2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Even mule interiors are better than Dodge!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Let's put it this way. I'm as sure I WILL be able to read them, as you are that you won't
And you say that based on what?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
And you say that based on what?
Partly on observation... partly on faith. I have faith in what FBF has said, that we would not be disappointed. How about you?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
Fair enough. I can't argue any of that. As Z284ever said, they are basically console ornaments, and as such, some people might think they are stylish or cool because they are different, or because they are like a 1st gen, etc.

I'd also say that is fair enough, except, i can not believe that the console guages will not be bundled with some other packages that will be desirable, such as a performance package, or up-level interior trim package, etc. In fact, i'd almost be willing to lay money that the guage package will be included with the V8 package outright. Why? When's the last time you saw an 85+ Fbody with a V8 and no guages? Exactly. I think i might have driven a 83 berlinetta V8 one time that only had idiot lights, but that was a long time ago.

As for yanking them out, it might be possible to get the trim piece to cover it from the non-guage equipped cars, so it's theoretically an option. Problem is, based on the design of the interior, i have a hard time seeing anywhere you can really mount a nice guage pod. The center stack area is not flat enough to play with, without a lot of fab anyway, and tacking something on top of the dashpad would be as tacky as just using a hose clamp on the steering column as a mounting ring.

I'm against them because i like having guages that are useful. You yourself admit they are basically not. I can admit that some people might like them for style reason, why then can't you (and the others) just accept that some people crave function over fashion.

This whole for/against console guages argument boils down to that. The people for them are preaching up a storm about "so what if they are not in a great place to see them", and the rest of use keep defending reasons why we like to see them, only to be rebutted with "so what if you can't see them, go buy a dry sump oiling system and fabricate a new dash panel for your race car" or "modern cars never break anyway" and other such irrelevent filibuster.
So you're ignoring that whole "there will be redundancy" thing huh? You sound like you've never heard that what you want will be available in a better line of sight, most likely HUD. Really, if you have HUD what do you care if there are "extra" gauges on the console? I doubt the 3 pounds of extra plastic will slow you down that much.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by christianjax
I doubt the 3 pounds of extra plastic will slow you down that much.
In reality, I wonder how much those console ornaments add, both in weight and cost.