2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Is a 2 dr "Camaro like" upscale Caddy, BMW Competition a good idea?
Good Idea
85.71%
Bad Idea
14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think a Zeta Caddy would do well?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:26 PM

Do you think a Zeta Caddy would do well?

Simple question. Ive been wondering since last summer when Camaro was suggested to be on a Cheaper Sigma, Sigma lite as a possiblility. I kept looking at CTS on the road and trying to picture a Camaro then realized the platform should go right back to Caddy for a 2 dr BMW M6 competition.

Good Idea or no?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Disciple

Re: Do you think a Zeta Caddy would do well?

Good idea.

Similar car ... sells for more money.

Ends "discussion" about stuff like power/memory seats, automatic dual zone climate control, etc.

Just don't forget the "cabrio".
Old 04-05-2006, 06:11 PM

I have to admit I voted yes before seriously thinking about the question. While I do believe we will see a Zeta Cadillac, it won't be an upscale sister-car version of the Camaro. Why not you ask? Look at the direction GM is moving towards with their dealerships: Chevrolet with Cadillac; Buick with Pontiac and GMC. Do you honestly think Camaro side-by-side with a upscale Cadillac sister-car version in the same showroom would ever happen?

Now, if GM were to build an upscale version of the Camaro to sell in the Buick-Pontiac-GMC showroom, which brand would make the most sense?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:18 PM

While Caddy may get a Zeta, it's coupe will be Sigma.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:27 PM

i think that the xlr-v should be left for the M6 while a camaro sister would be better fitted for a M3 at around 50k with maybe a supercharged LS2. The camaro is 10 inches longer though...
Old 04-05-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Why not you ask? Look at the direction GM is moving towards with their dealerships: Chevrolet with Cadillac; Buick with Pontiac and GMC. Do you honestly think Camaro side-by-side with a upscale Cadillac sister-car version in the same showroom would ever happen?
Thats a fair question. I think youre forgetting XLR and Corvette though. Between Buick and Pontiac, Buick has been marketing itself as library quiet Lexus competition and GTO is comming back but we keep hearing NO Firebird. That makes me think Caddy. That also that begs the question how upscale Pontiac is going? Then again, to quote Bob Lutz "If we could magicaly stretch the Kappa Platform into a M3 type car, thats what Pontiac fans want" You may have something there...

One more question though. If Buick is affordable quiet luxury and Pontiac becomes sport upscale sports car. Is Caddy some kind of upscale mixture of the two?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
While Caddy may get a Zeta, it's coupe will be Sigma.
yeah, I meant a Camaro like, not necessarily Zeta. It let me change it for the poll but not the title of the thread.

Originally Posted by Still Lookin
i think that the xlr-v should be left for the M6 while a camaro sister would be better fitted for a M3 at around 50k with maybe a supercharged LS2. The camaro is 10 inches longer though...
What does xlr-v have in common with an M6????
Old 04-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Thats a fair question. I think youre forgetting XLR and Corvette though. Between Buick and Pontiac, Buick has been marketing itself as library quiet Lexus competition and GTO is comming back but we keep hearing NO Firebird. That makes me think Caddy. That also that begs the question how upscale Pontiac is going? Then again, to quote Bob Lutz "If we could magicaly stretch the Kappa Platform into a M3 type car, thats what Pontiac fans want" You may have something there...

One more question though. If Buick is affordable quiet luxury and Pontiac becomes sport upscale sports car. Is Caddy some kind of upscale mixture of the two?
I hadn't forgot about the XLR. The XLR and Corvette are different enough that they hit a different niche. I won't ever expect to see a Z06-like XLR for instance. I took your question to mean a Camaro sister-car. I honestly like the idea of a luxury Camaro, one that could have the AWD option sometime down the road than many seem to want. However, I don't see that sister car coming out of Cadilliac. Pontiac makes the most sense with the GTO and the parallel histories of Camaro and Firebird. However GM also wants a G8 or 4-door GTO at some point as well. (I hope they don't call it GTO, but I think you understand what I'm talking about.) I agree there is a market for a coupe version of the Solstice. If not a 2-seater then perhaps a 2+2 coupe. Perhaps GM wants to go in that direction with Pontiac.

I honestly do see a division though between Pontiac and Buick. Inspite of GM's attemts to bring a more youthful image to Buick, its still the old-people's division and most Buick owners are happy with FWD and while they want luxury, performance isn't neccessarily a necessity. Pontiac on the otherhand has always been more of a performance division. Look good, but get there in a hurry. Cadilliac then is the extreme level, the best of the best as far as luxury. Sure they have performance as well, but not at the point of sacrificing luxury.

If you think of it as a tree its easy to visualize. Chevrolet is at the base, the trunk, the meat and potatoes affordable performace and everyday brand. Move up the tree and the brands branch off. Buick is on one branch evolving into more of a luxury, style and grace from Chevy. On another branch is Pontiac taking a bit more style with a bit more performace. The main tree continues upward to Cadillac who encompasses it all, the most evolved, the most luxuriest, the best of the best. (Yes GMC is on there somewhere, but that's a different branch altogether.)

I think its obvious that a Camaro sister-car, if one is going to exist, should only come from Pontiac. Is that car the next GTO? Maybe, maybe not.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I hadn't forgot about the XLR. The XLR and Corvette are different enough that they hit a different niche. I won't ever expect to see a Z06-like XLR for instance. I took your question to mean a Camaro sister-car. I honestly like the idea of a luxury Camaro, one that could have the AWD option sometime down the road than many seem to want. However, I don't see that sister car coming out of Cadilliac. Pontiac makes the most sense with the GTO and the parallel histories of Camaro and Firebird. However GM also wants a G8 or 4-door GTO at some point as well. (I hope they don't call it GTO, but I think you understand what I'm talking about.) I agree there is a market for a coupe version of the Solstice. If not a 2-seater then perhaps a 2+2 coupe. Perhaps GM wants to go in that direction with Pontiac.

I honestly do see a division though between Pontiac and Buick. Inspite of GM's attemts to bring a more youthful image to Buick, its still the old-people's division and most Buick owners are happy with FWD and while they want luxury, performance isn't neccessarily a necessity. Pontiac on the otherhand has always been more of a performance division. Look good, but get there in a hurry. Cadilliac then is the extreme level, the best of the best as far as luxury. Sure they have performance as well, but not at the point of sacrificing luxury.

If you think of it as a tree its easy to visualize. Chevrolet is at the base, the trunk, the meat and potatoes affordable performace and everyday brand. Move up the tree and the brands branch off. Buick is on one branch evolving into more of a luxury, style and grace from Chevy. On another branch is Pontiac taking a bit more style with a bit more performace. The main tree continues upward to Cadillac who encompasses it all, the most evolved, the most luxuriest, the best of the best. (Yes GMC is on there somewhere, but that's a different branch altogether.)

I think its obvious that a Camaro sister-car, if one is going to exist, should only come from Pontiac. Is that car the next GTO? Maybe, maybe not.
Ok I can see that. I guess GTO might be closer to M6 size anyway. What I mean is more than cosmetic like the previous Firebird. Stuff like navigation and night vision that Caddy has but still let the car perform well enough to go up against BMW directly.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Caddy CTS coupe should be offered with AWD option
Old 04-06-2006, 06:10 PM

For the life of me, I still do not understand what the difference would be for a Pontiac based car off of Camaro, aka GTO, that seems fine for most everyone here, yet a Firebird based off it is denounced? What's the difference? Wouldn't the Pontiac car be eating up resources for Camaro? Anyone care to enlighten me?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Last of a Breed
For the life of me, I still do not understand what the difference would be for a Pontiac based car off of Camaro, aka GTO, that seems fine for most everyone here, yet a Firebird based off it is denounced? What's the difference? Wouldn't the Pontiac car be eating up resources for Camaro? Anyone care to enlighten me?
GTO has historically been bigger than the pony cars. That was part of the problem with GTO being the answer to Mustang in 04. Well bigger heavier and price. OF course didnt help matters that Ford went retro. Firebird is just Camaro with new sheetmetal. GTO would not be the same thing as Camaro where as Firebird was historically direct internal competition.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
GTO has historically been bigger than the pony cars. That was part of the problem with GTO being the answer to Mustang in 04. Well bigger heavier and price. OF course didnt help matters that Ford went retro. Firebird is just Camaro with new sheetmetal. GTO would not be the same thing as Camaro where as Firebird was historically direct internal competition.
Ok I get that. But if GTO is based on Camaro, wouldn't it be the same size and dimension? So basically the GTO will be the Firebird "replacement" which used to be the sister car to Camaro. There's still no difference to me unless GTO is larger.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Last of a Breed
Ok I get that. But if GTO is based on Camaro, wouldn't it be the same size and dimension? So basically the GTO will be the Firebird "replacement" which used to be the sister car to Camaro. There's still no difference to me unless GTO is larger.
Well I used to think GTO would be the new firebird in terms of being a Camaro rebadge. Now I kinda think that there will be more distance between the two. The easy answer would be bigger, but others here have suggested things such as the idea of a possible 4 dr coupe like Mercedees.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434650

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 04-06-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:39 PM

I'm not convinced GTO would be the same size as Camaro, or at least it will be significantly different if it was the same size.

I think we'll know more on this very soon.

Quick Reply: Do you think a Zeta Caddy would do well?