2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Fact or Fiction? PHR says 300 HP V6 Standard

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
or turbo it, under normal driving it will still get excellent mileage. SC is on all the time.
The supercharger spins all the time, but they put bypass valves in them so that you really only get boost at WOT.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2K1SunsetSS
Ok, if the new base v8 camaro doesn't run 12s in the 1/4 mile we were just lied to.

From what he said I get the feeling the l98 will be the base.
Did your SS run 12's in the 1/4? IF so was it stock?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
The supercharger spins all the time, but they put bypass valves in them so that you really only get boost at WOT.
You're right, I forgot about the bypass valves they have on them now.
However it is still a parasitic loss when the valve is open, because the SC is still spinning and they take power to spin. Granted it is less than when they are compressing, it still does take power to spin it. Add this, plus a AC compressor, etc etc, it all adds up. I know it's not like its going to rob 50 hp, but I would much rather see 2 small turbos which when not in use, have zero parasitic loss to the engine. They have to do all they can these days to try to meet that 35 mpg BS.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by i3arracuda
If the base Camaro retails for $25,000, then this car is dead on arrival.

Sure, a trick, 300-hp V6 is nice. I'd love to see one as an available option. As the base engine? At a 20% premium over a base Mustang? I don't see that being a formula for success. Especially when you consider GM expects to sell 100,000 cars per year.
I've said it from the beginning - it better not be one dollar more than the equivalent Mustang.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hylton
I've said it from the beginning - it better not be one dollar more than the equivalent Mustang.
I agree, 25K is too much for a base V-6 Camaro!!! The Mustang still comes in at 19,500 for the "cheapest" V-6 car with the ragtops starting at 24,300.

For anyone interested to see "comparable" mustang prices:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

Then click on the "MODELS" tab.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
I agree, 25K is too much for a base V-6 Camaro!!! The Mustang still comes in at 19,500 for the "cheapest" V-6 car with the ragtops starting at 24,300.

Sweet, $32,085 for a Premium GT convertible? I sure hope the Camaro comes in at that price.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
You're right, I forgot about the bypass valves they have on them now.
However it is still a parasitic loss when the valve is open, because the SC is still spinning and they take power to spin. Granted it is less than when they are compressing, it still does take power to spin it. Add this, plus a AC compressor, etc etc, it all adds up. I know it's not like its going to rob 50 hp, but I would much rather see 2 small turbos which when not in use, have zero parasitic loss to the engine. They have to do all they can these days to try to meet that 35 mpg BS.
I like turbos as well, but you don't necessarily get everything for free with them either... you do have to pump the exhaust out through the turbines even if they are pinwheeling at low load. Probably not as much a loss as you have free spinning a roots compressor, but it is still there.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by Hylton
Honestly, No-one's ever promised anyone that this would be the case...$1 more.....it'll be real close to an comparably equipped / powered Mustang.

BTW, the story is half wrong....
Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 PM

It will be more than the Mustang, way more than a dollar more, but not 20% more, either. Scott has already said that it will be within a few hundred dollars for most models.

The 286 horse 3.6 DI that is coming in the Traverse likely doesn't cost any less than the 300 horse one in the CTS, so I don't think using it instead would save money on the bottom line - even though Chevy would likely charge less for it.

And no matter what we do, Camaro will be 100% more expensive than the cheapest current Mustang with an independent rear suspension.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10

Devil's advocate chiming in...

Mustang GT is only 300hp. Camaro DI V6, 300hp. Theoretically speaking, 25k is right where the V6 should be placed.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid Slap

Mustang GT is only 300hp. Camaro DI V6, 300hp. Theoretically speaking, 25k is right where the V6 should be placed.
I CAST YOU OUT SATAN!!!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:58 PM

*MOST* buyers won't see it that way, though

Lets not forget the 6 speed trannys and IRS
Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Don't compare an 05 to an 010 GT
While the Mustang might go up a bit in price over a couple of years.
Don't bet on it being just 300hp by 2010.

Too many unknowns at this point to even bother comparing.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:31 PM

Keep in mind that you are comparing the Mustang GT to the (rumored) base model Camaro. Considering that the majority of all Mustangs sold are V6 models, and considering Ford's dominance in this market segment, how in the world would GM expect the Camaro to be a success if their (rumored) base model clocks in at a $5,000 premium?

Yeah, they might steal some sales from GT owners, or prospective GT buyers, but I guarantee you that those numbers won't be anywhere near enough to ensure the Camaro's success. It's going to be hard enough for the Camaro to compete as it is, without the benefit of platform sharing.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:36 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Honestly, No-one's ever promised anyone that this would be the case...$1 more.....it'll be real close to an comparably equipped / powered Mustang.

BTW, the story is half wrong....
Nobody is looking for promises. GM does not have to convince enthusiasts that the new Camaro is worth a few hundred/thousand more than the comparable Mustang. It's the people who do not even know that the Camaro is coming out who GM has to convince.

Do we honestly believe that the majority of people looking to buy either a Mustang GT 'vert or a Camaro SS 'vert are going to care that the Camaro has an extra *insert HP here* when it will cost 5 grand more? Most new Mustang GT owners rarely ring out the car anyways and I suspect the same will apply for the majority of Camaro Z/28 or SS car owners.

Quick Reply: Fact or Fiction? PHR says 300 HP V6 Standard