2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

First quarter of 2009 is too far away. GM blew it's chance

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:02 PM

Re: First quarter of 2009 is too far away. GM blew it's chance

Originally Posted by danno02SS
I just don't understand why they can't pull a Solstice, 24 mos from approval to dealer. If GM can do that with a clean sheet design they should be able to meet or beat that development cycle given that some work on the Camaro had already been done.

Because they need a plant to build it in. An if they build it at Oshawa...theirs cars currently being produced there. It will be a few more months before they can stop production and begin retooling for zeta. I think its been said, Wilmington was our only shot at an early camaro...
Old 08-16-2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang Killer57
Because they need a plant to build it in. An if they build it at Oshawa...theirs cars currently being produced there. It will be a few more months before they can stop production and begin retooling for zeta. I think its been said, Wilmington was our only shot at an early camaro...
Has GM officially selected Oshawa?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:35 AM

Has GM officially selected Oshawa?

Honestly, i have no idea. But from what i've been reading on here, it seems the beginning of 09 projection leans towards it. Personally, I wish they would officially put it somewhere to get it out ASAP...
Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 AM

I just don't understand why they can't pull a Solstice, 24 mos from approval to dealer. If GM can do that with a clean sheet design they should be able to meet or beat that development cycle given that some work on the Camaro had already been done.
Solstice wasnt 24 months...it had problems and delayed..
Old 08-16-2006, 03:49 PM

You know Ford would love to beat the Camaro to the marketplace. I don't think I can wait over two years for the Camaro. Looks like I might have to go in another direction. Or just keep driving my two Camaro's into the ground.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by VOODOO84ZF
You know Ford would love to beat the Camaro to the marketplace. I don't think I can wait over two years for the Camaro. Looks like I might have to go in another direction. Or just keep driving my two Camaro's into the ground.
well, latest news is the Mustang's redesign is postponed till 2010, so at least the camaro will beat it to the market

still the Challenger will probably beat the camaro by 6 months at least
Old 08-16-2006, 04:53 PM

Spring 2008 is the latest I want to see Camaros hit the streets. They need to be ready for summer fun.

The Concept to production gap needs to be shorter than 3 years. Mustang had no problem showing a concept one year at NAIAS, then the production the next, then selling them later that year.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Spring 2008 is the latest I want to see Camaros hit the streets. They need to be ready for summer fun.

The Concept to production gap needs to be shorter than 3 years. Mustang had no problem showing a concept one year at NAIAS, then the production the next, then selling them later that year.
But this is GM we're talking about...a company too big to get out of its own way when it starts to fall.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:15 PM

Is that true about the Mustang not hitting the streets until 2010? That could be really great news for the Camaro.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:14 PM

There's a lot of good stuff here and a lot of BS/bad information too. I've learned a lot about the concept and it's development in the past few months. At Camaro Superfest we were lucky enough to have Tom Peters and Brian Smith do a presentation at the dinner. The original "secret" Camaro concept project started in 2004 when one of the managers had asked if anyone had been thinking about or doing any work on a new Camaro concept. Brian was the original lead designer and had penned a concept based on early 2nd gen cars. While his drawing was interesting I'm glad management wanted to do something based off the 1st gens. There were several iterations and ideas for 1st gen based concepts. There were actually design "contests" that came from designers at GM across the globe. A second design team was put together about 8 months before NAIAS to come up with a design on their own to compete with Brian's exsisting team. They wound up taking ideas from both teams and combining them into the current concept. There was a lot of thought and effort on all the designers parts to come up with this car. While at the time of the concept the Zeta platform wasn't completed yet, it was being worked on. Currently the Holden Commodore(? I think that's what was just released) is built on the Zeta platform. The concept is just a plastic body and that's the biggest reason the concept can't be driven over 30mph. It's VERY expensive and wasn't built to be a test mule, just a concept/show car. It is a beautiful car to see driven. I was lucky enough to be one of the 250 special invites at the NAIAS and I was also at the production announcement in Warren last week and got to see it driving both places. It looks even more stunning outside in the daylight driving around. The designers are hard at work making the car conform to all regulations and still keep the looks and attitude of the concept. While the "its farther along than we know" part is somewhat true, it's mainly in regards to the chassis and drivetrain. The body is still what needs to be modified for full production and then have a plant set up to produce it and run test cars through and then quality check them, endurance test them, crash test them and whatever else needs to be done before production can begin. I know we all want it out sooner but the stuff that needs to be done takes time and they're working as hard and fast as they can to get it done and make it RIGHT. I'm glad one of their top priorities is overall quality and not just getting it out to market quickly. That speaks volumes for how GM's corporate philosophy has been turned around. I truely believe they have gotten rid of most of the bean counters running the place and now have genuine car people that want exciting, quality vehicles to be produced. Ed Pepers seems to be a really nice guy and a car guy as well. After the announcement last Thursday he was walking around talking to all the Camaro/Firebird owners that were there and signing autographs for people(including me). He made sure to thank everyone that talked to him for coming out and supporting the new Camaro. Everyone at GM seems excited about the new Camaro. Brian and Tom had said they couldn't believe the number of people that wanted to be involved with the new Camaro project and they put in a LOT of 16-18 hour days and more working on getting the concept together. THAT shows they were doing it not as a job, but as a love of the car they were creating. I can wait till 2009. I know it'll be the most kick *** Camaro EVER!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
well, latest news is the Mustang's redesign is postponed till 2010, so at least the camaro will beat it to the market

still the Challenger will probably beat the camaro by 6 months at least
completely different design. More retro, bigger car more expensive. I dont think it will matter that much. Or thats the way it seems to me anyway...
Old 08-17-2006, 10:31 AM

If Camaro does not beat the re-designed Mustang to market will likely fail.
Oh come on. You guys are acting like no one ever buys new cars anymore.

The first Camaros yielded a 3-year head start to the phenomenally successful original Mustang... and did fine. Camaro did fine up until it wasted on the vine after MY2000. The new Camaro will be a success.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:50 AM

I think what you're witnessing is not ambivalence toward "Keep The Faith" with regards to the 5th gen, rather ambivalence and doubt over "Keep The Faith" with regards to GM in general. The example you show below is precisely why 99% of us are in doubt about GM's ability to properly execute a good idea. It is hard to "Keep The Faith" in a company that has demonstrated quite well over the past 20 years an utter perfect ability to miscalculate, mismanage, under engineer, overprice, mis-market and become a nearsighted shareholder entity.
You're entitled to your opinion like anyone... but I totally disagree with it. Sure, GM has lost marketshare in those years... but GM has also turned out some magnificent successes in that time. The IROC-Z Camaros... 1988 Silverado... ZR2 Pickup and Blazer... LT1/LS1 Camaro/Firebird... the 1997 Grand Prix... C5/C6/Z06... the first and current Avalanche... H2, CTS and CTS/V... the new Tahoe (which was released on a compressed, pushed schedule BTW)... the Cobalt SS, Solstice, Trailblazer SS, and 400HP GTO of today. You DO NOT have all those successes by accident. It took a lot of hard work, good engineering and yes, even marketing/management prowess to make all those vehicles happen. So how about keeping a little perspective here....
Old 08-18-2006, 08:32 PM

I think the point is we all want the Camaro to get the biggest marketshare possible. If it were to have a year lead time on the new Mustang it could only be a good thing.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bow94z
I totally agree with you, Ford will already have their "new" stang in showrooms by the time the Camaro Concept hits the streets
SO WHAT. AT LEAST WE ARE GETTING THE CAMARO. NO GM GUY IS GOING TO BUY A MUSTANG CAUSE HE CAN GET IT A YEAR OR TOW EARLIER.

The only thing that worries me about the timeline is

1. We are going to be in a deep recession
2. Possible price of gas/insurance.

Last edited by JCS30TH; 08-28-2006 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: First quarter of 2009 is too far away. GM blew it's chance