common for someone to start out intending to buy one car but then move to something more practical when they actually get close to actually buying. Starting at a Solstice then migrating to a 4 door performance sedan is far more likely than starting with a CTSv then ending up with a Solstice.
Yes, correct, just pointing out that cross shopping cars that seem to have nothing in common happens more than I thought..

well 3.6 cts to impala ss I can understand, but the base vette to mustang seems to happen alot too...
Old 08-04-2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by JB'z 94
Really make sure that is what you want. I would only get it if you have to have 4 seats. Sure they're fast, not they're not corvette. Not to mention regular bolt ons are 2-3 times the price as an f-body or corvette. They wheel hop BAD, and some go through rearends like crazy.

It was between a C5 corvette, CTS-V ,and a RL Sky for us. Well we didn't want to wait for the Sky, and since the C6 was out we didn't want an old corvette. So we got a V. Which is cool as hell, but you don't get that much attention in it. People just don't know what it is. Stock they run about even with LS1 f-bodys. IF it spins any it will sound like the car is falling apart due to the hop. And the list goes on. It seems to be a half assed effort by GM to make performance luxury. Although I've been told that it handles better than alot of performance cars, but thats not my thing.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:29 AM

Funny, many people think automatics are for people with vaginas between their legs. It will also be pretty funny when a Sky with a few bolt ons and boost turned up leaves your old LT1 Camaro.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
4 or 5 years with the same car is pushing it for me. LOL I hate driving the same car over 3 years.
You and me both.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Really make sure that is what you want. I would only get it if you have to have 4 seats. Sure they're fast, not they're not corvette. Not to mention regular bolt ons are 2-3 times the price as an f-body or corvette. They wheel hop BAD, and some go through rearends like crazy.
we know all about it... we are prepared for everything. Madman should be releasing their rear end for it within a year or 2... we will take it easy on the rear end until then, and not drive the thing hard at low speeds.. we have done ALOT of research, we definately know what we are getting into!

The guy who is selling it had no idea there were updates to do to the car, still has stock diff.

but thanks for the help nonetheless! hate to be someone stepping in with no idea!

Quick Reply: Camaro vs. Sky