2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Hot Rod Magazine's Camaro Survey

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:31 PM

Re: Hot Rod Magazine's Camaro Survey

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Neither of those cars will have the same numbers by the time Camaro hits the streets, and they won't be going down.
Maybe, maybe not. I really don't expect to see Mustang horsepower numbers to go up very much. They've barely moved in the last 7 years, and we already know that horsepower didn't prevent the Mustang from grossly outselling Camaro in the past. I doubt you'll see any kind of knee-jerk horsepower reaction from Ford for that very reason. I'll be very surprised if the GT comes with more than 325 horsepower by the 09 model year. Likewise, Dodge is selling the hell out of 345hp hemi cars, and I doubt that their R/T level cars will see much more horsepower in the next couple years. While it would be neat for GM to pump 400hp into every camaro that rolls off the line, I think it's quite a bit more likely for the 400hp to wind up in a premium trim level, with the standard V8 being just a notch above what Ford and Chrysler offer. For those who want even higher power numbers, there will be no shortage of aftermarket-based dealer packages from GMMG, SLP, Saleen, or some similar orginization.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:40 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by Bert02SS
I've found Automotive News (a Crane publication) to be quite good, better than Autoweek for accuracy.
true, that one too.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:09 AM

I voted
Old 09-14-2006, 12:55 PM

done
Old 09-14-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Maybe, maybe not. I really don't expect to see Mustang horsepower numbers to go up very much. They've barely moved in the last 7 years, and we already know that horsepower didn't prevent the Mustang from grossly outselling Camaro in the past. I doubt you'll see any kind of knee-jerk horsepower reaction from Ford for that very reason. I'll be very surprised if the GT comes with more than 325 horsepower by the 09 model year. Likewise, Dodge is selling the hell out of 345hp hemi cars, and I doubt that their R/T level cars will see much more horsepower in the next couple years. While it would be neat for GM to pump 400hp into every camaro that rolls off the line, I think it's quite a bit more likely for the 400hp to wind up in a premium trim level, with the standard V8 being just a notch above what Ford and Chrysler offer. For those who want even higher power numbers, there will be no shortage of aftermarket-based dealer packages from GMMG, SLP, Saleen, or some similar orginization.

Certainly so.

If you haven't noticed Mustang is the only car at Ford thats not shamefully boring. Thats part of why they're throwing more weight behind it then ever before. The GT-H is already out, with the current engine tuned to 330. Boss V8 is on the way as is the new 3.5 which will bump the V6 to 280, I highly doubt there will only be a 20 hp gap between V6 and V8.

Chrysler is a slightly different story, the 5.7 and 6.2 will probably get a small increase with the refresh but I believe the 6.4 is still a go.

Now that does not neccesarily mean LS3 Camaros will be going for 24k... We'll see.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the link, I voted
Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 AM

Gotter done!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:33 AM

Any kind of feedback that makes it to GM is good feedback. We are the enthuiasts and the potential owners this will be our car as much as it is GM's!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:49 PM

I was so pissed when I read the editorial and accompanying article. I've been a subscriber to that magazine since 1979, and I'm seriously considering canceling my subscription. They're a bunch of narrow minded wannabe drag racers. Camaro doesn't need a solid axel rear diff. GM needs to design an IRS set-up that's bulletproof. They need to get their heads out of the past and bring Camaro into the future.

P.S. I filled out the survey anyway... ... my closing remarks:

The top performance package should be Z28, not SS. A wiseman once said "any Chevy can be an SS, but only a Camaro can be a Z28." With SS versions of Trailblazer, HHR and Silverado available or on the horizon, that should hold true down the road. I picture my ultimate Camaro as being a Z06-like version. Basically a race car for the street. That's what Z28 has been in the past and that's what it should be in the future. For this I would pay $40k - $50k.

Additionally, we don't need a solid rear axle Camaro. Rather, GM needs to engineer a bulletproof IRS set-up. Not just for Camaro's sake, but for Corvette and any future GM performance product. If GM wants to keep up with europe and japan on cutting edge performance, they need to move away from the idea of a solid axle and step into the 21st century. Anyone that doesn't see that seriously needs their head examined.

Last edited by jg95z28; 09-19-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I was so pissed when I read the editorial and accompanying article. I've been a subscriber to that magazine since 1979, and I'm seriously considering canceling my subscription. They're a bunch of narrow minded wannabe drag racers. Camaro doesn't need a solid axel rear diff. GM needs to design an IRS set-up that's bulletproof. They need to get their heads out of the past and bring Camaro into the future.

P.S. I filled out the survey anyway... ... my closing remarks:

The top performance package should be Z28, not SS. A wiseman once said "any Chevy can be an SS, but only a Camaro can be a Z28." With SS versions of Trailblazer, HHR and Silverado available or on the horizon, that should hold true down the road. I picture my ultimate Camaro as being a Z06-like version. Basically a race car for the street. That's what Z28 has been in the past and that's what it should be in the future. For this I would pay $40k - $50k.

Additionally, we don't need a solid rear axle Camaro. Rather, GM needs to engineer a bulletproof IRS set-up. Not just for Camaro's sake, but for Corvette and any future GM performance product. If GM wants to keep up with europe and japan on cutting edge performance, they need to move away from the idea of a solid axle and step into the 21st century. Anyone that doesn't see that seriously needs their head examined.

Good for you jg. I wrote something very similar.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:42 PM

I added at the end.

I hope GM does build this car affordable. If it is much more than a mustang gt I dont see it doing much better than the ssr or last more than a few years. I know the concecpt needs to look top notch but it looks like a 40,000+ car to me. I want a base V8 manual shift car with a/c but if its alot more than the mustang GT I cant buy it. I dont care if mine has rear drum and a single tail pipe and roll up windows I can allways change it. My uncles tell me they didnt have a problem buying these cars new with there normal average 40 hour pay checks I hope the same will be true with this one. Just remeber to build a decent price V8 car. To me a camaro isnt about top notch luxeries like boyd resto rods but sporty looks with a platform that can be built on.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sunsceamer
I hope GM does build this car affordable. If it is much more than a mustang gt I dont see it doing much better than the ssr or last more than a few years.
GM insiders have already suggested it would be priced within a few hundred dollars of equivalently optioned Mustangs.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Camaro came back costing slightly less than Mustang?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 AM

I took the survery. I feel they will probably bring this one to market pretty much in line with price and options like the last generation. Probably $25-26,000 base price for the Z with 400 hp. I can't see them putting the 5.3 300hp in there. The key for this car will be how many V6's they can sell.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:34 PM

hat's what Z28 has been in the past and that's what it should be in the future. For this I would pay $40k - $50k.
sorry, i wouldnt pay 40-50k for ANY new camaro. but thats just me, plus i cant afford that.

if people from gm are here and we dont like the survey, i have my issues with it, but i did fill it out, lets make our own.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:05 AM

Yeah I did it too, but I do agree, this site may have more influence. And I loved the HR R/S rendition.

Last edited by SCNGENNFTHGEN; 10-06-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Magazine's Camaro Survey