2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

The last V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 AM

The better question would be what advantages does a V6 have over a V8. Lately, V6 MPG is little different from more powerful V8s in the same car (the G8 for example). Add in the factors of trucks, torque, and cylinder deactivation, and I don't see the demise of the V8 anytime soon.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:56 AM

Does the cylinder configuration really matter that much? Displacement is really what's important. I would imagine you don't see smaller displacement V8's because at some point the pistons become too small and there's no good reason to make a 2 liter motor 8 cylinders.

As far as trucks and 6 cylinders go, Class 8 trucks actually have 11 to 15 liter straight 6 Diesels.

All that being said, I hope that the V8 continues for a long time because I love their sound and power characteristics, and I will pay a premium as well as suffer a mileage penalty for them if I have to.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Skeld
Does the cylinder configuration really matter that much? Displacement is really what's important. I would imagine you don't see smaller displacement V8's because at some point the pistons become too small and there's no good reason to make a 2 liter motor 8 cylinders.
Tell that to all the big block owners back in the 1960's that got smoked by a 302 cid (5.0L) Z/28.

Formula One uses 2.4L V8 engines that make over 700hp. Granted that is for racing purposes, however it goes to show that small displacement V8s can make big horsepower, however it comes at a price. I for one am still an advocate for manufacturers looking to lighter cars running NA sub 4.0L V8s for performance. However its a catch 22. Getting lighter also means getting smaller (in vehicle size) and there would come a point where you'd simply get the old big engine in a small package syndrome, which doesn't really work for a production passenger vehicle. To substitute that, they need to start thinking outside the box, and although many here don't like the notion, forced induction is often a cheaper and easier path to achieve one's goal.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Tell that to all the big block owners back in the 1960's that got smoked by a 302 cid (5.0L) Z/28.

Formula One uses 2.4L V8 engines that make over 700hp. Granted that is for racing purposes, however it goes to show that small displacement V8s can make big horsepower, however it comes at a price. I for one am still an advocate for manufacturers looking to lighter cars running NA sub 4.0L V8s for performance. However its a catch 22. Getting lighter also means getting smaller (in vehicle size) and there would come a point where you'd simply get the old big engine in a small package syndrome, which doesn't really work for a production passenger vehicle. To substitute that, they need to start thinking outside the box, and although many here don't like the notion, forced induction is often a cheaper and easier path to achieve one's goal.
I'm not trying to disprove any of your points here. But do keep in mind that a V6 has less friction to over come then a V8.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
I'm not trying to disprove any of your points here. But do keep in mind that a V6 has less friction to over come then a V8.
Agreed Stefan. That's why in another thread I (half jokingly) said that I wanted GM to consider a twin-turbo diesel V6 for the top dog powerplant for the 6th gen Camaro.

The point is, everyone is saying the V8 is dead because of fuel prices. If the gas crisis of the 1970's (when fuel simply wasn't available) didn't kill the V8, will this little price hiccup kill it? I think its going to take a lot more to do that. Additionally, the V8 package offers us other conveniences, like the ability of shut of half the cylinders to conserve fuel when not needed. (I can never figure out which three a V6 deactivates.) I guess what I'm advocating for is smaller more efficient V8s, thus keeping everyone happy. Possible? Yes. Practical? The jury is still out. However until we can get over the stigma and recognize that that the 2.0L turbo Ecotec puts out more power than some of the top V8s GM placed in the Camaro in the late 1980s, we're not go to evolve as enthusiasts... at least not like our Camaro is evolving.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Formula One uses 2.4L V8 engines that make over 700hp. Granted that is for racing purposes, however it goes to show that small displacement V8s can make big horsepower, however it comes at a price.
And the 3.0L V10's made 950+ hp and that pales in comparison to the turbo era. F1 is a different beast when talking about engine performance. It's said that the 5th Gen Camaro cost GM about $250 million; that's about what Scuderia Ferrari speands every year in F1.

Yes you can get big performance in smaller displacement V8's but the cost is much higher to get the reliability to where it needs to be.

Personally I don't see the V8 going anywhere. We are very lucky the Corvette can't live without it and the current V8's are so much better for trucks and deliver the power they really need that while the numbers will certainly drop I don't see them going to way of the dodo until the IC engine goes.

Last edited by 99SilverSS; 07-16-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 PM

Agreed Stefan. That's why in another thread I (half jokingly) said that I wanted GM to consider a twin-turbo diesel V6 for the top dog powerplant for the 6th gen Camaro.

The point is, everyone is saying the V8 is dead because of fuel prices. If the gas crisis of the 1970's (when fuel simply wasn't available) didn't kill the V8, will this little price hiccup kill it? I think its going to take a lot more to do that. Additionally, the V8 package offers us other conveniences, like the ability of shut of half the cylinders to conserve fuel when not needed. (I can never figure out which three a V6 deactivates.) I guess what I'm advocating for is smaller more efficient V8s, thus keeping everyone happy. Possible? Yes. Practical? The jury is still out. However until we can get over the stigma and recognize that that the 2.0L turbo Ecotec puts out more power than some of the top V8s GM placed in the Camaro in the late 1980s, we're not go to evolve as enthusiasts... at least not like our Camaro is evolving.
Yeah I agree with you. I think this entire thread is kind of a trivial to be honest. To say V8’s will die because of the current economic state is laughable. You and Guy have hit the nail on the head. You will see less V8’s and smaller ones basically because of technological advances.

I’ve had an open mind about different power plants in the Camaro pretty much since I had drinks with Scott back in 2006. (Just to let some of you know how long the 300hp V6 has been in consideration)

That said from and engineering standpoint, I think it’s stupid not to consider every option of power plant when developing a new vehicle. Everything should come into consideration. What is the car I’m designing demographic going to be? What sort of fuel economy goals does our project have? What will this vehicles main purpose be? What sort of engines and parts are in development in my company that can meet the goals of my project?

I am very confident that the leaders and project managers on the Camaro team did a very good job asking and answering these questions during the development of the 5th gen.

When the specifications are released next week, I think many people here won’t be quite as worried as they are now. ….then again…..there are also the less open minded people who are stuck in a mind-set form 20 years ago and cant comprehend the new Camaro will not live and die on the merits of its V8.

Everyone be open-minded

Last edited by stars1010; 07-16-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by TCMcQueen
You're probably right. I think I should go record my GTs exhaust note for my future V6 car. It'll be a cold day in hell when my car sounds like a high-powered lawn mower.

Naw, just hold on to the V8 you've got then you don't need to record it. There are plenty of V8 S-197 Mustangs to use as spares for years to come.

This has me thinking though, there might be a good market for an economical aftermarket aluminum 5.4 short block some years down the road...
Old 07-16-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by '88Saleen
yea ,diesel 6 cyl not gas 6 cyl. for heavy towing. A 6 cylinder gas engine does'nt produce the torque of a V8 gas engine even if the hp is the same. Alot of people don't like ****ty sound of a diesel and smell from them. I'll never buy a diesel.
They make quiet diesels now and with the 2007 Emission Standards, they are pretty clean regarding smoke and smell. The 2010 standards will further improve this.

Also inline 6 cylinders used to be used in certain applications...they just used gearing to make up for the torque.

F1 also revs their engines to what? 20k rpm They also have electronically actuated valves if I remember correctly, which could be a possibility in passenger cars if they ever switch over to the 42-volt battery system.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
Displacement on demand puts undue stress on an engine to save 1 mpg. Biodiesel clogs injectors and some mfgs will void your warranty if you use it.
Biodiesel will clean all the junk out of your fuel tank, thats why you have to change your fuel filter out so often, but after awhile I would think this would go away.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by cndctrdj
give me a turbo deisel 2 stroke
The best sounding engine ever!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by My Red 93Z-28
F1 also revs their engines to what? 20k rpm They also have electronically actuated valves if I remember correctly, which could be a possibility in passenger cars if they ever switch over to the 42-volt battery system.
Are they into e-valvetrains now. I thought it was all still pneumatic?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Are they into e-valvetrains now. I thought it was all still pneumatic?
They could be, I'm not really sure.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 PM

The V8 did almost die in the 1980s. Circa 1982, it was seen as being only in the Corvette (and trucks) by 1990 -- at least from GM. But then the second era of cheap oil hit, and V8s made a comeback. However, RWD did nearly go extinct in American passenger cars.