2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Diesel Camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:49 PM

Re: Diesel Camaro!

Based on what I've read, I'm thinking a 300hp V8 diesel twin turbo with the catalyst, particulate filter, and urea injection, and high pressure, ultra-fine mist injectors would probably add $5000 or more to the price over an LS-? engine. But who knows what further development and competitive pressures would do? The costs may come down quite a bit from what is predicted. It would probably depend on engineering or scientific breakthroughs. For example, if they could develop the diesel such that the particulate filter and urea weren't necessary, then that would lower costs significantly.

I'm guessing it would add 200 pounds to the front end also, though that may be a bit high. The turbos and heavier duty construction are going to be hard to lighten, so I wouldn't see the weight penalty decreasing much, except maybe if they can eliminate the urea injection system or particulate filter.

So the fuel efficiency sounds good, and the torque would be fun, but the cost and weight -- not so exciting.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by YZF/LS1 Freak
Isnt it one of the Audi cars that has a diesel that walked the C6R in one of the endurance races not to long ago and won?

The C6R would catch it in the corners but got walked in the straight line!

These newer diesels are not what they used to be, there is a newer Dodge truck around here that runs at least 11's from what I hear.
yep audi took first and second (i think) an lamons w/their diesel
Old 08-27-2006, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by YZF/LS1 Freak
Isnt it one of the Audi cars that has a diesel that walked the C6R in one of the endurance races not to long ago and won?

The C6R would catch it in the corners but got walked in the straight line!
Uh, the C6R and the Audi diesel car you mention don't race in the same class.

Again, the rules for the diesel car seem pretty generous to me.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Yeah, I think a lot of us are aware of it. I also feel that the rules in that particular class are stacked at the very least some for the diesel.
I wasn't saying that so much as mentioning it for anyone who hadn't seen it. The rules being what they are caused Audi to build it (I'm sure), but build it they did and it does run well.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:06 AM

AHH! GM I'm sure there's a market for this.........but, I'll take mine with an LS based Fuel-sipping, big-torque making monster of an engine. Thank you very much.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by SCNGENNFTHGEN
AHH! GM I'm sure there's a market for this.........but, I'll take mine with an LS based Fuel-sipping, big-torque making monster of an engine. Thank you very much.
See and I think your comment proves why this wont happen. A lot of us are talking about how cool a diesel would be.....but who would actually buy it over an LS engine? I don’t think any of us would. Same reason we are not getting a third 300 hp range V8, no one would buy with the 400 hp and 500 hp ones available.

Then again, I could be wrong, the overall buying public may take a different view than the enthusiasts; they may eat a diesel Camaro up.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:33 PM

I wouldn't rule out anything at this point.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:40 PM

I would definately consider a diesel Camaro. Seriously. I think we need more diesel CARS here, I know more are coming, but I think the production worthy diesel camaro would be too hit or miss, and could possibly blow up in GM's face. I would say its too risky.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
See and I think your comment proves why this wont happen. A lot of us are talking about how cool a diesel would be.....but who would actually buy it over an LS engine? I don’t think any of us would. Same reason we are not getting a third 300 hp range V8, no one would buy with the 400 hp and 500 hp ones available.

Then again, I could be wrong, the overall buying public may take a different view than the enthusiasts; they may eat a diesel Camaro up.
A V6 diesel might be better. Get the weight down closer to the V8 for handling, 35-40 MPG on the freeway, 1/4 mile in the high 14s. Of course, this makes a lot of assumptions, several of which may not pan out.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
A V6 diesel might be better. Get the weight down closer to the V8 for handling, 35-40 MPG on the freeway, 1/4 mile in the high 14s. Of course, this makes a lot of assumptions, several of which may not pan out.
Another interesting thought
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 AM

I'd be open to it. Smaller diesel with a turbo, sorta like a diesel powered Grand National.

The exhaust note is probably key for most of the market though, but I'm sure that could be worked out.

The tuneability of diesels make them very interesting. They are much quieter nowadays too.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 AM

I would be all over it if they offered it. I've driven quite a few TDI cars, both here and in Europe, and it is a completely different driving experience. I actually prefer driving a diesel over a gas car in everyday driving, and if the power was there I would enjoy it ALL the time. Unless you've driven a newer diesel vehicle(well, I should say diesel CAR) you just can't appreciate the mountain of torque AND the surprising acceleration. Last year I drove a 2006 MB E320 CDI and fell in love with it. That thing was like a freight train with the pedal to the wood, and at part throttle the torque(~370 lb-ft) was ridiculous.

Now, of course a pedestrian diesel vehicle, like a stock VW 1.9 TDI Beetle/Jetta isn't much fun, but with a little tweaking even a boring car like that can be a blast! Just think if we had a vhicle that started out with a relatively low weight(for a diesel) and was equipped with a "performance-tuned" diesel from the factory. On top of that, add in the ludicrous power that can be made with a diesel for very little cash and you have a winner in my book!