2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

How to decipher the RS and SS and SS RS badges...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

How to decipher the RS and SS and SS RS badges...

Okay, I have been asked this one quite a bit so here goes.

You can get a Camaro with a V6 (LS or LT) or a Camaro with a V8 (SS)

You can ADD the RS package to either the V6 or V8 car, which includes the following:

Originally Posted by JasonD
RS Appearance Package available on LT and SS, with HID headlamps with integrated halo ring feature, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels
On a V6 Camaro, it would also add this red RS badge to the front grill by the driver side headlight:

And above the passenger side rear taillight:

(Click thumbnails to view bigger images, even more images of the rest of the car in the same gallery)

That is for the V6 with the RS package. The V8 SS badge looks just like it and is in the same places, but obviously says "SS", with some minor differences...

On a non-RS equipped SS, the SS badge will be a color like black or white (said to be silver), depending on the exterior color. However, if you add the RS package to an SS, it does not ad an additional RS badge but the SS badges will be changed to red (Like an RS badge) and not black or white or silver.

So...to summarize.

V6 + no RS package = no badge (assumed)
V6 + RS package = red RS badge
V8 + no RS package = SS badge (color TBD, likely black, white, or silver, depending on car paint color)
V8 + RS package = red SS badge
Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Okay, I have been asked this one quite a bit so here goes.

You can get a Camaro with a V6 (LS or LT) or a Camaro with a V8 (SS)

You can ADD the RS package to either the V6 or V8 car, which includes the following:

RS Appearance Package available on LT and SS, with HID headlamps with integrated halo ring feature, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels
On a V6 Camaro, it would also add this red RS badge to the front grill by the driver side headlight:

And above the passenger side rear taillight:

(Click thumbnails to view bigger images, even more images of the rest of the car in the same gallery)

That is for the V6 with the RS package. The V8 SS badge looks just like it and is in the same places, but obviously says "SS", with some minor differences...

On a non-RS equipped SS, the SS badge will be a color like black or white (said to be silver), depending on the exterior color. However, if you add the RS package to an SS, it does not ad an additional RS badge but the SS badges will be changed to red (Like an RS badge) and not black or white or silver.

So...to summarize.

V6 + no RS package = no badge (assumed)
V6 + RS package = red RS badge
V8 + no RS package = SS badge (color TBD, likely black, white, or silver, depending on car paint color)
V8 + RS package = red SS badge
Nice! I like the SS being a different color when combinde with RS. nice touch.

What are the specific RS tail lights, that make them different?

do you need the RS package to add a spoiler?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator

What are the specific RS tail lights, that make them different?
I believe it's the chrome that goes around them.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 PM

Looks like it will be really easy for some posers to re-badge their v6's into want-a-be SS's.

Is there any other distinguishing appearance features between an RS and a RS SS? Just remembered the air intake slit. Anything else?

Last edited by mfb_lt1birdman; 07-21-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 PM
West South Central Moderator

we've deducted that the SS will have the mail-slot scoop and a wider "lip" spoiler up front. I'm wondering if they'll be noticably different anywhere else?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AdioSS
we've deducted that the SS will have the mail-slot scoop and a wider "lip" spoiler up front. I'm wondering if they'll be noticably different anywhere else?
Larger exhaust pipes on the SS as well I believe.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM

We'll this SS appears not to be an RS because the badge is white but I can't tell any difference between these tail lights and the lights on the red RS.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Black5thgen
We'll this SS appears not to be an RS because the badge is white but I can't tell any difference between these tail lights and the lights on the red RS.
Scott also said the SS automatically comes with all the RS equipment except for the HID headlights.

So the Standard SS has the RS tail lights already
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Jason, Cheryl has stated in the Automobile magazine article interview that the SS has a specific nose.

And we've seen the silver SS pics taken from the set of the Christian Slater TV show.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=621035

It's complete with the SS in the grille and a mail slot opening in the nose.

The silver SS listed on Chevy.com shows SS on the rear and RS on the front in red.
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/

So will the SS have the specific nose?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM

The red SS badge will go nicely with my red engine cover.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Freak
Scott also said the SS automatically comes with all the RS equipment except for the HID headlights.

So the Standard SS has the RS tail lights already
I was wondering about this. It seems like the RS package is not much of a value on an SS model since most of the items come with the SS already (dubs, spoiler). Other than HID's and a red badge what will you get, that you weren't getting already? All will be revealed in good time I suppose.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
The red SS badge will go nicely with my red engine cover.
Actually I believe I saw in the list of dealer installed options colored engine covers.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by cmg06s
can any "insiders" give any comments on how the base LT v6 looks?? is it pretty uninspring like the v6 stang?
I don't think we actually saw a base LT V6 but other than the steel wheels, I don't think they'll look much, if any different from the outside and just have fewer creature comforts on the inside. Someone else may remember the details.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dest98
I was wondering about this. It seems like the RS package is not much of a value on an SS model since most of the items come with the SS already (dubs, spoiler). Other than HID's and a red badge what will you get, that you weren't getting already? All will be revealed in good time I suppose.
True, however, we can also assume that you wont be paying as much for the RS package on the SS as you will on the V6, because you are only paying for the HID lights.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by poSSum
I don't think we actually saw a base LT V6 but other than the steel wheels, I don't think they'll look much, if any different from the outside and just have fewer creature comforts on the inside. Someone else may remember the details.
it could also be minor things like black door handles and mirrors vs. body colored sets.

Quick Reply: How to decipher the RS and SS and SS RS badges...