2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Fact or Fiction? PHR says 300 HP V6 Standard

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks Fbodfather....I'm gonna believe you above all else and assume that she misinterpreted the info or received incomplete info from her boss. I'll post if I hear anything more...otherwise I'll shut my trap on this issue.

As far as price....I have no problem paying $40,000 for a loaded high performance V8 camaro convertible. Sure the Bullit is only $33,000 MSRP loaded up. But its not a 400 HP car, and even "loaded" it does'nt have that many options. The current mustang has run its course because so many people are waiting for camaros and challengers. Ford chased me and others away with the ADM's on the GT 500 and now I'm glad. They're all over Ebay at MSRP now, and my local dealer has two on the lot he can't get rid of.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:33 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by detroitboy
As far as price....I have no problem paying $40,000 for a loaded high performance V8 camaro convertible. Sure the Bullit is only $33,000 MSRP loaded up. But its not a 400 HP car, and even "loaded" it does'nt have that many options. The current mustang has run its course because so many people are waiting for camaros and challengers. Ford chased me and others away with the ADM's on the GT 500 and now I'm glad. They're all over Ebay at MSRP now, and my local dealer has two on the lot he can't get rid of.
Let me guess, you're in your 20's right? First off, Ford does not control dealer mark-up and the only reason your local dealer can't get the two GT500's off his lot is because he is probably being a greedy pig. Don't think for a minute that Chevy dealerships will not be doing the same thing with the Camaro.

How can you claim that the current Mustang has run it's course when it's sales are strong? I do not believe that Ford Mustang sales will drop substantially this year due to Challenger purchases or people waiting for the Camaro. The top dawg Camaro is still a ways away and the Challenger will be very pricey if you want an SRT8.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Yeah, I'd have to see that to beleive it. Having no V8 in the F5 would be like, well that'd be as bad as getting involved in a land war in asia.

Are you being serious or is this some sort of flame bait?
Yes I'm serious. The Mustang was less attractive and would have its a$$ handed to it by a Camaro or Trans Am, yet it outsold them. WHY? Somepeople have NO taste. Is there a problem with that statement? On a CAMARO board???? Really? Flame away.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hylton
Let me guess, you're in your 20's right?
Lets not get stereotypical here. That has nothing to do with anything and you know it.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Z/28lover
Lets not get stereotypical here. That has nothing to do with anything and you know it.

Ha...not even near...and I could've paid for the GT 500 cash in hand. And the last article I read in the Detroit News said mustang sales were down 20%.....
I just don't like the idea of walking out of a car dealer with the words "CHUMP" visually stenciled in on my back by the salesman for paying ADM.

My deposit is already in for the convertible with "guaranteed at MSRP" written on the receipt. How about yours?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hylton
Let me guess, you're in your 20's right? First off, Ford does not control dealer mark-up and the only reason your local dealer can't get the two GT500's off his lot is because he is probably being a greedy pig. Don't think for a minute that Chevy dealerships will not be doing the same thing with the Camaro.

How can you claim that the current Mustang has run it's course when it's sales are strong? I do not believe that Ford Mustang sales will drop substantially this year due to Challenger purchases or people waiting for the Camaro. The top dawg Camaro is still a ways away and the Challenger will be very pricey if you want an SRT8.
FROM DETROIT NEWS TODAY: The current Mustang opened the window to the latest pony car craze. The retro-styled, redesigned 2005 Mustang arrived at precisely the right time. Sales jumped 24 percent the first year and topped 166,000 units in 2006.
But how expectations have changed. Forty years ago, Ford sold 425,000 1968 Mustangs, and that wasn't even one of the good models. Last year Mustang sales dropped to 134,000 units. By comparison, Toyota Motor Corp. sold more than 180,000 Priuses in 2007.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by detroitboy
FROM DETROIT NEWS TODAY: The current Mustang opened the window to the latest pony car craze. The retro-styled, redesigned 2005 Mustang arrived at precisely the right time. Sales jumped 24 percent the first year and topped 166,000 units in 2006.
But how expectations have changed. Forty years ago, Ford sold 425,000 1968 Mustangs, and that wasn't even one of the good models. Last year Mustang sales dropped to 134,000 units. By comparison, Toyota Motor Corp. sold more than 180,000 Priuses in 2007.
There were only 3 major manufactures in 1968. Today there are at least 6. In 1968 the number of "car models" to chose from was MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller than today. I'd say 134K mustangs per year in today's market is one hell of an accomplishment

Edit: After thinking about it some, there's really at least 10 major players in the US market now. You can't really dismiss BMW, Hyundai, VW, or Kia. There's also the domestics and "imports" counterparts (ford/mazda, GM/Isuszu). Holy crap there's a lot of car companies now

Last edited by Silverado C-10; 02-12-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
There were only 3 major manufactures in 1968. Today there are at least 6. In 1968 the number of "car models" to chose from was MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller than today. I'd say 134K mustangs per year in today's market is one hell of an accomplishment
You are very correct!!!

Not just more companies but the fact Coupes are a hard sell in todays market. At 134K Ford is doing very well. It is just a Sedan and Cross over market anymore.

GM and Chrysler will rob a few sales but Ford will continue to sell Mustangs. Just being the only Coupe in this class has been an advantage but in the future each MFG will have to fight for each sale.

The coupe has proven to be a limited market unlike the past where it was the dominate market.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by fastball
As for the V6s, based on the spy shots of the engine in the prototype, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the one and only base V6 will be the 3.6 DI VVT. Why do I think DI? Because the Chevy Traverse will have the DI'd 3.6 standard. And there ain't no Camaro, no matter how base, barebones, no options, no V8, no nothin in the world that is going to play second fiddle to a crossover SUV.

That also goes along with GM's new order of vehicle releases, whereas each new model is progressively better than the models introduced or redesigned as recent and last year, even if they are built on the same platform and compete at a lower end price point. The Traverse will have the DI'd 3.6, and currently all the other Lambdas use the non DI'd 3.6, even though the Enclave is about $10k more expensive and in an upper end of competition.

So, my bet for the base V6 in the Camaro is the DI 3.6.

For the record...all Lambda's for 2009 get the DI 3.6. I think that the DI 3.6 is a good deal for all of GM. More power, zero sacrafice to gas milage. I wonder what will happen with the DI V8's.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 AM
BBOMG Organizer

I agree that 100,000 in volume sales in the coupe market should be considered as successful in this day and age. Anyone know how many Vettes were sold last year?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM

About 33k, down a little from 35k.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 AM

33,685, down 7.8% over 2006.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...03/074342.html

*Edit: I guess I was a little slow on the Vette Numbers

The only problem with the DI V-6 (and I believe Motor Trend commented on this and made a "big deal" about it) but apparently they DI motors have a somewhat coarse/loud sound to them under load and acceleration. A major no no in today's "everything must be perfect and not a single squeak or rattle had better be heard!" market. I know it's a Camaro, buy y'all know how magazines and comparisons can tear a new car apart...

I can see it now:

"The Camaro's new DI V-6 blows the doors off the current Mustang V-6 offerings in fuel mileage, power, and acceleration, but we found it sounded too coarse and loud for a muscle car, so we recommend the V-6 Mustang over the V-6 Camaro."

Last edited by Silverado C-10; 02-12-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 AM

It, along with every DI engine, makes a ticking noise. My friends 07 GTI ticks like a diesel when its cold.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Personally, I don't care what 6 banger they put in the car as long as it has *****, gets good gas mileage and stickers in the low 20's.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by christianjax
Yes I'm serious. The Mustang was less attractive and would have its a$$ handed to it by a Camaro or Trans Am, yet it outsold them. WHY? Somepeople have NO taste. Is there a problem with that statement? On a CAMARO board???? Really? Flame away.
Lol, I'd argue nearly 500,000 people disagree with you based on thier purchase alone and there are probably three times as many that would disagree more, and I'd say that it isn't because of lack of taste, ergo your standpoint is invalid (especially since taste is an opinion and entirely subjective and seldom universal). I guess performance can be objective, but the bulk of its significance is really for magazine types to stroke or **** on egos to sell magazines (and the reasons for the f-bods hiatus have been discussed ad nauseam) and as for making that statement on a Camaro board making it valid - yeah I guess in the same way sticking your head in the sand makes the bogey man go away.

Quick Reply: Fact or Fiction? PHR says 300 HP V6 Standard