2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Can Camaro design accomodate motorsports modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 PM

Can Camaro design accomodate motorsports modifications?

Here's something for Scott to ask Chris Hoolihan the next time he sees him:

Since we are designing a production platform for Camaro now, is it possible to economically design features that would facilitate the adaptation of the chassis for common motorsports modification?

Specifically, the integration of defined anchor points for five-point race harnesses, and maybe unibody structure points where one might need to attach a six-point roll bar?

By this I do NOT mean that we add any eye bolts, extra steel, or fasteners of any kind. I mean we at least try to identify these common points during design, then attempt to reserve these points to keep them clear of stuff like wire routing, interior panels, fuel lines, etcetera. By identifying and reserving these areas of high probability it would make the adaptation of the new car for motorsports applications much, much easier. In fact, GM might even be able to then come with an official licensed kit in conjunction with an aftermarket manufacturer such as Teamtech, Simpson, S&W Race cars that would employ these pre-identified pickup points.

Hmm, I like the idea of a race harness with GM stamped on the buckles. Maybe we ought to get Kurt Tucker of Saginaw's Teamtech Motorsports going on this one, I'm sure he'd chomp at the bit for some of that action!

First, Identify the most common motorsports applications in which stock chassis vehicles are used:

SCCA Solo 1 and 2
Road race SSA
Drag race IHRA NHRA

Then, attempt to see if there are common rules overlap with regard to safety equipment mounting strategies. If so, then it should be possible to lay out the attachment points with highest probability, and reserve those locations for future use during the design for manufacturing process.

Last edited by ws6transam; 08-28-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:25 PM

Re: Can Camaro design accomodate motorsports modifications?

Dan, thats a damn good idea to at least get the engineers thinking about
Old 08-28-2006, 06:33 PM

[text removed for no real good reason]
Old 08-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ws6transam
[text removed for no real good reason]
Too bad, because I was going to respond to whatever it was that you posted. I forgot what you wrote, though, so now I can't.

I remember part of it, though, and I'm also anxiously waiting for a call from GM that will never come.

Anyway, that seems like a great idea to me.