2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Contacting GM about that Camaro concept...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 AM

Re: Contacting GM about that Camaro concept...

Originally Posted by ferrarimanf355
CINO (Camaro In Name Only)
The concept can only be a camaro. No other name fits.

The concept was not intended to be retro, just influenced by previous generations.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
You do realize that Tom Peters also designed the C6 as well as the Camaro concept and Aztek. All designers have hit and misses. From what I've read the Aztek was a design by focus group that went wrong. Too many cooks in the kitchen.
Peters was also heavily involved with the 85 IROC which is one of the best looking Camaros ever IMHO. I'm SICK of all the Tom Peters bashing that goes on because of the Aztec. The car that was produced was actually quite different than the concept that Peters designed. That wasn't his fault, that was the fault of the commitees and the bean counters holding sway over the whole project, which is hopefully something Lutz will make sure does not happen with the Camaro.
And I'm with Stefan on this, to each his own, and the author of this thread is entitled to his opinion. Thank God though, you are in the extreme minority! Write GM all you want pal, but the car is coming, and it is 1000% CAMARO!!
Old 04-14-2006, 08:34 AM

Time to defend my comments...
I'm glad GM didn't include you in any focus group for the Camaro (not that there was any...). The last thing I want is a "Japanese Inspired Camaro".

I think it looks great, as does about everybody I've talked to Import and Domestic fans. This car has to reach out to Import owners, and Domestic owners alike if it is to survive.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by willz
Peters was also heavily involved with the 85 IROC which is one of the best looking Camaros ever IMHO. I'm SICK of all the Tom Peters bashing that goes on because of the Aztec. The car that was produced was actually quite different than the concept that Peters designed. That wasn't his fault, that was the fault of the commitees and the bean counters holding sway over the whole project, which is hopefully something Lutz will make sure does not happen with the Camaro.
And I'm with Stefan on this, to each his own, and the author of this thread is entitled to his opinion. Thank God though, you are in the extreme minority! Write GM all you want pal, but the car is coming, and it is 1000% CAMARO!!
I agree. The Aztec needed a better drivetrain and larger and more aggressive wheel/tire combination (like the Avalanche); with that I think it would have done better.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:17 AM

I can't believe you guys are being further baited into this discussion. This guy is obviously a troll an is looking to stir you up. He on one hand likes modern aero cars, then he also likes the Challenger and Mustang, but he hates retro, or does he like retro? His arguments don't follow any single train of thought. He's all over the map. In one post he makes points that are 180-degrees from another.

Besides with a screen name of ferrariman355, I'm guessing he's under 18 and would never be buying a new Camaro in the first place.

I can't understand why some of you are giving him the time of day. (Especially you Stefan. ) Particularly because by his statements it is obvious he's never seen the Camaro concept in person.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
This guy is obviously a troll an is looking to stir you up. He on one hand likes modern aero cars, then he also likes the Challenger and Mustang, but he hate retro, or does he like retro? His arguments don't follow any single train of thought. He's all over the map. In one post he makes points that are 180-degrees from another.

Besides with a screen name of ferrariman355, I'm guessing he's under 18 and would never be buying a new Camaro in the first place.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:44 AM

He on one hand likes modern aero cars, then he also likes the Challenger and Mustang, but he hates retro, or does he like retro?
Man I wish retro style and areo dynamics didnt have to be a contradiction in terms. Its just the front that isnt on 1st gen. The rear 1st gen roof is pretty sleek.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:01 AM

Actually, I turned 21 last month. The screen name is just a reference to the video game Ferrari F355 Challenge, which is one of my favorite racing sims. I love cars, any kind, just as long as they go fast.

Anyways, let me just add something. The thing that really makes me get mad is that this thing is just a couple of tweaks away from being perfect. The interior just screams "concept car!" to me, and is just impratical. De-chrome everything, use a steering wheel that won't make me wince in pain (the three-spoke from the Corvette C6 would be nice), and use the Corvette's radios (from the times I fiddled with them at the Chevy dealership, they are perfect enough as is- especially the navigation unit, with it's easy touch screen operation), and that will no longer be a problem. The exterior styling... where do I start? Let's go from back to front. Those are the two real lows of the exterior styling. The rear end... oh my God, those taillights are terrible, and the Bangle Butt is taken to new lows. And the exhausts... quad tips only, GM. Dual tips just don't make sense to me. So, those are three things to fix with the rear end- the Bangle Butt needs to be smoothed out, the exhaust needs two more tips, and the taillights need to go back to the drawing board. The rear fenders make the car look too wide. That needs to be slimmed down. I don't think this thing needs tires that wide. Door handles that evoke the ones used in the first-gen Camaro are needed to complete the doors. The side view mirriors look useless to me- use the ones from the Vette. Get rid of all the angles and creases on the lower parts of the car- leave those to Cadillac, please. The Gurney flaps should stay, though. Lastly, the front bumper grill needs to be rethought: less Jetsons and more '69 should do the trick.

Fix those problems, use 17-inch wheels that look like muscle car wheels, offer the HUD and six-speed paddle shifting automatic from the Vette, and price it all under $30K, and it will be perfect. The mechanical parts are sound enough- six speed manual (although the paddle shifting auto from the Vette would be great), rear wheel drive, an LS2 V8- there's no problem with those. It's the other stuff I mentioned that needs to be fixed.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 PM

Anyways, let me just add something. The thing that really makes me get mad is that this thing is just a couple of tweaks away from being perfect. The interior just screams "concept car!" to me, and is just impratical.
I couldn't agree more. I too was astounded that the concept Camaro has a concept-car interior.

Stick to the video games whydoncha.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:35 PM

Actually, I turned 21 last month. The screen name is just a reference to the video game Ferrari F355 Challenge, which is one of my favorite racing sims. I love cars, any kind, just as long as they go fast.

Anyways, let me just add something. The thing that really makes me get mad is that this thing is just a couple of tweaks away from being perfect. The interior just screams "concept car!" to me, and is just impratical. De-chrome everything, use a steering wheel that won't make me wince in pain (the three-spoke from the Corvette C6 would be nice), and use the Corvette's radios (from the times I fiddled with them at the Chevy dealership, they are perfect enough as is- especially the navigation unit, with it's easy touch screen operation), and that will no longer be a problem. The exterior styling... where do I start? Let's go from back to front. Those are the two real lows of the exterior styling. The rear end... oh my God, those taillights are terrible, and the Bangle Butt is taken to new lows. And the exhausts... quad tips only, GM. Dual tips just don't make sense to me. So, those are three things to fix with the rear end- the Bangle Butt needs to be smoothed out, the exhaust needs two more tips, and the taillights need to go back to the drawing board. The rear fenders make the car look too wide. That needs to be slimmed down. I don't think this thing needs tires that wide. Door handles that evoke the ones used in the first-gen Camaro are needed to complete the doors. The side view mirriors look useless to me- use the ones from the Vette. Get rid of all the angles and creases on the lower parts of the car- leave those to Cadillac, please. The Gurney flaps should stay, though. Lastly, the front bumper grill needs to be rethought: less Jetsons and more '69 should do the trick.

Fix those problems, use 17-inch wheels that look like muscle car wheels, offer the HUD and six-speed paddle shifting automatic from the Vette, and price it all under $30K, and it will be perfect. The mechanical parts are sound enough- six speed manual (although the paddle shifting auto from the Vette would be great), rear wheel drive, an LS2 V8- there's no problem with those. It's the other stuff I mentioned that needs to be fixed.
If you had said this in the beginning you would have got a better responce. Less insults, more constructive criticism. Even though I dont agree with most of this you would be more likely to be heard.

Personally I love the concept mirrors though Im not sure what you could see out of them. I do agree with the minimal chrome though I would like a 1st Gen Camaro Chrome script somewhere. Or in black if the chrome is too much. I dont think 1st gen exterior door handles belong on a new car. Some people shave them off the old ones.

Being a few tweaks away from perfect is alot different than almost throwing up.

But got to chevys site and click on contact us and let them know what you think. Loose the insults and form it as, "this is what would I like, I dont like, what would be better, and heres why"

Just my opinion
Old 04-14-2006, 01:15 PM

Red face Re: Contacting GM about that Camaro concept...

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
If you had said this in the beginning you would have got a better responce. Less insults, more constructive criticism. Even though I dont agree with most of this you would be more likely to be heard.

Personally I love the concept mirrors though Im not sure what you could see out of them. I do agree with the minimal chrome though I would like a 1st Gen Camaro Chrome script somewhere. Or in black if the chrome is too much. I dont think 1st gen exterior door handles belong on a new car. Some people shave them off the old ones.

Being a few tweaks away from perfect is alot different than almost throwing up.

But got to chevys site and click on contact us and let them know what you think. Loose the insults and form it as, "this is what would I like, I dont like, what would be better, and heres why"

Just my opinion
Well, it was a heat of the moment thing. I just saw a link to this site on Wikipedia, clicked, saw this thread and decided to vent a little.

A 1st Gen Camaro Chrome script on the trunk would be nice. It would complete the look.

I think the chrome 1st Gen-look door handles should at the very least be a dealer accessory, although it probably would be a laborious process to install them...

Thanks for your opinion. I'll tell Chevy soon about my two cents...
Old 04-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Well, it was a heat of the moment thing. I just saw a link to this site on Wikipedia, clicked, saw this thread and decided to vent a little.

A 1st Gen Camaro Chrome script on the trunk would be nice. It would complete the look.

I think the chrome 1st Gen-look door handles should at the very least be a dealer accessory, although it probably would be a laborious process to install them...

I agree with jg95z28, you are ALL over the place with your opinions. First you say that this car should stand on its own merits and not draft off the heritage of the first gen, now youre saying that if they just add a few first gen type things, it will be perfect....ROFLMAO
Old 04-14-2006, 04:01 PM

Whats funny to me is nobody ever listens to what those in the know say. How many on here think the production car will get that interior or 22 inch wheels and such. I love the car and sure will buy it but I know all the fancy look for the concept will not be in production.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
I agree with jg95z28, you are ALL over the place with your opinions. First you say that this car should stand on its own merits and not draft off the heritage of the first gen, now youre saying that if they just add a few first gen type things, it will be perfect....ROFLMAO
Did I say that? I was trying to say that if Chevy is going to go retro, they should go all the way.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:32 PM

No problem. I am trying to figure out how quad tip exhaust isnt messing with classic design. That one shocked me a little lol Anyway, welcome to the site!

Quick Reply: Contacting GM about that Camaro concept...