2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Dealers on Ebay taking money on Camaro before production and how you can help stop it

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:47 AM

Dealers on Ebay taking money on Camaro before production and how you can help stop it

The Ebay Pre Sale Policy says any item sold, has to be available within 30 days within the close of that auction. 2 years is greater than 30 days obviously so...

Edited because although an Ebay support tech has mentioned to report this as fraud and how to report it, the results of that were not great nor was the one responce when I got that far.

To find these ads:

Go to the www.motors.ebay.com
search on
Make Chevrolet
Vehicle Model Camaro
click on search
put 2003 in the min year and leave the max year empty
click on show items
This will list all the ads for concept

To report these ads:

Per Ebay Pre-Sale policy items for sale need to be available within 30 days of the close of the auction. Since 2 years from now is longer than the 30 days simply
1 Copy the item number
2 Go to the following link.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/pre-sale.html

you may have to login
click on report
enter the item number of the ad
Click send

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 09-02-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:06 AM

Re: Dealers on Ebay taking money on Camaro before production and how you can help stop it

Have any of the auctions you reported been pulled down?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 AM

Re: Dealers on Ebay taking money on Camaro before production and how you can help stop it

Great Idea. I hit both. Scumbag *******s. GM needs to deal with this crap once and for all.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Dealers on Ebay taking money on Camaro before production and how you can help sto

Nice...some are using photochop pictures made my members of this site that were posted on this site. Why do I have the assumptions that the people who created the images were not asked if they could be used for this?

Other than the obvious, that also stinks.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:11 PM

Re: Dealers on Ebay taking money on Camaro before production and how you can help sto

Originally Posted by R377
Have any of the auctions you reported been pulled down?
Not as of yet. I have reported a fraudulent 69 COPO sales in the past after I had shown that they were selling the exact same car as another user with the same pics and some of the same rehtoric, that took a couple hours to pull down so we will see.

I reported the place in line for convertible camaro auction through Ebay live help and they(ebay) were the ones who said using a concept to sell a production model is fruadulent. They spoke to someone in another department before they told me that. They(ebay live help) were also the ones who told me that I could report any future fraud under "report this item" at the bottom. So I made this thread after that conversation.

If using the concept is fraud, Id imagine using a chop to sell a non-existant car would be worse.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-30-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:03 PM

I have no problem with these guys taking names and setting up lists, but they shouldn't be selling allocation they have no idea they will even get. Fbodfather, if there is any way to talk to higher-up's, I know the Z06 crowd is saying the same thing "why allocate any cars to dealers who are more interested in the one sale and not the knowledge, follow up, or retention GM NEEDS with its customers right now?" More importantly, most of these people are true blue Chevy fans that may get a Mustang or import if treated poorly. This is a serious problem and getting worse with the hot cars GM is putting out (seen this with Solstice, Sky, Z06, and already Camaro!). Your dealer group heads should be all over this.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:20 PM

I reported the first dealer for using illegal pictures and asked the second how he/she was selling a convertible that is not being built yet. Let's see the response shall we.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 PM

Reported both, thanks for letting us know how to deal with these cons.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 PM

Here is my conversation with the dealer behind this ad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1

ME: I just wanted to tell you that this is one reason why people don't trust dealers. You only care about the sale, not about the customer. When I buy cars, if the dealer is marking up the car, I cross them off my list of dealerships I work with....for good. There is more money to be had from a customer than just the actual sale itself. When you try to burn people like you are doing here, you write off customers for life. Remember, this is a Camaro. There will be rebates on them a year after they are out. You'll be loaded with them.
Have a good day.

HIM: U 2 have a good day - so am I still off the list? I have not put a gun to anybodys head...I started this auction at a dollar......supply n demand is what makes the cost of anything - and by the way - the supply will be lowwwwwww.........how much was that rebate?

ME: I realize that some people have more money than brains, so shame on them. But you are out to take advantage of that. And this is not going to be a low production car. Do you not know what a Camaro is? Is the Mustang a low production car? Within a year or so, there will be more cars than buyers. So while you're price gouging, you'll be pissing off the people who WOULD have bought from you. They will remember that and never again put themselves in a position to be your customer because they will always know that at the end of the day, you are only out to make a buck on the initial purchase of that car. There will be plenty of dealers that will be willing to accept sticker (only the first year, then they'll be under sticker).
I will go out of my way to buy from a dealer that isn't putting a market adjustment on their cars.
Anyway, marking up a car isn't illegal, so enjoy it while it lasts I guess. Sure you'll get more money per car in the very-short term, but you'll feel it later.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:57 AM

Guy's GM and Scott are limited in what they can do to these dealers. Though I have to admit, I like the idea of being majically short on stock when it comes to these dealers. This thread is an attempt to go about this another way.

Let me also say that I dont like dealer mark up but if thats all this was I wouldnt be making such a stink. With this car, its just going to happen, at least at first.

First I gaurentee that at least SOME of these bidders think they are bidding on the car itself. After all it IS in the Automotive Auction section. Ebay is not set up for what these dealers are pulling. Buyers most definately are not buying a vehicle. That means that if they bid 15,000 on a 30,000 car then they are paying 45,000 for that 30,000 car IF that specific car is built or even delivered to that dealer.

Second they are taking money on cars that are not in show rooms, even going so far as to let the buyer configure this non existant car. Lets say you plop your money down expecting the Convertible RS version of the Z28. Production hits 2009, 4 months out from that convertible, 4 months from that Z28 and RS but alas Z28 is offered in RS but not offered in convertible much like the Z06.(in this senario) You paid for the chance to have first crack at that particular car so now what? 8 months out from the start of production almost 2010 to find out the car you paid to be first in line wont exist hypethetically SORRY! Now that particular car might exist in reality but I dont know that, the dealer CERTAINLY doesnt know that and he is taking money anyway and I have a major problem with that.

Its been a few hours, and I expected ebay to remove them by now based on what they told me. Ebay said they usually address it within 24/hr in the responding form letter. If someone has a better approach please post.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-31-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
If someone has a better approach please post.
Write them saying that you are reporting them to ebay for selling an item which does not exist and then tell them that you are reporting them to GM for defrauding the customers by selling something which they cannot guarentee to get it. That is fraud and they will be reported. If you are within the same state you could also report them to the BBB or the state attourney general's office because they are price gouging and that is against the law. If they prosecute it for $4 a gallon gas after Katrina then they should prosecute for $30K above sticker on a car that isn't going to be sold for years.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:51 PM

I just reported one who is trying to sell his place in line to buy a Camaro. He claims he already put $1,000 down and is trying to get $10,000 for that space.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Guy's GM and Scott are limited in what they can do to these dealers. Though I have to admit, I like the idea of being majically short on stock when it comes to these dealers. This thread is an attempt to go about this another way.
I disagree with this. I just can't go buy a piece of land, pave it, put up a building, order their cars and call myself a dealer.

They have to have an agreement/contract/lic ect to buy and sell gm's product. Gm has all the power. there are to many dealers anyway.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
I disagree with this. I just can't go buy a piece of land, pave it, put up a building, order their cars and call myself a dealer.

They have to have an agreement/contract/lic ect to buy and sell gm's product. Gm has all the power. there are to many dealers anyway.
As much as that makes sense, it doesn't work that way. GM does not have the power to tell dealers what to do because in basic terms, that would be antitrust.

We intereviewd Scott Settlemire about this subject in Podcast #50 a couple of weeks ago, and he laid out what GM can or cannot do and why.

Fire up your MP3 player and have a listen:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467181
Old 08-31-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
As much as that makes sense, it doesn't work that way. GM does not have the power to tell dealers what to do because in basic terms, that would be antitrust.

We intereviewd Scott Settlemire about this subject in Podcast #50 a couple of weeks ago, and he laid out what GM can or cannot do and why.

Fire up your MP3 player and have a listen:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467181
No I didn't mean the power to directly tell them what to do, but they do have the power to take away thier ability to sell gm's product.

Quick Reply: Dealers on Ebay taking money on Camaro before production and how you can help stop it