2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

camaro's and mustang's in nascar??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:00 PM

camaro's and mustang's in nascar??

Is it true that nascar will be running the new camaro's and mustang's (and probably challenger too) in the busch series? I thought thats what i heard them say before the atlanta race today. that would sweet *** if they did, i would definately start watching the busch series more.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:59 PM

If it happens, I give it five years from introduction before the only thing differentiating them from each other are the headlight stickers again.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:29 PM

Since the "Car of Tomorrow" is due up in NASCAR which means all the cars will be officially alike it doesn't much matter what headlight or taillight stickers they put on. They really should just put Chevy, Ford, Dodge and toy on the nose and call it a day. To call those cars stock even if their shape isn't even close to the production cars is a sham. If the brands have any sales from the vehicles they use in NASCAR then by all means put the name on the nose and let it go.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:12 PM

I'm skeptical, they haven't done it in the past. I wouldn't doubt that they will put the Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger to work as a pace car though.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:39 PM

I heard that rumor too, but don't know if it holds any water or not.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:31 PM

They might as well make them "Camaros" ... they'd be a lot closer to being a "stock" Camaro than, say, a FWD Monte Carlo, or Lumina (going back a few years). At least the RWD / V8 engine part would be right .
Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 PM

I'd rather see the Camaro used in IROC again
Old 10-30-2006, 10:21 PM

I know that NASCAR has considered it, but if they change the looks of the cars to much, than I vote no. I know they wanted to use something to differentiate the Busch series from Nextel cup, and it would be very cool to see these cars going around the track..as long as they don't butcher them. I think it can be done similar to the firebird in IROC...although like CCoop said, I too would love to see the Camaro used in IROC again. Those firebirds can't last forever so they will at least need something to go on in that series.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:27 PM

I think expecting these cars to be anything more than aero packages over a full roll cage is expecting too much from nascar. Busch is still the proving ground for nextel cup, it cant be a competely different type of racing.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:35 AM

I hope they put the Camaro name in NASCAR. The monte carlo gains nothing from racing, but the Camaro would gain a lot of good press. Hopefully Chevrolet will drop the monte carlo anyway. I never see a new one.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by azfan
I hope they put the Camaro name in NASCAR. The monte carlo gains nothing from racing, but the Camaro would gain a lot of good press. Hopefully Chevrolet will drop the monte carlo anyway. I never see a new one.
monte carlo is already dropped... Impala SS is the new Chevy NASCAR
Old 11-04-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by FS3800
monte carlo is already dropped... Impala SS is the new Chevy NASCAR
I thought the Impala is used just or the hideous "Car of Tomorrow", and the MC will will be used for the other races
Old 11-04-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
I thought the Impala is used just or the hideous "Car of Tomorrow", and the MC will will be used for the other races
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...d.php?p=799733
Old 11-04-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by azfan
What exactly would Camaro gain from NASCAR???

NASCAR is a bad joke that has spent years moving any and all focus from the cars involved to the drivers and pit crews. NASCAR runs on the drama between drivers and creating "heros".

There is a reason Monte Carlo didn't gain anything from NASCAR. Same with Taurus, Grand Prix (why Pontiac pulled out), and Charger (which gets it's exposure from advertizing production models around the races). Ford has been racing the Fusion on the track for a year. Yet it's the decidedly non-NASCAR, younger, aftermarket based crowd thats making Fusion a success. You get the feeling Ford would rather hide the fact the car... er... the car's name is used in NASCAR.

NASCAR's quest to make all cars equal by throwing stickers on a standardized body does nothing for the car's image to anyone with a room tempreature IQ who realizes the cars going around in circles share nothing more with the production version than the spelling. Camaro would gain more lending their name to a dirt bike racer.

Chevrolet needs NASCAR to promote Camaro as much as they need a hole in the head or a case of the clap. In the 1st case the drawbacks outweigh any percieved benefits, and the latter case you'll never live it down.

Since Camaro has IRS, and is almost definately is going to be tuned at Nurbring, it's claim to fame is going to be associated on real race tracks in real racing with real stock based cars and get some real credibility.

Camaro gaining good press out of NASCAR???

That's like Corvette getting good press going off roading. Does zilch to showcase it's actual abilities.

Last edited by guionM; 11-04-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:06 PM

after doing some thinking...I think the best place for the Camaro, if it were to go to circle track, would be IROC, and only IROC. like I said, they can only use the firebirds for so long and they will be looking for something replace them later on. Its cool because there are only 4 races, so its not over done. I would like to at least see what camaro would look like if it were to do something like that

Quick Reply: camaro's and mustang's in nascar??