2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Flexfuel Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:30 PM

Re: Flexfuel Camaro

I really hope the mainstream V8 will be E85 capable on the new Camaro.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98
I think it should be a MUST to have the Camaro be flexfuel compatible. We're talking 2 years down the road here and if gas continues to go up, E85 is gonna take off. I think the Camaro should be ready for it if/when it does.
I also agree, it should be E85 ready.

Last edited by SCNGENNFTHGEN; 08-19-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
Didn't the FBodFather say that the Camaro concept is Flexfuel compatible and therefore the production car would be as well?
If thats the case then

E85 prices will go down as it becomes more mainstream. You'll get less mileage (there was a site that showed the differences, it ended being around 3-4 mpg worse than gas..) but if it ends up costing less than regular gas then it doesnt matter. Not to mention how much more environmentally friendly it is.

As far as food prices going up I dont know anything about that. I would think that the more use of E85 would create more plants for processing and potentially creating more farms and thus giving a nice surge in farming industry. That would all be homegrown stuff and if more farms spring up because of it, wouldnt food prices end up being around the same?
Old 08-19-2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
Also, with the amount of corn needed to create enough E85, you could be looking at higher food prices (steak b/c they feed corn to cows, etc) because of greater E85 usage. Not to mention, I don't think there is enough farm in the states to support E85 usage for the 1/2 the country to use. Bottom line is we need another fuels source... on that note, check out this car.
Thats a big "N.O." good buddy.

First off, even if it were true that E85 production would raise food cost, its a moot point. As with most consumer goods all of the produce and meat in this country is moved on semi trucks, gas prices raise the cost of food right now.

Secondly, US corn production is far below its full potential and has been for a long time. The US governement pays farmers NOT to grow corn because if they did the price would drop so low that farmers would ot be able to make a living doing it.

Our farming capacity is great enough that we could produce enough ethanol to put a very large whole into our oil imports.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:05 PM

Yeah, in 2-3 years E85 may be well below the price of gas, and even still just the use of E85 in more vehicles will help lower the price of gas. I believe they are currently developing other ways to produce it as well. Which could mean even cheaper and more available.

What would you rather have, Higher food prices while keeping the money in the US and making the ecomony better or cheap food and more terror funding?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:23 PM

the ethanol in E85 can be made form some waste products as well, not JUST corn.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
Like beer waste, which is currently just disposed of! Basically anything that ferments. And yeah it'd be great to stop funding that terrorist dog amadinejad, and many others just like him. This reason alone is enough to get it going. We need to write our senators & congressman (as was mentioned in another of the E85 threads), and tell them to get on the ball with E85. Cuts emisions in half, higher octane=more power, and if we build more refineries there is the potential for the price to come down, and if gas continues to rise, we'll be in great shape.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
will we have a little trap door on the back of out car so we can dump our cans and food in it so that we dont rely on plutonium to hit 88mph
Old 08-20-2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by sc1twntrbo
will we have a little trap door on the back of out car so we can dump our cans and food in it so that we dont rely on plutonium to hit 88mph
not unless you plan on brewing the ethanol onboard .
Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by sc1twntrbo
A 'Mr Fusion' conversion. However, the car still requires gas to get to 88 mph. You just need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 jigawatts of electricity.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 AM

Flex fuel vehicles stink!

I am kinda joking but the truth is if you run E85 in a flex fuel vehicle you mpg drops by about 30% over just using 87 octane gas. E85 is a good fuel but a flex fuel motor is a compromise to run between the two. If you made a motor with high compression to take advantage of E85's 105 octane the mpg losses would probably fall to the 10-15% range. All the flex fuel motors do is add timing to take advantage of some of the higher octane. Building E85 only cars is unreasonable seeing how there just arent enough E85 pumps out there. We have one pump in nashville. One pump for 1.5 million people. It cost 10 cents less than 87 last time I checked. And thats not enough to make up for the 30% drop in mpg.

So lets say your buddies avalanche gets 15 mpg, subtract 30%, thats about 10.5 mpg. If the price is 30% less go for it. Otherwise if you are rich enough not to care how muich your fuel costs than you should run the cleaner burning E85. We need more E85 pumps and more E85 only vehicles.

We have ALOT of corn capability. We can grow four times as much corn per acre now than we could 100 years ago and we pay farmers not to grow corn and to rotate their fields. I hope that they end the subsides soon and production ramps up. If it does anything I hope it creats some competition.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:31 PM

If anyone is curious as to what cars get what gas mileage here is a site that will put to rest alot of the rumors.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

You can compare cars side by side and see what they are rated at vs. what they actually get. Pretty handy, just used it this morning to check out flexfuel trucks.

As for E85 someone already mentioned that you get 30% less efficency, but you also do indeed get a boost in power.

Should the Camaro have it...certainly it should...along with AFM. There is no reason for it not to have that as option and to give this car yet another reason to be better than the Challenger or Mustang.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:05 PM

you know just a thought if we get 20-30% of cars in the us to burn e-85 that would be a 20-30% decrease in demand for regular fuel which would mean a decrees in the price of regular gas well theareticly if the supposed increase is because of supply an demand.

i saw about a country on the news that 50% of there cars run on alternative fuel and because of that they no longer need to look out side there boarders for regular fuel.

i personally would like to see a flex fuel camaro if it didn’t affect performance .
Old 08-21-2006, 02:47 PM

I think they should make the Camaro E85 capable . There are a number of companies looking very hard at distributing E85 (Look here) in the probably not so distant future.

David
Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
He is smoking something. Flex Fuel has less energy than gasoline. It is a fact you will get less mileage with it. As for as the camaro using it, I doubt it. Performance cars are tuned for higher grade fuels. E85 will not likely cut it, but it would be interesting if it could.
I don't know why it wouldn't cut it, E85 has a higher octane than 93 so why wouldn't it cut it? It doesn't have as much range as gasoline but it can make power!

Quick Reply: Flexfuel Camaro