2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Are True Duals Too Loud For the Everyday Car Buyer?
Yes, there should be a silencer option on the new Camaro
9.22%
No, the concept is intentionally loud, factory t/d won't be too loud
90.78%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Factory True Duals: Too Loud for Non-Enthusiasts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
A non enthusiast is going to buy a V8 Camaro? No they are going to buy the V6 if any.
Wrong!! Have you ever noticed how many blonde women you see driving Mustang GT's?? Tons!! And old retired farts () driving around in GT convertibles, Z28's, Corvettes ..... all V8 cars ..... who look/drive like they're asleep at the wheel?? They don't look any more "enthusiastic" about having their big V8 than Gramma driving her Buick to the shopping center .

The "average" car buyer would probably be content with the V6 Camaro, and that's good ... they're the sales that keep the car afloat. But then you've got your "average" car buyers who get buttered up by good salesmen, who tell them just how "incredible" this V8 Camaro is going to perform, and the power it will have to get out onto the highway, and they tell the attractive blonde just how "hot" she looks sitting in that V8 convertible, and BAM! ... a non-enthusiast is cruising the streets in a car that has way more potential than they even realize or will EVER use, but it's another V8 Camaro no matter how you cut it .

And some "average buyers" may not know a damn thing about what's under the hood, but maybe they just know (because someone at work was talking about someone else who has a brother who has a V8 Camaro and says it's "awesome") that the V8 is the "car to have", and maybe they heard one fire up one day, and they say to the salesman, "I want the V8". They might not have any other reason but they think it sounds good, or because they know somebody who said they're great, well, that's good enough for them!!

We "enthusiasts" already have our minds made up before we even get there ... except maybe "what color", or what options do/don't you want .
Old 11-10-2006, 01:57 AM

What the hell does true duals have to do with exhaust noise?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:35 AM

IMO, true duals do produce a different "sound" or "tone" than 2-into-1, but the volume really depends on the mufflers / other sound deadeners in the system.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
just make it sound good. and not too quiet, especially for the v8 models. thats one thing ford has always done right. there v8's sound amazing from the factory
I agree there v8's do sound awesom from factory.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
If i could have a car that made no noise no matter how fast it was running i'd take it.
Look at electric cars then. Not to be sarcastic, but seriously. Check out Tesla motors. 0-60 in 4 seconds! Will cost a bit more than the Camaro, but I don't know your income level. If you don't care about speed (yet look at Camaro boards!), then try a hybrid.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 PM

If it doesn't have dual exhaust I wont buy it. Period. I had a Formula that ran 12's and hated it cause the sound and envied mustang owners because of it. Now I drive one. IMHO a V8 sounds like crap with single exhaust. I need my flowbee's.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by formulaon18s
If it doesn't have dual exhaust I wont buy it. Period. I had a Formula that ran 12's and hated it cause the sound and envied mustang owners because of it. Now I drive one. IMHO a V8 sounds like crap with single exhaust. I need my flowbee's.
thats a stupid reason not to buy it. exhaust is one of the easiest things to change.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
thats a stupid reason not to buy it. exhaust is one of the easiest things to change.
Beat me to it.... I was going to say the same thing.... but to each his own i suppose.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:28 PM

Yes, I realize that. But I went through 4 exhausts on my Formula. Started with stock then put a flowmaster dual exit, didn't like that so I tried a flowmaster single exit, better but not good. Then tried a dynomax bullet. Still didn't sound good. Then I put true duals with 3" 40 series flowmasters and it sounded F'n awesome. Problem was it only left me with about 3 inches of ground clearance. Could not do speed bumps or exit some places I had to exit. So that had to go. Then I installed a Dynomax cat back and back to raspy crap sound again.

I know its my own opinion but...

Dual exhaust > single exhaust of any kind I've ever heard.

Why would I want a fast, bad *** looking car that I think sounds like crap?

I now drive a 215hp 97 GT that sounds "tougher" than my 375hp formula did.

Last edited by formulaon18s; 11-19-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Beg to differ.... a bit. Trying to find the right sound without hit & miss is actually pretty difficult unless you come across someone who already has a sound you like.

I agree with everyone who says Ford's Mustang GT exhaust has far better factory sound than any stock F-body V8. But giving a broad stroke to an entire brand is getting a little shakey. Cobras are nortoriously quiet compared to Mustang GTs.

Dodge Ram Rumble Bees have the best factory truck exhaust sound IMO, and I'd still give the Pontiac GTO the award for best sounding car exhaust.

Last edited by guionM; 11-19-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:28 PM

For me, The louder the better. I hate driving a car i can't feel or hear.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 PM

I always thought the factory LT1 exhaust had a nice tone to it. Even though i have the hooker cat back now i would still say the factory LT1 system was not bad at all.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:41 PM

By guionM: I agree with everyone who says Ford's Mustang GT exhaust has far better factory sound than any stock F-body V8. But giving a broad stroke to an entire brand is getting a little shakey. Cobras are nortoriously quiet compared to Mustang GTs.
I was always under the impression that the firing order and cam timing of Mustangs made them sound better.
Wonder if GM considered testing different timing events affects on LS motor's sound??(Maintaining performance, ofcourse..)
Old 11-24-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Wrong!! Have you ever noticed how many blonde women you see driving Mustang GT's?? Tons!! And old retired farts () driving around in GT convertibles, Z28's, Corvettes ..... all V8 cars ..... who look/drive like they're asleep at the wheel?? They don't look any more "enthusiastic" about having their big V8 than Gramma driving her Buick to the shopping center .
Haha, that cracked me up. I'm picturing those very drivers now...

When I worked at a gas station at my younger age, we always said why is it always some old fart driving Vettes, Porsches, etc. They couldn't possibly know how to enjoy those sports cars (although, now I realize some of those old farts could be pretty good drivers. Just think about those older gents driving in SCCA World Challenge series).

I remembered when my old boss bought a convertible Vette. I asked why buy a convertible (with auto, too) when a coupe is more sporty. His exact answer, "I just wanna be seen".

God Bless those semi-enthusiasts who buy our Camaros. If they're helping to keep our Camaro alive, the more the merrier.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:22 AM

I vote for Stainless TRUE LT headers flowing to TRUE 3.5" Dual exhaust with ONE cat (for LEGAL reasons ONLY) on EACH pipe (NOT a shared dual-in, dual-out cat) with a single TWO CHAMBER Flowmaster on each pipe.
Make mine GOOD 'n LOUD !
If it wakes the neighbors, TUFF !
Loud IS the RIGHT sound for a musclecar, PERIOD !
And don't say factories can't equip cars with headers....every single 86-93 5 litre Mustang came with factory headers.

Last edited by EnerjetF67; 11-29-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Factory True Duals: Too Loud for Non-Enthusiasts?