2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I'm feeling pretty disappointed....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Where does one go if he wants a middleweight, nimble, twisty-conquering car with a hot V8, 2 doors and 4 seats?
Mustang GT...just kidding. The Mustang and Camaro are are great handling cars for the most part, my point is the majority of pony cars are weekend drag cars, daily drivers and such. Yes there are quite a few people auto x'ing with the stang and maros im sure and road course racing also.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
umm, it IS a sports car! thats what a Pony car is... Camaro's and Mustangs and Challenger were not large in size at all. They were considered compact for the day. It was called HUGGER orange for a reason, and likewise with Challenger's GRABBER orange and GRABBER yellow... Thank you.

hopefully here... other wise it will be a huge disapointment. Im not worried

Uh no it is NOT a sports car. A sports car= 2 door, front engine, rwd with 2 seats. A pony car is a 2+2
I never said Camaros nor Mustangs were large in size, but your wrong the 71-73 stangs were HUGE. There were/are some great handling Camaros, Stangs I agree with you especially in the Transam series in the 60s. My point like I stated to another person is the Camaro, and Mustang are good all around handling cars...don't compare a Camaro to a 350z in handling. 350Z like the Corvette are purpose built to HANDLE, like the Camaro and Mustang are purpose built to HAUL *** in a straight line. Now the new Camaro might be able to crush the Z in the turns I don't know. My guess is it will handle great but its not a Sports car and thats a FACT.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
What is "perfect"? Are we using your definition, my definition, or someone else's definition?

See comment about Yugo and Camaro badge.

Bob

Perfect= SN95 Mustang. In between a SN95-4th gen Camaro would be my Definition of perfect for the 5th Gen Camaro.

I guess theres really no "perfect" size as peoples opinions about size vary tremendously, but in MY opionion SN95 size is perfect
Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Where does one go if he wants a middleweight, nimble, twisty-conquering car with a hot V8, 2 doors and 4 seats?
The next BMW M3.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mjolnir
The next BMW M3.
Hehe....preferrably in a car not priced in the stratosphere.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 PM

I like how some people are always looking to the Camaros of the 70's as comparisons for the 5th gen or yet, how the 5th gen should be built.

Just because the early Camaros were practically boat anchors in size and weight does not mean the 5th gen should be as well. What worked back then worked becasue it was a different era with less sophisticated technology.

You say "If you want a light, nimble twisty conquering car get a 350Z or better yet a Corvette." Why is that, becasue Camaros are not supposed to be that way? Are they forever bound by the early Camaros specifications... Early Camaros did not have the imports to compete with that we have today.

How about this... if you want a heavy, awkwardly driving boat anchor buy a 2nd gen. but give us the 5th gen we all want... not one that reminds us of what it is like to drive a car from the 70's
Old 02-27-2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Casull
Just because the early Camaros were practically boat anchors in size and weight does not mean the 5th gen should be as well. What worked back then worked becasue it was a different era with less sophisticated technology.
Where on earth did you get that from?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroZ282008
Uh no it is NOT a sports car. A sports car= 2 door, front engine, rwd with 2 seats. A pony car is a 2+2
I never said Camaros nor Mustangs were large in size, but your wrong the 71-73 stangs were HUGE. There were/are some great handling Camaros, Stangs I agree with you especially in the Transam series in the 60s. My point like I stated to another person is the Camaro, and Mustang are good all around handling cars...don't compare a Camaro to a 350z in handling. 350Z like the Corvette are purpose built to HANDLE, like the Camaro and Mustang are purpose built to HAUL *** in a straight line. Now the new Camaro might be able to crush the Z in the turns I don't know. My guess is it will handle great but its not a Sports car and thats a FACT.
Well you just clasified the M3, IS350 and G35 as a pony cars by that definition. The car was not purpose built for a straight line nor was it ever. The Z28 was purpose built for road racing not the drag strip from day one. Maybe you should check your "facts"

I never said Camaros nor Mustangs were large in size, but your wrong the 71-73 stangs were HUGE.
The fact is it is a 2 plus 2 MUSCLE car or is it a Pony car? NOT A SPORTS CAR. When it comes out it'll be perfect size wise. Muscle cars were actually large in size in the sixties/early seventies for the most part.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 02-27-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:55 AM

anyone thats getting down, once its out, trust me. your going to ogggle over it. and wonder how you ever doubted yourself. keep faith!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Klypto
anyone thats getting down, once its out, trust me. your going to ogggle over it. and wonder how you ever doubted yourself. keep faith!
You said it. We dont know exactly what its gonna be like, but why would anyone doubt, especially after GMs recent devotion to getting things back on track, that they would do anything that would screw up this car? GM knows what they are doing, I can confide in that after seeing such monstrousities as the C6, Caddy V-series, and GTO. Speaking of the GTO, regardless of sales and styling (one as a result of the other probably), wasnt the newer GTO an incredible performer? Ive read tons of critics' articles on it, thinking that they were going to bash it, and most if not all of them said that it was actually a really great car if your sitting in the drivers seat. Handling and power were friggin awesome. Now, Im not saying that Camaro is the same size as the GTO, but arent they building the Camaro with a simular goal and performance philosophy in mind? Im sure someone on this board will ask me who in GM "officially" said that. Im not saying that GM said that. Im saying that with the Camaro being a simular sort of car, being relatively more up to date and most likely getting a better engine and at least a suspension that is on par with the Goat's, and as far as we know probably not being a very different bracket of size or weight, wouldnt the Camaro perform at least simularly? Especially when the Camaro is a more important car to GM and enthusiasts than the GTO, or at least I think it is. Am I over-confident to have faith when GM is doing so great with performance cars lately?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Bob,

Not all of us have some mystical factory lightweight, 180", 4 seater in mind....and while I'd love one, it's not what the Camaro has ever been or will be in today's market.

Personally, I've met some of the Camaro design/engineering team and I truly feel like there has never been a car that so many Camaro enthusiasts and actual owners are working on it....and therefore have the same wants and desires that the rest of us do.......all the while working under the constraints of reality.

We've been told time and again that the production version will be virtually indistinguishable from the concept.....with very minor dimensional changes at best.

Sometimes I feel like Charlie and Guy are being fed old or (purposefully??) incorrect information....maybe to just keep then guessing....

Maybe. But regardless if the car's identical in dimensions or marginally bigger or smaller, I'm not going to loose sleep over 4", and I perfectly willing to accept a 3700-3800 pound supercharged Camaro, as long as it's tops in performance and handling. Giving that 5 mph bumpers add about 7" to a cars length and that IRS typically adds up to 150 pounds, the 5th gen Camaro will essentially be the shortest Camaro ever and will still essentially be a lightweight (just take a look at the weight of other IRS cars near it's size).

I've always been of the opinion that people who are picky will always find something critical of anything... the old "perfectionists are too busy finding something wrong they never enjoy things" idea from psych class.

Don't get me wrong, if the Camaro comes out weighing as much as a loaded SRT8 Charger or is as long as a Monte Carlo, then I'll have an issue with it along with others.

But the Camaro isn't a RWD Cobalt either. The numbers differences we're talking about is chump change. But most important of all, let's wait and see what comes out.

There might be a person or 2 who 4" or 150 pounds is enough to make them walk away. But if your girlfriend suddenly walked away from you just because one day she woke up & felt your nose was too big, you'd have very little question that she was looking for a reason to walk anyway.

Same here.

In this instance, there's going to be more than enough other gals to make up for the one that walked, methinks.

Last edited by guionM; 02-27-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
I ain't loosing sleep over a Camaro that's just a few inches longer than the '69 in my garage....
those were the perfect size.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Maybe. But regardless if the car's identical in dimensions or marginally bigger or smaller, I'm not going to loose sleep over 4", and I perfectly willing to accept a 3700-3800 pound supercharged Camaro, as long as it's tops in performance and handling. Giving that 5 mph bumpers add about 7" to a cars length and that IRS typically adds up to 150 pounds, the 5th gen Camaro will essentially be the shortest Camaro ever and will still essentially be a lightweight (just take a look at the weight of other IRS cars near it's size).

I've always been of the opinion that people who are picky will always find something critical of anything... the old "perfectionists are too busy finding something wrong they never enjoy things" idea from psych class.

Don't get me wrong, if the Camaro comes out weighing as much as a loaded SRT8 Charger or is as long as a Monte Carlo, then I'll have an issue with it along with others.

But the Camaro isn't a RWD Cobalt either. The numbers differences we're talking about is chump change. But most important of all, let's wait and see what comes out.

There might be a person or 2 who 4" or 150 pounds is enough to make them walk away. But if your girlfriend suddenly walked away from you just because one day she woke up & felt your nose was too big, you'd have very little question that she was looking for a reason to walk anyway.

Same here.

In this instance, there's going to be more than enough other gals to make up for the one that walked, methinks.
I totally agree with you!! If the car is a class-leading world-beater then squabbling about dimensions will be pointless.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I totally agree with you!! If the car is a class-leading world-beater then squabbling about dimensions will be pointless.

Well, it ALL matters. To me anyway. To achieve something good, squabbling over details is not only NOT pointless, it is crucial.

Dimensions? Who cares? Weight? Who cares. Mecahanicals? Who cares.
If you don't care about everything, what you have is mediocrity.

Lots of people claim that they don't care about this or that....and in fact, maybe they don't. But are they the ones who are actually planning on buying this car...brand spanking new? And maybe, shouldn't we try to appeal to more people than the ones who would still buy a 4th gen if they were still made?

Last edited by Z284ever; 02-27-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Well you just clasified the M3, IS350 and G35 as a pony cars by that definition. The car was not purpose built for a straight line nor was it ever. The Z28 was purpose built for road racing not the drag strip from day one. Maybe you should check your "facts"
Pony cars also need to cheap... Anyway this debate is even more pointless then the main one as no one outside of enthusiast uses those words regularly and even half of them get it wrong.

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Well, it ALL matters. To me anyway. To achieve something good, squabbling over details is not only NOT pointless, it is crucial.
That is true, at least if you're the person pushing the buttons.

Dimensions? Who cares? Weight? Who cares. Mecahanicals? Who cares.
If you don't care about everything, what you have is mediocrity.

Lots of people claim that they don't care about this or that....and in fact, maybe they don't. But are they the ones who are actually planning on buying this car...brand spanking new? And maybe, shouldn't wev try to appeal to more people than the ones who would still buy a 4th gen if they were still made?
I think they're trying to appeal to people who couldn't tell you how long a 4th gen was if their life depended on it. Id say thats the safer bet too...

Quick Reply: I'm feeling pretty disappointed....