2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I know I want the new Camaro, but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:58 PM

?????????

Hopefully it is the same everywhere. It doesn't matter what you drive,it's HOW you drive it.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deutsch

As to why I asked this question: 1) I'm not familiar w/ the whole muscle car scene outside of relatives that live in the Midwest that I hardly ever talk to, so I'm a tad jaded in my perception of these cars. 2) Along w/ the assumptions I have, I felt what more an appropriate place than here to address the question as to what experiences some may have had in owning these cars; dealing more specifically with what kind of attention they have received (if any) from law authorities given that these cars are well known for their performance capabilities, along with the fact that there is a stereotype out there for people who drive certain kinds of cars (especially muscle cars).
I don't think I have drawn any attention to myself in mine that wasn't deserved(basically being stupid). There are lots of very knowledgeable people on here that cover all aspects of auto news and tech, and not just f-bodies. Honestly, your question was a little vague at first, and so we answered the way we thought you asked. but all is cool...welcome to the site. I've learned a ton of info from people on here.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 PM

To answer your question more specifically (now that you've been more specific as to what info you were looking for) I can honestly say I've received LESS attention in my 2002 Z28 than I would like sometimes, let alone MORE!

Only ONCE in ~4.5 years of owning this car, so far, have I ever been pulled over "just because" the cop was being a dick . I HAVE been pulled over a couple times that I deserved, but this once, was purely for the guy's ego-trip (he charged me with NOTHING, yet threatened me with CARELESS?! ).

When the car is nice and clean, cruising with the T-tops off, it does get the odd second glance, a few thumbs up (from kids and adults ) and I get some "hey man, nice car " comments .

My Dad's '73 Camaro, on the other hand, gets LOTS and LOTS of attention, but it's HUGGER ORANGE, how could it not?!

The beauty of things is, you can order your Camaro in pretty much whatever color you'd like (well, hopefully?????????????) and dress it up or dress it down to taste. If chrome rims are too "flashy", stick to silver or gunmetal painted. Or black for that matter! (except they'll actually stand out too).

Drive nice, and you aren't going to get pulled over "just because" ... it's typically the Ricers getting pulled over for "no reason" because they've lowered their cars by cutting the springs, not doing a camber kit, and the cops can justify the stop because the car is unsafe. Don't "Rice" out your Camaro, don't drive like a retard (in front of cops! ) and you likely won't have a problem from anyone.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deutsch
I don't want to draw any more attention to myself than I am in my current car, and that's not much. I had this discussion w/ a friend tonight and I believe I bought this subject up here as well. Like I said, I want the car but I don't extra attention from cops or unsavory onlookers(this could be said for other cars as well). What do you guys asy??? I'm just asking to hear other thoughts and opinions. Thanks for being cool about it guys.

The only way you will get extra attention from law enforcment is if you are doing something wrong, in other words breaking the law. Got something to hide?

There are lots and lots of cops out there that are car guys, like me. They may decide to get a closer look when they see a cool car, or something they like, its just natural for car guys.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM

I always had this thought in the back of my head that law enforcement would pay more attention to muscle cars for the simple fact that (truth be told) their drivers like to speed in them, I even lost a friend who was killed in an accident in a Camaro that hit an F series pick up head on @ 90mph. Not to mention the countless other stories I've heard...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Like other have said, Insure it, enjoy it...if someone steals it, well, that's what insurance is for. Remember bro, it's just a car, if someone carjacks me, I'm throwing him the keys, no car is worth dying for.

If you don't wish to attract to much attention however, pick a low-key color like silver for starters. COPS and criminals look for bright reds and yellows etc, b/c our traffic system use these same colors to grab our attention when driving.
Don't add $5,000 wheels, and a $5,000 stereo that can be heard for 2 city blocks.
And don't install multiple LCD screens that everone within 100 yards of your car can see easily.
If you do, make sure they are easily removeable, so you can lock them somewhere safe. And install locking lug nuts, car alarm etc..
And drive repectfully...
But respectfully, I don't think that's it's very healthy to live in fear of being noticed by bad people, or COPS or peoples attention.
Just be friendly and polite and wave, and most people will do the same.

Last edited by 90rocz; 01-08-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 AM

I'm not in fear of getting car jacked, LoL. I think people are really getting the wrong idea about what it is that I'm trying to say, but that's the nature of the internet. However, certain types of cars are most definitely more likely to get jacked than others, but like I said, I'm not worried about it just wanted to inquire. I'm extremely smart about being at the right places at the right time, though it's not always possible to avoid sh!tty situations where the unthinkable will happen. I don't live my life walking on pins and needles, and if I did... well, I wouldn't be here typing to you now...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:13 AM

once these cars hit the streets they will get a lot of attention regardless, I think. But, as they become more common they will eventually blend with the crowd.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:08 AM

If I were a cop, I'd pull over a ricer "just because" before I'd pull over a muscle car...and I have 2 friends who are cops that feel the same way. The thing to remember is that cops will remember cars that stand out...so if they see you driving like a maniac, even if they don't pull you over, they'll remember it and maybe get you some other time. I had an off duty cop come over and check out my car at a car cruise once...he said that he had seen me on the road and was surprised that he never had to pull me over. I told him my car only does 55...it just gets to 55 real quick.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Is car-jacking even a problem anymore? I haven't even heard about it for years since the Media went gonzo over it, what, like 10 years ago?!? LOL. I guess maybe it's a bigger issue on the coasts or something.

Anyway, my list of obnoxious and attention-grabbing toys I've owned is quite long. This is how many times I've been vandalized, pulled over, or gotten any unwanted attention from them:

Be smart, be safe, and be cool.