2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I'm feeling pretty disappointed....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Oh, I will. But I can tell you that my excitement for this car has now decreased. It seems now that we are at the same point size-wise as we were with the original cancelled GMX284 car. The one that everyone on the internet was calling the Chevelle.

As I look at my future finances, I can no longer say I've got a, "this $35K reserved for Camaro", column anymore.
I do remember a lot of speculation about a Chevelle being built on the Zeta platform but none that seriously used the GMX284 as that. Yes there was some but I remember more credible rumors about that being Camaro.

As for myself, I am not 100% positive I will buy a Camaro. I will be taking a good look at the El Camino when it returns. I already have a Camaro with very low miles (94 with 42K) and we just ordered a Dodge Nitro however, Camaro is at the top of my list...even if it is 190".
Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Charlie,

Seriously, do what I did, buy a used C5....I LOVE mine.
Yeah, I'm seriously considering using the money I would have spent on the 5th gen on a used Z06. That, or a project car.

Last edited by Z284ever; 02-25-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Just as long as the number on the Camaro doesn't become 187.

As in murder, death, kill.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
BTW, do the people here REALLY need yet another message forum to hold these same conversations in?
That site is a joint effort between Charlie and me. Its just something we have both wanted to do.

I think the answer to that question is going to be different for each individual. Personally I think there is room for another site that is well executed. If not, then the marketplace will prove me wrong.

Last edited by Chris 96 WS6; 02-25-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:10 PM

Yeah, I'm seriously considering using the money I would have spent on the 5th gen on a used Z06. That, or a project car.
Ding ding. Ding ding. Ding ding.

A lightweight, powerful car that can be had with low miles for a very reasonably price .

As for the 2009 (or 10) Camaro.....will wait and see.

Bob
Old 02-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Honestly....

This is just one more strike against the 5th Gen as far as my future plans go. I mean the car isn't going to have any kind of removable roof option that isn't a full-blown vert....it will probably weigh 3700#s...or more....and if it's almost as big as my 4th Gen? I dunno....Charlie is right, I understand the reasons behind it but everything I am hearing makes the car less and less appealing.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 PM

I just read thread fromt he referenced link and now all of the replies on here about it, and all I can say is I am amazed at how volitle some people's decision are about the 5th gen! I mean seriously, how can 4" be the difference between, as one person put it, having $35K reserved for Camaro to "I can no longer say I've got a, "this $35K reserved for Camaro", column anymore."

I mean, will 4" really make or break the performance and handling of this car? It is not going to be the same thing as tacking on 4" to your 4th gen. This car is being built on a brand new architecture. Absolutely no one on here has driven it, or knows how it is going to handle, but yet some of us are quick enough to say, Whoa, "186" is ok, but if they go with 190" I am going to have to reconsider this whole thing..."
Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Angry

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
This is just one more strike against the 5th Gen as far as my future plans go. I mean the car isn't going to have any kind of removable roof option that isn't a full-blown vert....it will probably weigh 3700#s...or more....and if it's almost as big as my 4th Gen? I dunno....Charlie is right, I understand the reasons behind it but everything I am hearing makes the car less and less appealing.
Almost as big as a 4th gen??? Are you SERIOUS??? Take a look at a 4th gen in parking lot - it's a seriously smaller car next to almost anything! My wife's 350z is smaller and so is a 'vette - maybe an Aveo and Cobalt....but a 4th gen is NOT a big car!!!! I can park my car next to a rustang, and y'know what, the rustang is bigger!!!!

And I'm sorry but if a weight number THAT DOESN'T EXIST YET, and dimensions THAT DON'T EXIST YET is enough to make the car's appeal drop for you then I think you're on the wrong board and you need to get a life! My 4th gen is the most amazing car I've ever owned - it's been an ambulance, school bus, grocery getter (for a family of 4), and snow plow - it's handled every task i've thrown at it and handled them all well. Long term, it's that faithfulness in addition to performance that has sold me so many times on the car. And long term it's that faithfulness that will make sure Camaro never dies again.

Do you know what two lines I've heard most in the 8 years I've had my car? "What a cool car" and "It's not practical".....well, practicality is in the eye of the beholder and if the new Camaro has more practicality and can keep people from judging the car on that outdated stereotype then it's a good thing for the brand's long term health. If that isn't enough for you and you're so uninterested in the car without any data whatsoever, then it's not the car for you - move along.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:05 PM

I give props to Casull and Shellhead. They read my mind. I cant beleive how fickle people are. I remember when the 5th generation first came out, like everyone was praising it and saying that they were ready to buy it. How can everyone lose faith so quickly? Is it because we havent got anything new for a few months? No matter the weight and no matter the size, I WILL buy this car. This car is the Camaro, and GM will make it perform if it has to strap rockets to the fenders. Even so, Im not worried about the weight because we havent seen the official numbers yet and I am confident that GMs performance guys know what they are doing.
I said it before, and Ill say it again, the Camaro is something that goes beyond performance. Yeah, a guy had the bright idea of dropping a gigantic V8 into a Focus and it performed greatly...probably better than a lot of cars out on the road. Is that what makes a car? You can make literally ANY car go fast and perform if youve got the means. Is that what makes a car? Im buying the Camaro because its a Camaro. To tell you the truth, Im probably not going to go and drag race it, or take advantage of its performance capabilities. "If your going to buy a car and not go fast, then why dont you buy a simple car like a Malibu or a Fusion?" some ask me, and they dont understand. A Cobalt SS is fast, and it is still makes me shrug and keep moving. The Camaro is a work of art. It is a beautiful song, a glorious shape, and poetry whenever its name is mentioned. A peice of art is judged not by how big, small, bright, dark, realistic, or abstract it is (if you are catching my metaphor). Its judged by how much heart it has. The Camaro has an essence that can barely be described in words.
Yes, I know I write to much to make a simple point, but I cant believe that the Camaro's supposed fans are now looking for alternatives as a result of a little weight or size increase. As long as the car embodies what the Camaro is supposed to stand for then I am fine. And besides that, the Camaro will perform great anyway...I just think everyone is blowing this little bit of info way out of porportion.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:52 PM

Casull: I said that. If I don't like what a see, it's my money to spend or not spend.

Shellhead: You are DEAD WRONG. Your 4th gen IS a big car. Bigger than most sedans. Longer than most mid-sized SUV's. Longer than a Hummer H1. A foot longer than an SN95 Mustang. Half a foot longer than the current Mustang.

Jamac332: I respect your opinion bro. But it sounds like you'd gladly take a rebadged Trailblazer if it came with Camaro emblems.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:00 PM

The 5th gen will be 6 inches shorter then the 4th gen from what Im reading, or just as big as a GTO, maybe a little lower, and wider. That might be a little bigger then the concept, but its a CONCEPT for a reason. Will that 4 inches be all in the rear?

Reading what Lutz is talking about Zeta having 2 rear subframes, 2 mid sections, and 2 front subframes. He said Camaro would have the short rear, short mid, and long front, where this future Caddy will be long rear, long middle, long front.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:17 PM

Casull: I said that. If I don't like what a see, it's my money to spend or not spend.
And I don't think I ever told you how to spend that money. I was mearly questioning the logic of the comment as well as everyone else who is all of the sudden jumping ship over 4". It just perplexes me how anyone can pass judgment on this car before they have had the chance to feel how it drives... that was my point.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Casull
And I don't think I ever told you how to spend that money. I was mearly questioning the logic of the comment as well as everyone else who is all of the sudden jumping ship over 4". It just perplexes me how anyone can pass judgment on this car before they have had the chance to feel how it drives... that was my point.
Yeah, I know. But you called me out. No sweat.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I think you're on the wrong board and you need to get a life!
Thanks for the advice chief!

I'm sure the next Camaro will be a success even with these (in my eyes) imperfections. I'm just becoming more and more convinced that this might not be the car for me. I dunno. Of course I will wait and see what the final product looks like but.....

No offense, but if you're ready to buy whatever Camaro Chevrolet gives us, that's cool man. I don't think my opinion needs to be slammed just because I'd like to see the concept's tidier dimensions in production, for starters. If this 4" rumor is true, they're adding the 4" in easily the most noticable (i.e. worst) spot....overhang.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 02-25-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 PM

Yeah, I know. But you called me out. No sweat.
Sorry, didn't mean to single you out per-se, that comment was just the one that stuck in my mind for some reason......

Quick Reply: I'm feeling pretty disappointed....