2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

just a simple ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 PM

just a simple ???

The new design has grown on me enough that I now want a 5th gen Camaro. My only question is: Is it going to incorporate "drive by wire"; or will be a good old physical connection? Meaning will the steering column actually be be connected to the power steering box and so forth; gas pedal connected to the throttle body, etc...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 PM

That's a really good question/point!! I'd be willing to bet it'll have drive-by-wire, but "probably" (going on the fact that the Camaro is supposed to be a "budget" oriented car) traditional rack & pinion steering .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the GTO's use drive-by-wire?? I know that the 'Vettes do, and have for a long time already. I think that's probably the way it'll be leaning .
Old 01-08-2007, 08:22 PM

If they do use "drive by wire" I won't be getting one. I don't like a computing telling my wheels when to turn, or when I step on the brake. I don't care how proven the tech may be; I just don't trust it.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 PM

Its proven to be a pretty reliable system, but its just unusual to me. I've always been used to a cable driven throttle. I get nervous as well with my throttle management being at the hands of a wiring harness and PCM.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 PM

The throttle'll be drive by wire. Everything else will likely be traditional.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:33 PM

My 2000 V6 has drive by wire and there have been no problems with it whatsoever. The 01 feels maybe slightly more responsive but that is bound to have more to do with the extra 1.9L displacement it has, not the cable.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Evil Lord Lucas
If they do use "drive by wire" I won't be getting one. I don't like a computing telling my wheels when to turn, or when I step on the brake. I don't care how proven the tech may be; I just don't trust it.
You or I may not "like it", but you can't deny the performance of such cars as both the C5 and C6 Z06's which both use drive-by-wire, and are quite successful around race tracks and even on drag strips!!

If you choose not to buy a 5th-gen Camaro because of drive-by-wire, then obviously that's your "choice" , but it's a small "sacrifice" I'd be willing to make to get my hands on the best Camaro ever .
Old 01-08-2007, 10:50 PM

I won't the performance point; it's just not a tech I'm ready to embrace yet. Maybe by the time the 50th ann. Z28 rolls out I might feel different.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:31 PM

I'm sure there were a lot of people who felt the same way about EFI vs. carburetors at first too??
Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 PM

If I can't tell an appreciable difference, then who cares??
But if it's responds sluggish, or as it sees fit, I'll HAVE to change it!
My car needs to trust me as much as I need to count on it...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
I'm sure there were a lot of people who felt the same way about EFI vs. carburetors at first too??
That's an excellent comparision. You're 100% correct. Back in the day (before Al Gore invented the internet ), in many of the top magazines, readers chimed in on how there was no way they were buying a new Camaro if it had that fancy new fangled EFI over their beloved 4bbl carburetor.

I'm sorry but as an engineer I am very skeptical when people are hesitant about embracing new technology. While I feel its ok to question new things, however to completely throw something out because you fear it, or you don't understand it reminds me of folks like the unibomber.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:21 AM

Mustang uses drive by wire, and early in the 2005's production run people were becoming alarmed when the GTs couldn't do burnouts. Turns out the computer prevented it before the engine was broken in via the drive-by-wire system.

I personally don't like the system, as it takes a simple task and creates a new, more expensive way of doing it. I'm sure wires and the system are no lighter or reliable than a cable, so the reason for the system has got to be sending more control of the car through the PCM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I'm sure wires and the system are no lighter or reliable than a cable, so the reason for the system has got to be sending more control of the car through the PCM.
No kidding!!!

The "advantage" I can see is that cruise control and traction control can both be operated (as well as normal throttle) by 1 input (cable) ... instead of A) a throttle cable and B) a cruise cable, OR A) a throttle cable and B) a TC / CC cable, with a huge box mounted on the fender and cables running back and forth between it and the TB . And when TC activates, you won't feel the pedal push back up on your foot!

But the "disadvantages" are like you acknowledged. The computer is now in full control, not "you" the driver. TORQUE MANAGEMENT ... that is becoming the "curse" of newer, high HP cars ... it makes ~400 HP cars run 13's, and ~500 HP cars run 12's! The drive-by-wire just makes it so much easier for the computer to step in and take control.

I just hope that the aftermarket tuners/programmers can get the computers figured out and find ways to completely eliminate all the "programming interference"??
Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
No kidding!!!

The "advantage" I can see is that cruise control and traction control can both be operated (as well as normal throttle) by 1 input (cable) ... instead of A) a throttle cable and B) a cruise cable, OR A) a throttle cable and B) a TC / CC cable, with a huge box mounted on the fender and cables running back and forth between it and the TB . And when TC activates, you won't feel the pedal push back up on your foot!

But the "disadvantages" are like you acknowledged. The computer is now in full control, not "you" the driver. TORQUE MANAGEMENT ... that is becoming the "curse" of newer, high HP cars ... it makes ~400 HP cars run 13's, and ~500 HP cars run 12's! The drive-by-wire just makes it so much easier for the computer to step in and take control.

I just hope that the aftermarket tuners/programmers can get the computers figured out and find ways to completely eliminate all the "programming interference"??

It has been figured out with the GTO/vette so I would guess it will be an easy 'fix' with the Camaro as well.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:14 AM

My old corsica didn't seem to safe or reliable when the throttle cable got stuck.

You're just a scared old man

Quick Reply: just a simple ???