2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Looked at SRT8, how will top Camaro compare?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by falchulk
I dont know what srt8 you were driving but the Charger is definitely no soulless. Its a monster. Its also not dead quiet at an idle. There is lope in there. If it was too quiet for your taste all it takes is a new exhaust. The RT is too quiet at idle with the stock exhaust. Maybe you were driving an RT?
I've driven SRT8 Chargers, Magnums and 300's - and compared to my '99 Trans Am WS6 they were completely souless in my opinion. True, a modified exhaust would certainly be an option, but if I'm dropping $40k on a car from the Street Racing and Technology group I shouldn't have to.

And I'm not saying the car isn't a monster when pushed - it sure is. It's a fun car to drive hard, but for me it's just too refined when not pushed. The ride was softer and the overall feel behind the wheel was muted compared to my Trans Am - which btw, was my daily driver at the time with the exception of the month when I had to drive the SRT8's. My Trans Am was intimidating from the first time I started the engine - the faint rumble that you feel when sitting in the seat was fantastic. Even my wife noticed the difference between my Trans Am and the SRT8's and she's not into cars at all!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 AM

Comparing a WS6 and a SRT8 Charger is like comparing apples to oranges. One is a 2+ hatchback with little to no back seat, minimal trunk, and few creature comforts (by modern standards). The SRT8 Charger has unique style, great performance, awesome features like an incredible stereo that actually doesn't blow the speakers every year. Power windows that work. In dash Navigation, sat radio, very comfy seats, a real trunk, and a backseat with legroom to spare. AND 425 Hemi horses. SRT's get to 60mph in under 5 seconds STOCK (regardless to what the magazines say) and can do the 1/4 in nearly 13 flat. (some have hit the 12's stock). Not bad for a 4 door sedan. If not for the rebirth of the Camaro (my one true love) There would be NO question about it. I would be driving a SRT8 Challenger right now. Wait until next year when the SRT8 comes with a 6speed manual. I'll bet it holds its own quite well with Camaro (except in price) with 2 adults sitting comfortably in the back seat.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by radz282003
I think the top Camaro will do very well against an SRT8 when it finally comes out. I don't think it will come out 4000+ lbs. (well, I HOPE not.)
Unfortunately, you're going to need to get used to that.

In another thread a while back, someone begged for the last two digits of the Camaro SS's curb weight. One of the disciples obliged: 14 for the auto, 77 for the manual.

Figuring that the auto is the heavier of the two, I think that the most likely pairing is 3877 and 3914. I'd love to be a hundred high on that, but I just can't see that happening.

The ZR1's curb weight is 3350 pounds. The base LS3 Corvette is 3217. That's 133 more pounds, and the ZR1 has a bunch of carbon fiber parts to compensate for the added weight. We can therefore assume that adding a supercharger (plus upgrading the drivetrain to handle the power and adding a different hood, wider wheels and tires, and fender flares to accomodate them) will add at least 133 more pounds.

3877 + 133 = 4010. If you accept my original guess, that's your bare minimum weight for a supercharged Camaro.

4010 is still lighter than the Challenger SRT-8.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

In another thread a while back, someone begged for the last two digits of the Camaro SS's curb weight. One of the disciples obliged: 14 for the auto, 77 for the manual.

Figuring that the auto is the heavier of the two, I think that the most likely pairing is 3877 and 3914. I'd love to be a hundred high on that, but I just can't see that happening.

The ZR1's curb weight is 3350 pounds. The base LS3 Corvette is 3217. That's 133 more pounds, and the ZR1 has a bunch of carbon fiber parts to compensate for the added weight. We can therefore assume that adding a supercharger (plus upgrading the drivetrain to handle the power and adding a different hood, wider wheels and tires, and fender flares to accomodate them) will add at least 133 more pounds.

3877 + 133 = 4010. If you accept my original guess, that's your bare minimum weight for a supercharged Camaro.

Your numbers seem entirely reasonable to me, I just happen to think with the way money is nowadays and the push to make every drop of gas count, I think they will do their best to keep the weight to a minimum. Especially for a top model (again, assuming there is one.) Heavier cars seem to be the trend lately, so I may be off, but we'll be finding out soon enough. I hope I'm wrong
Old 07-16-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
Obviously too much body roll is scary, but I think it's actually less enjoyable to drive a car that stays perfectly upright through the corners. I'm probably not being clear, but the SRT8's that drove all rode more like high-powered Bonnevilles than pony cars.

Note that I didn't say Zeta was the *perfect* platform - in my experience there is no such thing. You'll never get a platform that has the ideal stiffness, structure, cost and weight for a car like Camaro because that platform won't be economically feasible for a wide range of applications - especially higher volume. But the Zeta platform is not just borrowed from a sedan like the LX platform is - the platform is being specifically modified for Camaro and Chrysler did (and does) not spend the time or money doing that for the SRT's.
News flash: the zeta is a full size four door platform.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM

News flash to you. The difference in weight between a 2 door and 4 is minimal. An example is the M3 Coupe weighs 22 pounds less than the M3 Sedan. The Camaro will be very close to the G8 weight which is 4000Lbs. In this day of electronics and safety standards it would be tough to get the weight down a whole lot. Wanna get a shock look at the weight of the Honda Civic which is almost 3000 lbs with a 4 banger, tiny size and manual trans.

Last edited by Pruettfan; 07-16-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
News flash to you. The difference in weight between a 2 door and 4 is minimal. An example is the M3 Coupe weighs 22 pounds less than the M3 Sedan. The Camaro will be very close to the G8 weight which is 4000Lbs. In this day of electronics and safety standards it would be tough to get the weight down a whole lot. Wanna get a shock look at the weight of the Honda Civic which is almost 3000 lbs with a 4 banger, tiny size and manual trans.
News flash to me? I know about these things. I use to work at Honda, the weight of the civic between a two door and a four dour was ~50 lbs. More important in what I wrote was that the Zeta is from a FULL SIZE vehicle (aka weight). You focused on the wrong part, you missed the point.

And, BTW, the civic isn't "tiny" anymore, it has more usable room than my mustang and my girlfriends camaro. It's about the size of a 94-98 Accord. They've grown quite a bit, this isn't the 90's anymore. And with it's impressive engineering, does quite well in crash ratings while keeping the weight down.

Last edited by TrickStang37; 07-16-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
If performance counted, we'd still have Camaros and the Mustang would have been on hiatus. Even though I'm a performance fan, to be honest, I couldn't care less if the new Camaro outperforms Challenger or even Mustang. I'm going for the car that best suits what I need, want, and is a priority. And so will probably 99% of the new car buyers. If Camaro is the slowest of the group, but still is closer to what I want, it will win just like Mustang and Challenger will win my cash if either one of them comes closest to what I need or want. All 3 are extremely quick. All 3 handle extremely well. One isn't likely to embarass the others, so it's down to personal items.

Do I care if 1 car is .2 seconds quicker in the quarter mile? Nope. How often does anyone take their car to the drag strip. Do I care if a car gets around a test track in Germany I will never drive a few seconds quicker than another? Uh..nope.

What I DO care about is that the car is well made. That when I sit inside it, I like what I see and feel.

I drive long distances, are the seats something I can live on the Interstate with till I have to refuel again?

Sure, the car may blaze around a smooth racetrack, but does it feel comfortable zipping around sometimes bumpy and uneven curves of Highway 1? Is the steering well balenced and gives great feedback? Does the transmission shifter flow smoothly into each gear? Does the brakes haul down the car like nobody's business? When it's time to replace things, is it going to take me to the cleaners (Brembo brake replacement parts aren't cheap)?

Finally, is it a car I'm going to enjoy without any regrets for the duration of the car payments.

Yes, price, interior, and trunk space are big players, and give the Challenger the edge. But as I mentioned, the jury's still out to answer the questions I posted above.

I see Challenger R/T is a much quicker modern version of the Thunderbird SC. Big roomy, and very, very fast (positive). I see the current Mustang (as opposed to the very different previous version) as a step sideways from my 4th gen Camaro. It's just as wide and drives, handles, and feels very similar to my 4th gen (including acceleration). The new Camaro is an unknown quanity. Sure, it came off a G8 chassis, but there is so many different componets, tuning, tweaks, and weight distribution and chassis dynamics, there is no way in know what this car is like until you actually take one out and see (and compare) for yourself.

The Challenger R/T has the edge with me right now. But that can be lost if Camaro SS:

* Undercuts the R/T's price... not by a few dollars, but by a few thousand dollars.
* The interior materials on the camaro make up for the spartan look of the concept.
* The SS rides better, it's seats are better, and it just feels better than the R/T.
* Has a better back seat area than the Challenger, or at least can carry live people older than 4.
* Is overall a much better deal than the R/T.

The V6 Camaro already by all indications blows away the V6 Challenger. The Challenger won't be slow, but the Camaro seem to have the right package down to a manual. The Z28 (assuming it's the same price of the SRT, but I doubt it) will be packing alot more horses for the money, though it still won't be cheap... or lightweight... gets my tentative nod over the Challenger SRT8.

But again, in the R/T versus the SS contest, the jury is waiting for more information.
Exact reason why I bought a GTO. Might not be stylish but it handles well, is very comfortable for long distance, great power and engine sound, good ergonomics and built like a tank. While it's fast enough right now, a pair of turbos will take care of future power needs. But when I consider engine mods and upgrading to a Pedder suspension I might be approaching the same overall costs as a new Camaro Z-28. We'll see what happens to resale value in the long run and money spent on modding. Since many don't like the styling, only it's performance will make it rare...and survivability. Many people just don't realize the power of this car and they're getting stacked up at an alarming rate. But I still like my 68 Camaro and the new one should be awesome.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

Assuming the supercharged Camaro makes it through the release process, it'll probably be more like 4100 pounds, according to comments posted on this site. Your reasoning above is very sensible. In addition, I consider it highly unlikely that the supercharged Camaro will have the MSRP necessary to support the same weight saving equipment that the ZR1 benefits from.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Cutting to the chase, if I were buying a V6, it would be no contest. The Chevy Camaro with it's 50/50 weight distribution, direct injection V6 of over 300 horsepower and high fuel economy, along with a manual tranny and performance tuned suspension makes it a no brainer next to the Challenger's auto only, "afterthought" mentality of the V6 version. It won't be a dog, but Camaro's version will corner the V6=fun market even better than the Mustang will manage.

Between the SS Camaro and R/T Challenger, I'd say the jury is still hearing the case. We need a) the actual weight of the Camaro, and b) the actual output of the engine, and c) the gearing and d) the performance and fuel mileage of the production version of both cars before one can make a final judgement. That goes without mentioning driving characteristics and interior room as well as general feel and quality of materials and how trhe cockpit actually feels. Things one can't possibly objectively judge until both cars are available. At the moment, I'd give the edge to Challenger R/T, but that's tentative.

And finally, between the Z28 and the SRT. Based on what I know and nothing else, I'd say the supercharged Z28 would get my nod over the SRT8 Challenger... but conditionally.
If the SS actually has the LS3, I'd say it lines up against the SRT8 and not the R/T. The horsepower and torque are nearly identical the to SRT8, and the SS will weigh less. It should be faster.

If the SS has the engine from the G8 (I've not seen any rumors to that effect), then it will line up against the R/T.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by 6806goats
Exact reason why I bought a GTO. Might not be stylish but it handles well, is very comfortable for long distance, great power and engine sound, good ergonomics and built like a tank. While it's fast enough right now, a pair of turbos will take care of future power needs. But when I consider engine mods and upgrading to a Pedder suspension I might be approaching the same overall costs as a new Camaro Z-28. We'll see what happens to resale value in the long run and money spent on modding. Since many don't like the styling, only it's performance will make it rare...and survivability. Many people just don't realize the power of this car and they're getting stacked up at an alarming rate. But I still like my 68 Camaro and the new one should be awesome.

Actually, I may be one of the few, but I really like the last gen GTO's.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM

I just built and priced out an 09 challenger R/T the way I would get it and similar to what my Camaro will be and it came to over $37,000 I hope the SS is significantly cheaper.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:45 PM

GOOD LAWD!! Id idnt even come near that!
I picked the RT with MDS and 5spd auto, with the upgraded radio, no sun roof, no stripes, no heated seats or sirus radio.
Just over 30k. If SS ends up around that....I might round out my collection....
72 RS, 87 Z28, 10 SS.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM

I went with sunroof, MyGIG, 20" wheels, leather seats and a 6 speed. I could do with out MyGIG though which was 1300
Old 07-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Black5thgen
I went with sunroof, MyGIG, 20" wheels, leather seats and a 6 speed. I could do with out MyGIG though which was 1300
F mygig. I cant wait till the exclusive license for sync runs out. Unless Ford pays through the nose to keep it we should see it across the big 3's line up.

Quick Reply: Looked at SRT8, how will top Camaro compare?