2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

First quarter of 2009 is too far away. GM blew it's chance

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:40 PM

Re: First quarter of 2009 is too far away. GM blew it's chance

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
1. We are going to be in a deep recession
Did Miss Cleo tell you this?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by msgZ28
Hahaha! I haven't read the whole thread, but that was funny!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:54 PM

Thumbs down Re: First quarter of 2009 is too far away. GM blew it's chance

Originally Posted by msgZ28
bwhahah miss cleo.

Perfect storm man.

Housing market taking a ****, interest rates increasing, no end in site on oil prices,consumers are pulling back on spending, libs posed to take over in 08 means higher taxes, more regulation.

In the 90's it was the stock market drive consumer spending, now it has been the houseing market which is dying a slow death. The fact is most consumer spending is not being derived from waget growth only debt load.

Not ot mention over 50% of mtgs over the last few years are high risk var rate loans that are resetting and doubling or more peoples house payments.....................
Old 08-28-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by danno02SS
I just don't understand why they can't pull a Solstice, 24 mos from approval to dealer. If GM can do that with a clean sheet design they should be able to meet or beat that development cycle given that some work on the Camaro had already been done.
I suspect it's being streched out because of the plant.

Since they didn't choose Wilmington, and GM is going for 90% utilization with their plants, I'd bet pretty heavily that there's other plans for Wilmington around the same timeframe as Camaro.

BTW: Solstice took quite awhile longer than 24 months to get to production. It took GM almost that long to give the thing final approval.

Originally Posted by danno02SS
Has GM officially selected Oshawa?
Yes. Week before last.

Originally Posted by VOODOO84ZF
Is that true about the Mustang not hitting the streets until 2010? That could be really great news for the Camaro.
2010 model year. Should be in showrooms late summer 2009.

Camaro will probally hit the streets early. I'd wager on late fall 2008.

Challenger's supposed to be out by the end of 2007, early 2008.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:18 PM

I'd suspect early release dates are seldom planned, so comparing the fact that other cars came out way ahead of schedule is a waste. Haven't you ever worked against a deadline or tried to finish something quickly but things go wrong and hold you back? Building a car probably isn't very different.

It could come out when they say, or it could come out early.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

I agree on a late 2008 release
Old 08-28-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
2010 model year. Should be in showrooms late summer 2009.

Challenger's supposed to be out by the end of 2007, early 2008.
That is a major problem. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If GM is gonna wait that long they might consider updating the car's exterior design...The people that were saving up for a 5th gen are gonna splurge on the Challengers. Then, Ford will conventently set the Mustang up in some nice lighting and some spy shots will be on the net before the first Camaros roll off of the assembly line.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:45 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

SO WHAT. AT LEAST WE ARE GETTING THE CAMARO. NO GM GUY IS GOING TO BUY A MUSTANG CAUSE HE CAN GET IT A YEAR OR TOW EARLIER.

The only thing that worries me about the timeline is

1. We are going to be in a deep recession
2. Possible price of gas/insurance.
Keep one thing in mind: The largest volume year ever for Camaro? 1979 with over 282,000 Camaros sold. (and a lot of Firebirds as well)

The country was in a recession -- double digit inflation AND double digit interest rates...and rising fuel costs. I used to get so frustrated with younger 'marketing types' that didn't know this....................
Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Keep one thing in mind: The largest volume year ever for Camaro? 1979 with over 282,000 Camaros sold. (and a lot of Firebirds as well)

The country was in a recession -- double digit inflation AND double digit interest rates...and rising fuel costs. I used to get so frustrated with younger 'marketing types' that didn't know this....................
And there was also slight to no competiton from imports or other vehicles like trendy
suvs . . .
Old 08-29-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by triggerjerk
And there was also slight to no competiton from imports or other vehicles like trendy
suvs . . .
Well don't quote me on this... but Im pretty sure Camaro was not THE ONLY DAMN CAR PRODUCED in 1979, or the only coupe or the only sports car.

Im sick of people saying this, its beyond stupid.

Thirty five years that included the muscle car wars, two recessions, a gas crisis and the huge number of coupes that were available in the nineties and you are telling me...

That one car in direct competition, and one thats sorta similiar... is going to kill what is not only probably the best Camaro ever but GMs next "gotta get it right" car?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Well don't quote me on this... but Im pretty sure Camaro was not THE ONLY DAMN CAR PRODUCED in 1979, or the only coupe or the only sports car.

Im sick of people saying this, its beyond stupid.

Thirty five years that included the muscle car wars, two recessions, a gas crisis and the huge number of coupes that were available in the nineties and you are telling me...

That one car in direct competition, and one thats sorta similiar... is going to kill what is not only probably the best Camaro ever but GMs next "gotta get it right" car?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

Yes this is true, but the market was a lot different back then and GM had a much bigger share of it. Personally I think the car will be a huge hit (depending on how much involvement gm's current marketing group has with it. Can you say 04 gto) Those of us who are loyal enthusiest will find a away.

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
I am not quite sure I understand this statement.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:39 AM

Well folks all that can be said is this Camaro is comming back and its better than what we had. Sure 2009 is late and yes the new Mustang and Charger will be out with lots of awsome imports. Gas will be higher and so will inflation. But I'll wait and I'll be there to buy one. I won't be alone either. Sure it won't be the best time to begin another story in the Camaro chapter but it's much better than none at all. There is room for this car and if GM delivers on it's promices they will sell just fine. We can debate this until 2009 but I'll be saving and waiting and so will many others. Concerns are good but when has it ever been a good time to have a gas drinking big and bold V8 RWD coupe with high insurance and an above average prices tag... yet they have been built and sold before and thankfully this one is comming back.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 AM

I wish people would quit bringing up rising gas prices as a reason the Camaro might fail, it isn't a damn SUV or truck! It will get near 30mpg, it will have AFM to shut down cylinders on the highway. A chevy Cobalt SS gets about 30mpg doesn't it? Are people saying they won't buy a Cobalt because gas might go up, please quit with the gas theory because it is ignorant! My 2002 Z28 could easily get to 28mpg on the highway in 6th gear, I averaged 24mpg combined city and highway before I was hit in it(My SRT-4 can only get about 26mpg and it's a 4 cylinder). If you want to worry about something that will be a reality instead of an old stereotype, worry about the insurance costs of the new Camaro!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 AM

bwhahah miss cleo.

Perfect storm man.

Housing market taking a ****, interest rates increasing, no end in site on oil prices,consumers are pulling back on spending, libs posed to take over in 08 means higher taxes, more regulation.

In the 90's it was the stock market drive consumer spending, now it has been the houseing market which is dying a slow death. The fact is most consumer spending is not being derived from waget growth only debt load.

Not ot mention over 50% of mtgs over the last few years are high risk var rate loans that are resetting and doubling or more peoples house payments.....................

Oil is going down, and the housing markets are going back to "normal".

Repeat 10x:

The world is not going to end.
The world is not going to end...

Unless you're one of the idiots that bought a 200k house for 400k on an Interest only loan. Then yes, your world will end...

Quick Reply: First quarter of 2009 is too far away. GM blew it's chance