2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Magazine rumor rehash....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:48 AM

Magazine rumor rehash....

Just going back and remembering what some of the magazine and internet rumors were regarding the 5th gen can be fun.

Let's see....

- Zeta is Sigma, but with less aluminum.

- The Camaro will be built off of the SSR platform.....which will be Sigma Lite.

- The Camaro will be built in Australia.

Any others? There's a million of 'em.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:21 AM

Here's an excerpt from a MT story. In their defense, this is 5 years old.
That's where Holden, GM's Australian automaker, may come in. Its new Commodore sedan and upcoming Commodore-based coupe will also be built on the Sigma platform. Some have postulated that the Camaro's best chance for returning in a few years is as a North American version of the big Holden coupe -- built in Australia. Given current production limitations, it may be more affordable, and logistically feasible, to import a Camaro from Down Under, rather than establish a new assembly line Stateside. GM Brand staff have acknowledged that scenario would present a marketing hurdle for a classic American nameplate.

Built in Australia or North America, any car bearing the Camaro name will have to be available with a V-8 engine. Expect the current powertrain relationship with the Corvette to continue, with the C6 passing along its Gen IV small-block pushrod V-8 evolved from the current Gen III LS1/LS6 V-8s. Notable advances include 8-6-4 cylinder cutoff system and a drive-by-wire system to enhance fuel efficiency on the highway and offer light, precise throttle around town.

Another important engineering consideration is the type of rear axle. Sigma provides an independent rear suspension, but we do not expect this to be used on the Camaro for cost savings and product differentiation. An independent axle offers large benefits in terms of ride and handling and increased interior room. But there are weight, tire wear, and reliability issues with a rear-drive, independent system -- particularly if a tire-frying powertrain is adopted. Currently, GM is tickled with its decision to stay live axle in the midsize truck program (GMT 360, Chevrolet TrailBlazer, et al). It rides and handles quite well. And no doubt, a passenger-car version could be readily created for a rugged, inexpensive, high-powered coupe.

Approval and budget to create a new, specific platform sounds like a near insurmountable task given the bottom-line pressure to employ fewer, global platforms. At best, a Sigma variant could be created by clever engineers and serve as the basis for other vehicles, such as a GTO or Nomad. It is interesting to note that the Nomad concept shown in Detroit 1999 was constructed on an F-chassis. Indeed, the Aztek-ugly GTO and Nomad 1999 concepts were more serious proposals than the media and public were led to understand.

With all these fuzzy-edged puzzle pieces laid out on the table, how do they fit together? It is too early in the development process to know for certain what the outcome will be. However, in digesting, debating, and forecasting, we can distill the plans down to these possible scenarios:
--Camaro and Firebird simply disappear in 2002.
--The next-generation Camaro could be developed off a "light" Sigma platform, following an evolutionary direction.
--Chevrolet Monte Carlo and Pontiac GTO could be co-developed, possibly with rear drive.
--Perhaps we might see a 1960s-inspired Camaro coupe and Nomad sibling.
--Or maybe there will be no Camaro, but front-wheel-drive Monte Carlo gets Vortec V-8 instead.

Whether evolutionary or heritage in direction, we anticipate a fifth-generation Camaro that will push the legendary marque's performance and liveability to new levels.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Was that from the MT where they were trying to figure out future Mustangs and Camaros?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 PM

I’ve seen the 5.3L as a possible engine option print more times than I can count over the past year.

It’s been known here for quite a while that it will not be used
Old 11-06-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
I’ve seen the 5.3L as a possible engine option print more times than I can count over the past year.

It’s been known here for quite a while that it will not be used

That was an earlier possibility.

I remember telling someone something about the 5.3 and the Camaro in confidence a long time ago. Anyway, the person I told, misunderstood me and got the story wrong. After they posted what they thought I had said on a site, it spread all over the internet. Later it was even in print. I found that very entertaining.

Last edited by Z284ever; 11-06-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:18 PM

Wasn't there a thread a while back confirming the C-car in Canada somewhere.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:22 PM

how about every car magazine thinking that the Camaro, GTO, Corvette, etc. will still be using the LS2/LS7 in a couple years? They don't do any research whatsoever when it comes to the engines they're spewing out. An idiot could do a better job.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
Wasn't there a thread a while back confirming the C-car in Canada somewhere.
yes and GM started that one.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SMUJeremy
Boy I bet those guys are red in the face now.
Sadly, they aren't, they just continue to spew baseless rumors and never look back.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
That was an earlier possibility.

I remember telling someone something about the 5.3 and the Camaro in confidence a long time ago. Anyway, the person I told, misunderstood me and got the story wrong. After they posted what they thought I had said on a site, it spread all over the internet. Later it was even in print. I found that very entertaining.
Ahh….well the first “in the know” person I asked told me straight up it wasn’t happening…..
Old 11-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Wasn't there a rumour of a Papa Smurf edition?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:15 PM

Camaro to return in 2007.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by number77
Camaro to return in 2007.

Hey, I am still holding my breath.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by casull
Hey, I am still holding my breath.
So am I. I've been hoping to see them by summer, but it doesn't look promising.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:29 PM

All the ridiculous photoshops I though were good for a laugh . People were hackin parts of anything and globbing it all together

Quick Reply: Magazine rumor rehash....