2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

GM Canada press release - It's Oshawa

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:59 AM

Re: GM Canada press release - It's Oshawa

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...#comment346822

Ok, which one of you smart@ss's posted that comment?

Anyway, I've noticed that some of the posts are positive there. People just have no clue about things..
Old 08-22-2006, 03:41 PM

I got to post #7 and had to stop reading. The only guy who actually was making a good point was post #5 (talking about the union finally making some concessions, instead of getting even MORE to do the same amount of work). I'll admit, I work for a unionized corporation too, and the union mentality (<--read "mental") is horrible at times ... yes, the pay and the benefits are great, but it's a greedy "gimme! gimme! gimme!" attitude at times (most of the time? ). Unfortunately, the CAW in GM is no different.

As far as all those comments go? Are those people on f**king drugs?!?! My god, last year it was devastating news to hear that Oshawa was potentially going to be laying off ~3500 workers, and as well, Ford has been making cut-backs in the Toronto area as well. NOW GM has decided to give the rights to, not just 1, but SEVERAL new cars on the Zeta platform in Oshawa (planning to build ~500,000 cars a year, right?? ) and suddenly that's not good enough?!

F*** some people in society .

I apologize on behalf of those people whom, unfortunately, I must call "fellow" Canadians.

(and if GM built the Camaro and the rest of the Zeta cars in Wilmington, leaving Oshawa deserted, I wonder how they'd like the effects on our economy then?? If this is the attitude of the majority, I suppose we don't even deserve the car?? ..... I do believe that what we saw there was a poor representation of the population abroad).
Old 08-22-2006, 03:47 PM

The internet is to blame for giving the common idiot a voice.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 PM

Damn! I was hoping for Wilmington. I live nearby and have a "friend" who could get me into the plant. I was hoping for an early preview of the production line. Oh well... What about military options? Can we invade Canada and relocate it to Wilmington (LOL)
Old 08-22-2006, 04:06 PM

Now that I've had a few minutes to cool down and think about those comments, here's something to think about...

...around here, there isn't really a HUGE market for performance cars. Yeah, Toronto is a big city, but for the most part, people work there but live in the 'burbs. The people reading that paper and writing in are family people with wives, kids/families, and MINI-VANS!!!

How do you think the owners of GM mini-vans feel in the last few years?? GM still gives them a mediochre product, with the same old, head gasket & intake gasket blowing 3.4L V6 that's been in most GM FWD cars/vans for the last ~15 years?! And now that they're going to build another SPORTS CAR to come "save the day" in Oshawa, I'm sure they find it less than reassuring? But if GM can change their product line-up a little, and start to prove that muscle cars CAN get good fuel mileage, and GM CAN build good, quality products ACROSS THE BOARD, then maybe we won't hear comments like that any more???

Just being devil's advocate for a minute?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
GM still gives them a mediochre product, with the same old, head gasket & intake gasket blowing 3.4L V6 that's been in most GM FWD cars/vans for the last ~15 years?!
Now that one hits close to home. I just had a head gasket go on my Trans Am. The car only has 26,000 miles on it.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Summary:

Seriously, if I pull any more of my hair out with these misconceptions you might as well take my scalp too. The media keeps feeding people "the sky is falling" stories about gas prices and sure as sh*t people buy them hook, line and sinker. Does anyone research before they speak anymore?

That does it, if they really don't want the car, bring it to Delaware. It's an American pony car anyway.
The solution is more advertising about fuel economy for the Camaro. I'm sure it's in their agenda to make it known about MPG just as much as performance to stifle that misconception. I only hope that they reveal such information before the car even comes out to generate even more buzz, as they have already been doing, slowly but steadily (IE: HUGE Camaro banner on detroit building).
Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 AM

Since they advertise the 500hp Vette getting 26 hwy MPH, im certian we'll see some fuel related Camaro spots.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
The solution is more advertising about fuel economy for the Camaro. I'm sure it's in their agenda to make it known about MPG just as much as performance to stifle that misconception. I only hope that they reveal such information before the car even comes out to generate even more buzz, as they have already been doing, slowly but steadily (IE: HUGE Camaro banner on detroit building).
Yes. I hope GM makes a big point over MPG ratings, AFM cylinder deactivation and flex fuel options - which I hope will be available on cars with AFM also; was looking at a new Impala the other day (on GMs website) with the flex fuel option but as far as I could tell, if you want the larger V6 motor (which has AFM) you can't have the flex fuel option? Why the heck not? Surely those two features go together like peanut butter and jelly? Both V6 and V8 in the new Camaro need to offer both features. Direct injection sure would be nice too and since that is employed in the new top-dog Ecototec motors, why not in the next gen V8s?

The fact that GM has sedans offered with flex fuel and AFM coupled with a strong V6 is one of the reasons we're looking at an Impala over say a Honda Accord.

Last edited by Z28Marcus; 08-23-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:54 AM

How do you think the owners of GM mini-vans feel in the last few years?? GM still gives them a mediochre product, with the same old, head gasket & intake gasket blowing 3.4L V6 that's been in most GM FWD cars/vans for the last ~15 years?!
The CSV vans have the 3.5 OHV V6 not the old 3.4, the Equinox & Torrent are the only current models using the old 3.4. The CSVs also got the 3.9 OHV V6 optional last year. Also the Lambda vans will use the 3.6 DOHC V6 and will be out in 2-3 years so the minivan problems will be taken care of.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
The CSV vans have the 3.5 OHV V6 not the old 3.4, the Equinox & Torrent are the only current models using the old 3.4. The CSVs also got the 3.9 OHV V6 optional last year. Also the Lambda vans will use the 3.6 DOHC V6 and will be out in 2-3 years so the minivan problems will be taken care of.
Hopefully it's not "too little, too late" as some people have said before? All my point was, is there are STILL a crap load of Venture/Montana vans, and a pile of cars driving around (new, or not that old) that have the 3.4L, and I've talked to SEVERAL people (just your average, middle class, working for a living to support their family, people hauling, mini-van driving, type guys) who own these type of vehicles, and curse GM for continuing to use such an engine, which has been notorious for problems from day 1, and yet they haven't done a damn thing to fix it. I can understand the lack of "faith" people have towards GM, and "I" personally think some of the things GM is now doing are great, and I hope and pray that everything works out well in the end for everyone, but you have to admit, GM hasn't earned their reputation for no reason.

BUT, in terms of that article and the comments written in response, it would be best if people held their judgement until the car is actually produced and proves itself to be a whole new breed of GM product, and it would be nice if they at least realized the HUGE impact this is going to have on our local/provincial/federal economy and the PEOPLE who live here. I for one (I know I've mentioned this already) am THRILLED to be getting the Camaro, as well as the whole line of Zeta cars, coming here to Oshawa. My g/f's Dad was down in the dumps last year hearing that ~3500 jobs were going to get cut, but had a much different feeling yesterday after he heard that hopefully most of those jobs would be saved.

Last edited by Capn Pete; 08-23-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:59 AM

Hopefully it's not "too little, too late" as some people have said before? All my point was, is there are STILL a crap load of Venture/Montana vans, and a pile of cars driving around (new, or not that old) that have the 3.4L, and I've talked to SEVERAL people (just your average, middle class, working for a living to support their family, people hauling, mini-van driving, type guys) who own these type of vehicles, and curse GM for continuing to use such an engine, which has been notorious for problems from day 1, and yet they haven't done a damn thing to fix it. I can understand the lack of "faith" people have towards GM, and "I" personally think some of the things GM is now doing are great, and I hope and pray that everything works out well in the end for everyone, but you have to admit, GM hasn't earned their reputation for no reason
And Toyota has tons of oil sludge prone V6s. The point is that lots of manufacturers put out products with problems in some cases recalls are done and in others they are not. There actually was a revision of the intake gasket and it is available for any future repairs. As far as the 3.1/3.4 intake problems I have a 3.1 in my wife's malibu and it is nearing 100K with no problems. I may have gotten lucky or maybe the problem isn't as serious as some make it out to be, think piston slap LSx engines.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:12 PM

^ ^ I might agree with you on that, but try convincing people who have replaced 2 or 3 intake gaskets on their Montana that there isn't a problem (when chances are, by replacing the first bad gasket by themselves, not taking it to a mechanic, they damaged the OTHER gasket, and thus, 'caused another failure, which meant pulling the intake AGAIN). And again, I realize it's one in a few that actually fail, but if you've got a person who has the problem occur to THEM personally, more than once, that's it, the thing is a P.O.S. But where I work (this is primarily where I've heard a lot of this griping) it seems I'm severely out-numbered when it comes to GM fanatics.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:39 AM

Wasnt the 4th gen built near Montreal ?

I remember GM having an obligation to build the new Camaros in Canada. Something to do with the union etc...
Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by jfman
Wasnt the 4th gen built near Montreal ?

I remember GM having an obligation to build the new Camaros in Canada. Something to do with the union etc...
Yeah, they were built in Ste. Therese, Quebec.

I have heard that there were "issues" around building the car elsewhere and Canada holding the "rights" to the name? Not sure if that is true or not?? May have been a conspiracy theory, maybe some truth to it?? Somebody knows for sure, just don't know if WE will ever hear the REAL story .

Quick Reply: GM Canada press release - It's Oshawa