2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I know I want the new Camaro, but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:39 PM

I know I want the new Camaro, but...

I don't want to draw any more attention to myself than I am in my current car, and that's not much. I had this discussion w/ a friend tonight and I believe I bought this subject up here as well. Like I said, I want the car but I don't extra attention from cops or unsavory onlookers(this could be said for other cars as well). What do you guys asy??? I'm just asking to hear other thoughts and opinions. Thanks for being cool about it guys.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Deutsch
I don't want to draw any more attention to myself than I am in my current car, and that's not much. I had this discussion w/ a friend tonight and I believe I bought this subject up here as well. Like I said, I want the car but I don't extra attention from cops or unsavory onlookers(this could be said for other cars as well). What do you guys asy??? I'm just asking to hear other thoughts and opinions. Thanks for being cool about it guys.
Thats why I hate aftermarket rims. What good are they if your car is on blocks in the morning? But this is a factory stock car. There will be 100k others on the road the first year. Another 100k the next. Im sure there will be anti theft eqipment on there. OnStar will locate the car as soon as its reported stolen. But if youre that dead set against ever driving a nice looking car, there is always the used car market, or the next Mustang... j/k
Old 01-08-2007, 12:38 AM

Well I suppose if you're that paranoid and insecure you could just get a $800 beater and drive that.

Or you could get the car you want, get insurance, and not give a damn what anybody else thinks.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Well I suppose if you're that paranoid and insecure you could just get a $800 beater and drive that.

Or you could get the car you want, get insurance, and not give a damn what anybody else thinks.
Forums never seem to run short of jerks. You have to be pretty miserable to sit up and type unnecessary comments like that, or you were picked on quite a bit as a child and just never got over it.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:00 AM

Actually, he made a very valid point. You don't want the attention? Buy a GTO. Let the rest of us enjoy the style.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:00 AM

Honestly, I don't understand how this can be discussed... The "extra attention" in the car is what makes it what it is...you want something nobody will notice? .....not sure what else to say really..
Old 01-08-2007, 04:44 AM

Forums never seem to run short of jerks. You have to be pretty miserable to sit up and type unnecessary comments like that, or you were picked on quite a bit as a child and just never got over it.
I disagree. The poster made a good point and I think you might have overreacted a tad. IMHO.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 AM

Isn't that the whole point of a sports car??? It's sort of "supposed to be" noticable, in your face, draw attention, make people drool .....

..... you wanna blend in? There are plenty of bland 4-doors around to choose from .

The beauty of cars like the Camaro are that they don't require the huge "ricer wings" and things of that sort to make them stand out (as do the pos Hondas, etc., that carry these tacky add-ons) ..... so it's not like you'll be drawing these - - kind of looks from people .
Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 AM

Maybe; but he makes a very good point. Isn't that what insurance is for? Obviously that will do nothing to prevent the extra attention fromt he cops, but just obey the law and I am pretty sure you will be OK.

Last time I checked with my insurance company they would cover my car if it were to ever get stolen or vandalized. I don't see what the concern is.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:58 AM

What is your purpose in buying the car? I think you need to ask yourself why you would want one in the first place, if you are that concerned about the reaction it'll get. Then evaluate it from there. There are other cars that can be made to be fast, handle well, whatever you want it to do and be more subtle.

Of course, my last Camaro was a black '69 with a tunnel ram, headers, 4:56 gears, a monster cam, an 8pt cage and it was a street car....so I'm on the opposite end of the 'I don't give a f*ck' scale than you are.

Last edited by 2lane69; 01-08-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 AM

buy a white v6 and keep it 100% stock the entire time you own it. or just buy another beater car like has been said and drive it around, and only bring the camaro out when its nice outside on the weekend. you don't want to have any attention drawn then why buy any muscle/sports car??? the new camaro will be an amazing looking car I don't see how one won't draw any attention to it one way or another.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 AM

My first Camaro was a hugger orange '68 RS. I only got one ticket in it ever. (It was a B.S. ticket too.) I've always driven hot cars... my first car was a red '67 Chevelle, and current car is a '95 Z/28. In the 25 years I have been driving I have received exactly 4 tickets... one in each of my cars; which means I'll probably get one in my new Camaro too.

FWIW, Our daily driver is a patriot red '02 Tahoe LS. You'd think a big red SUV would stand out for the cops. It doesn't really... although it makes merging a heck of a lot easier.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Well, if you'd like to blend in, get a black 4 door Civic. I use one for work and believe me, it doesnt get a second look from anyone. Dogs dont even **** on the tires. At least for me, I dont want a Camaro that doesnt make someone either stop in their tracks, give a thumbs up, or hate me because they are jealous. lol I love Camaros, and whether its the color, wheels, stance, or how it sounds (usually all 4), its gonna get attention....and rightfully so. And at least from my personal experience, cops seem to be pretty cool if you're driving a nice domestic. My last LS1 was a HOZ, one Sunday night I was driving by my house and decided to romp on it at a stop sign. I was doing about 90 in a 35 when I passed a cop on a little side street who ended up letting me off with a warning. If I had been driving some riced out Civic, STI, EVO, or even my DD ('98 Dodge Avenger) I would have gotten thrown in the back of the squad car and my car towed. I dont want my 5th gen to be some bland, lost in a crowd, box on wheels. And it wont be.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by fredmr39
Honestly, I don't understand how this can be discussed... The "extra attention" in the car is what makes it what it is...you want something nobody will notice? .....not sure what else to say really..
may i suggest a toyota camry
Old 01-08-2007, 03:02 PM

The Good Ph.D hammered a bullseye, and was exactly the answer you needed. Your question was that you wanted a vehicle that wouldn't attract attention by the cops or be desirable to "unsavory types". An $800 beater is exactly the correct answer. Even new Honda Civics are high on the most stolen lists.

No one here is even going to raise the idea of having a car that blends into the scenery. You are on a site that is all about a class of car purposely designed in a way that's likely to be desireable to "unsavory onlookers" and will attract the attention of cops. This isn't Hyundai.com.

I suspect either you didn't actually think through the question, or got an answer (while dead accurate) wasn't the answer you were looking for, and overreacted by infering the guy was a jerk, which you are apparently the only person here to came to that conclusion, while the rest of us are scratching our heads, wondering what the fuss is about.

Get the car you want (and can afford), insure it and enjoy it.

If you worry about being spotted by the cops, drive safely.

If you are worried about "unsavory" people, park in a better spot.

Otherwise, search the Auto Trader for an 80s Chevrolet Celebrity.

Quick Reply: I know I want the new Camaro, but...