2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

The last V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM

Trucks used Diesel sixes for years. The argument that trucks need V8s is a weak one at best.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:57 PM

A year ago we wouldn't be having this discussion. All of a sudden a spike in gas prices going to change over 80 years of V8 history. If gas would have gone back down to $2.00 a gallon would we still be asking this question? The demand will go down for V8s but it will ride the wave like the stock market. People are not just buying any cars no matter you trying to sell a V8 or a 4 banger. When the economy gets going again we will see what the future holds for the V8.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 AM
West South Central Moderator

if trucks die (they won't) then the Camaro and Corvette will die (like I said, they won't)
Old 07-12-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Trucks used Diesel sixes for years. The argument that trucks need V8s is a weak one at best.
yea ,diesel 6 cyl not gas 6 cyl. for heavy towing. A 6 cylinder gas engine does'nt produce the torque of a V8 gas engine even if the hp is the same. Alot of people don't like ****ty sound of a diesel and smell from them. I'll never buy a diesel.
Take 2 identical cars. Put a 320hp v6 and a 320 hp V8 in each. The V8 car will be quicker because of the extra torque.
Ford is said to be coming out with a 5.0 SOHC engine in the 2010 stang and MM&FF mag stated a couple months ago that Ford is working on a 6.0 liter V8 for its truck line so the V8's futre is still good. Especially with cylinder deactivation where a v8 drops to 4 and 6 cylinders when full power is'nt needed.
6 cyl may be getting to the 300hp mark put that aint shi* compared to the power thats coming out of the top V8 performance cars like the Z06,Zr1,viper,Gt500,Supersnake. The 25th ann. Saleen which is coming out at the end of the year will have 720hp. They're still continuing to push the hp of the V8's so things are still looking good.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by '88Saleen
top V8 performance cars like the Z06,Zr1,viper,Gt500,Supersnake. The 25th ann. Saleen

How many cars of those do they sell per year? Just as Guy said, V8's will be in ultra high performance cars...
Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 AM

GM should continue to build the V8. There isn't a huge burden when it comes to operating the V8 over other smaller engines. However, if you compare a Corolla to a Silverado, then that's a different story. But there won't be a huge difference in fuel economy between V6 and V8 versions.

Not worth stressing over, IMHO. Besides, the V6 Camaro isn't a real Camaro anyway. A muscle car is just that only when a V8 is under the hood.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Over at Ford, once the Twin Force (nee Ecoboost) V6 is out, unless it's heavier than the current 4.6 V8 in the Mustang, it's going to be a better package in terms of power and fuel economy than the current V8 is, if not in cost of manufacture. But then that's going to be offset by jacking up the prices of V8s where ever they are an option.
Once that car is out and the aftermarket gets ahold of it many will discover that it's going to be the best bang for the buck out there in the pony car segment. This car will make more power per dollar than either the new 5.0 mustang or the LS3 Camaro. The two V8 cars will be faster stock for stock and there will be 5.0's and LS3's that will be more powerful and run better track times but the cost to do so will be a helluva lot more than the N/A V8 cars. Just think of the 03/04 Cobra when it comes to making BIG power versus the larger naturally aspirated LS series motors (with the exception of the LS7 but it's 17 grand. Not a real "bang for the buck" motor.)

Take 2 identical cars. Put a 320hp v6 and a 320 hp V8 in each. The V8 car will be quicker because of the extra torque.
Are the two engines identical (i.e. displacement, induction, weight?) A supercharged or turbocharged 3.5L V6 would have equal if not more torque than a naturally aspirated 6.0L V8. It'll weigh less (or equal to depending on the type of FI, block materials, etc.) as a N/A V8. The smaller engine should also get equal if not better gas mileage than the V8 due to its displacement "disadvantage". Just because the engine is bigger doesn't automatically make it better.

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Not worth stressing over, IMHO. Besides, the V6 Camaro isn't a real Camaro anyway. A muscle car is just that only when a V8 is under the hood.
Wait till the new base Camaro comes out till you make that absurd judgement. I just don't understand the whole "it's just not a V8" mentality. I don't care what it's got as long as its fast and can put the power to the ground. Sound and size of my engine means very little when compared to dynosheets and timeslips.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 AM

All new 2009 Ford F series trucks will drop the V6 from the lineup. V8 will be standard equiptment. V8 will never die!!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:12 AM

yea ,diesel 6 cyl not gas 6 cyl. for heavy towing. A 6 cylinder gas engine does'nt produce the torque of a V8 gas engine even if the hp is the same. Alot of people don't like ****ty sound of a diesel and smell from them. I'll never buy a diesel.
You're talking in circles. The diesel will always have more torque than a gas equivalent. I'm mostly interested in the smaller package Duramax 4.5L V8 right now. Diesel, especially biodiesel is the future. We may as well start embracing it now, rather than let the Europeans get the jump on us.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 AM

Displacement on demand puts undue stress on an engine to save 1 mpg. Biodiesel clogs injectors and some mfgs will void your warranty if you use it.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 AM

give me a turbo deisel 2 stroke
Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
Biodiesel clogs injectors and some mfgs will void your warranty if you use it.
That's mainly a problem with older, high mileage diesels. What I am suggesting is that manufacturers should design engines that intend for biodiesel to be used, thus preventing problems like clogging in design.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
Displacement on demand puts undue stress on an engine to save 1 mpg.
what stress? Compressing, and decompressing air when activated?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk

Wait till the new base Camaro comes out till you make that absurd judgement. I just don't understand the whole "it's just not a V8" mentality. I don't care what it's got as long as its fast and can put the power to the ground. Sound and size of my engine means very little when compared to dynosheets and timeslips.
Must be a cultural thing... Sorry if I offend but we had a V6 S/C option on the Monaro when the car was unveiled. It was quickly dropped because it was a poor seller. I'd have thought most of the Camaro sales would V8s, while the females buy up the V6s... but I guess I'm totally wrong.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 AM

Sorry, that wasn't based at you directly but more at the population of members that think that the V8 is the only way to achieve power. While that is mostly true, when you throw in forced induction (especially when offered from the factory) all the displacement issues are thrown out the window. At least in the power levels that the great majority of the members here want to reach.

I will have to agree with you about the perception about guys buying V8's and girls buying V6's. However, there was data showing a rather large percentage of V6 Mustang buyers were men (I think Guy posted it on another thread...actually it might be earlier in this thread. I didn't have time to reread the thread.) Hopefully, if what the elite few on this board said is true, then we will be pleasantly suprised with the performance of the new V6.