2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Canadian Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3
Will the Camaro even be offered to the Canadian market? Why not complain to your leaders asking them to stop over valueing your dollar?

I would expect the prices in the US to go up before the Canadian prices come down much.
Ummm...HELLO...yes it will be offered here...ffs it is being built here!

Our leaders do not directly control the value of the dollar...no government does...it is a market thing.

Sadly, you are probably right...the prices will most likely stay higher here...
Old 02-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRick
The biggest problem with Canadians is we don't complain, so dealers / manufactures take advantage ..... If you dont want to get screwed, DON'T BUY IN CANADA!!

Here's a link with all the info on how to import, If the Dealers don't smarten up, The informed will be going this route... ( I know I will !! )

http://www.importcartocanada.info/

If you're not comfortable doing this on your own, you can always hire a broker ( usually 4-6% of the purchase price ). Still a great deal.... Just for fun, I've looked into buying a Malibu LTZ ( $34,000 cdn, $26,000 U.S. ) same car / options. , so You pay $1000-$1500 on top of the U.S. price, and they do it all for you.....

How about some of our U.S. delears who visit this site giving us Canucks a break.... Special groupe U.S. rate ??? I'll fly down south to pick up my new wheels.
Bookmarked that site!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:22 PM

There is NO WAY the Canadian price will be close to the American MSRP, we as Canadians are going to get f&^%ed again, one main reason is if they put the price where is should be that would mean you will be able to buy a Camaro for the price of a G5 GT or a G6, that's not going to happen.

I am also a Honda dealer (ATV-MOTORCYCLES) we have been hammered hard by the people going to the USA to buy, and they still are, we had a meeting with Honda, trust me it got pretty loud, they told us pretty much that they were f**&^^ng us as Canadians they had no arguments, move ahead 3 weeks all of a sudden they come up with HUGE rebate on all atv's i am talking $3600 off right to the dealer, that's huge when our cost was $10,500CDN. anyway it worked great we sold out made money.

Now GM (and all the others) and all the others are doing the same thing, and they don't give a rats *** about Canadians they will keep screwing us as long as they can. All that being said i love GM i just bought a new Vette last year, i couldn't go to the states to buy it because i needed the lease rate etc. I also don't blame them for hosing us, the markets bears it, so they charge us. Am i happy about it? of course not.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Either the price comes down, or they can close their plant and get the hell out of the country and stop selling cars here. If I have to buy in the U.S. I will and to hell with them.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:58 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4X4
There is NO WAY the Canadian price will be close to the American MSRP, we as Canadians are going to get f&^%ed again, one main reason is if they put the price where is should be that would mean you will be able to buy a Camaro for the price of a G5 GT or a G6, that's not going to happen.

I am also a Honda dealer (ATV-MOTORCYCLES) we have been hammered hard by the people going to the USA to buy, and they still are, we had a meeting with Honda, trust me it got pretty loud, they told us pretty much that they were f**&^^ng us as Canadians they had no arguments, move ahead 3 weeks all of a sudden they come up with HUGE rebate on all atv's i am talking $3600 off right to the dealer, that's huge when our cost was $10,500CDN. anyway it worked great we sold out made money.

Now GM (and all the others) and all the others are doing the same thing, and they don't give a rats *** about Canadians they will keep screwing us as long as they can. All that being said i love GM i just bought a new Vette last year, i couldn't go to the states to buy it because i needed the lease rate etc. I also don't blame them for hosing us, the markets bears it, so they charge us. Am i happy about it? of course not.
As what happened to you with Honda, the only change will come about when the dealers start yelling at the manufacturers.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hylton
As what happened to you with Honda, the only change will come about when the dealers start yelling at the manufacturers.
And they will only start yelling when we communicate our displeasure with our wallets...i.e.: not buying them in Canada (shipping them from US) or not buying at all. It is up to us to send the dealerships and GM Canada the message that we should not be fleeced.

Would Scott have any thoughts or comments on this?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:42 PM

Angry

Originally Posted by bigsjk
And they will only start yelling when we communicate our displeasure with our wallets...i.e.: not buying them in Canada (shipping them from US) or not buying at all. It is up to us to send the dealerships and GM Canada the message that we should not be fleeced.

Would Scott have any thoughts or comments on this?
You're right but that won't happen, we are going to beat the door to the dealership with our wallets full of $$$, we will pay above retail, just like in 1993. GM doesn't really give a **** because the cars are being sold one way or the other. The only way it will change is by doing like we did, and tell the manufacturer to stop taking advantages of us.
J-P
Old 02-10-2008, 04:31 AM

I feel your pain dear Canadians.

PS Speaking of getting raped... never lose sight of us poor Aussies who will have to fork out a good $60-75K for a Camaro V8.

$AUD= 0.90$USD
$AUD= 0.90$CAD
Old 02-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Disciple

GM Canada sets their own pricing based "marketing strategy" that is driven by "market conditions". Market conditions are a whole lot better in Canada now than they are in the U.S. so we can expect to continue to pay more for our cars ... from all the manufacturers.

What the dealers and manufacturers have going in their favor is that if you have a trade-in, want to lease, or want to take advantage of special finance rates, the option of buying south of the border is not available to you. Once you add the people that won't buy in the U.S. because of the inconvenience and risk, real or perceived, as a percentage of new car buyers/leasers those that would import from the U.S. are a very small number.

That said, 3 of the 5 vehicles in my sig were imported from the U.S. and I won't hesitate for a moment to do it again for a 5th gen if Canadian pricing is out of line.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Here's another link with information on importation. The only road block I've found, is that GM has informed all border dealer to NOT sell "new" cars to Canadians. I wouldn't mind picking up my second hand Camaro with 10 miles on the odometer. Hopefully we have a kind U.S. dealer amongst us who is willing to deal

http://www.carburner.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Old 02-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRick
Here's another link with information on importation. The only road block I've found, is that GM has informed all border dealer to NOT sell "new" cars to Canadians. I wouldn't mind picking up my second hand Camaro with 10 miles on the odometer. Hopefully we have a kind U.S. dealer amongst us who is willing to deal

http://www.carburner.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Bookmarked that too!

I am very afraid that the Camaro will be priced too high here...looks like the Canadian economy is going to do well (especially compared to US) over the next year or two...so that means we will get screwed...now the only thing to worry about is if GM will try to pull the "no cross border warranty" crap that some of the other manufacturers have done...

Oh and I forgot to mention that members of the APA can get pre-negotiated prices on cars (I think $600 above cost - dealer invoice) - I looked into that a while ago but never followed through...if anyone has done that, please post your experience here.

Last edited by bigsjk; 02-18-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Add more content.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Originally Posted by bigsjk
Bookmarked that too!

I am very afraid that the Camaro will be priced too high here...looks like the Canadian economy is going to do well (especially compared to US) over the next year or two...so that means we will get screwed...now the only thing to worry about is if GM will try to pull the "no cross border warranty" crap that some of the other manufacturers have done...

Oh and I forgot to mention that members of the APA can get pre-negotiated prices on cars (I think $600 above cost - dealer invoice) - I looked into that a while ago but never followed through...if anyone has done that, please post your experience here.
GM franchise agreement with U.S. dealers prohibits these dealers from selling to customers outside the USA... but as long as the car is eligible for importation into Canada (unlike '08 'Vettes) all a U.S. dealer really needs is an American address to deliver it to... so all you need is a cooperative friend or relative living in the U.S.
Interesting how GM cannot prohibit their franchised dealers from selling vehicles at more than MSRP if the market will bear it, but at the same time have the ability to dictate that they are prohibited from selling to Canadians.
Dealers not close to the border don't seem to be getting these directions from GM either.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by sselie
GM franchise agreement with U.S. dealers prohibits these dealers from selling to customers outside the USA... but as long as the car is eligible for importation into Canada (unlike '08 'Vettes) all a U.S. dealer really needs is an American address to deliver it to... so all you need is a cooperative friend or relative living in the U.S.
Interesting how GM cannot prohibit their franchised dealers from selling vehicles at more than MSRP if the market will bear it, but at the same time have the ability to dictate that they are prohibited from selling to Canadians.
Dealers not close to the border don't seem to be getting these directions from GM either.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Blame U.S. laws for that one.

The Camaro will likely be priced comparable to the mustang. If it's more up there, so will the camaro be.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 AM

Forget cars for now, I went to Banff (Half hour drive) I bought a bottle of five alive and a small coffee for the wife...$7.49

Now for cars, if our dollar wasn't so strong, i would have got anywhere between $15,000-$16,000 for my 95 Z28.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by PWR-TRIP
Forget cars for now, I went to Banff (Half hour drive) I bought a bottle of five alive and a small coffee for the wife...$7.49
Don't forget that is Banff, where everything carries a 1000% markup...