2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

My Camaro and GM worries~

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM

My Camaro and GM worries~

I am worried about the future of the General. I have been watching their stock for a while and roughly in less than 6 months it dropped est. 75%

THAT is 75% lost !

GM has plenty of Tahoes, Pickups, Suburbans, AVys, etc. that are / will not sell even with 72 mo intrest free.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but remember when the braintrust at GM dumped all it's resources and put ZETA on hold to get the new TAHOE line out ?

Imagine if they did pay attention to ZETA and had plenty of CARS out now, instead of large suvs sitting on lots.

Really, what is it going to take to move these SUVs, alot more than 72mos, i think.

I think this lack of sales will really will effect the price of the Camaro and put the SS / z28 in the 40's. With the economy so bad I doubt I will have 40k, so I am keeping my 00 SS. ( no complaints )( but I think there are many like me)

Now they are selling Malibu's and maybe a Acadia but what else ? Additionally there are crappy rebates or incentives on these units.Price for price on a lease Toyota Camary vs a Malibu, the Camry kills it by price. GM leases are terrible. If I had to right now I would go with the Camry Lease ( 199mo, with 1600 down, 12kmi-3yr)

I don't know what the future for holds for the General but it looks like they are soo far behind in CARS and what the public NEEDS , not wants. Sure I want a huge AVy that would haul the family to mars comfortably but I NEED a good economical sedan. Imagine if the General had an IMPREZZA type car. Econ, Sedan, Sport, Comp. that line does it all, with AWD for all conditions.

Maybe they can turn it around but GM stock is only 5-6$ off of FORD and that is almost JUNK Bond material.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 PM

All MFG's are on hard times except for Honda. Even Toyota is not doing as well as they had expected.

Right now GM is in the best shape of all the American companies.

Word is out now Chrysler may either go bankrupt of be broken up and sold.

Ford is right now banking on the Future Focus and Taurus. They have passed on plug in electric cars as they can not afford them if they fail. If GM ands Toyota plug in works and grow FOrd will be in a world of hurt.

GM is not in a good postion but they are not going to fade away. We will see a lot of change in the future. Market readjustments and a lot of smaller more efficent cars have been moved to the front burner. In a away it is a good thing GM never got all the Zetas out as they once had hoped as they would all have had a short life in this market. OF all that had a shot was the Camaro as many people will not use them as daily drivers as they would an Impala.

The future will be rough and many of the changes will not all be what we want to see. But GM will make it thorugh it all one way or another.

This is not the first time GM has face a bleak future. They have the toold to make it abeit a changed company.

What does not kill you only makes you stronger.

He who can adapt to smaller more efficent cars the fastest will win. Honda was already there but Toyota Nissan and the rest have gotten larger and less efficent over the years. Time will show how all the players end up. In the end GM I feel will still be a player.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 PM

I don't think zeta cars would have helped. They are large and not very fuel efficient either. And, I don't think this is the correct forum.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 PM

come on...it's a good time to BUY!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:46 PM

I think GM is in the best shape out of the 3 American car makers. I hear so many people say that "I am not going to get a Mustang or Challenger because I am waiting on the new Camaro." GM had a head start in fuel efficient vehicles amongst the American makers. Even their most powerful engines are good on gas such as the LSA, LS9 for the power they distribute. Right now everyone isn't doing so hot, but I feel strongly GM will get through this storm.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 PM

Recently i visited a chevy dealership because i wanted to see pricing on their cobalts. I drive a ford ranger, and wanted to see a trade in value, plus the fact i owned another gm product they offered me a 5,000 dollar off incentive. All in all i could have rolled out with a 2009 chevy cobalt (mostly basic) for 7,000 dollars. But after careful thinking i need my truck for the winters/ hauling etc.. and turned down the offer, plus im a semi broke college student fixing up his ride.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
All MFG's are on hard times except for Honda. Even Toyota is not doing as well as they had expected.

Right now GM is in the best shape of all the American companies.
Nope. GM's stock has droped the most. Ford and Chrysler has more relative money right now than GM.

Word is out now Chrysler may either go bankrupt of be broken up and sold.
Chrysler has plenty of money and resources right now. The issue is that they need CARS, and their too dependent on trucks, Jeeps, and minivans.

Ford is right now banking on the Future Focus and Taurus. They have passed on plug in electric cars as they can not afford them if they fail. If GM ands Toyota plug in works and grow FOrd will be in a world of hurt.
Wrong again. The Volt will be start in the upper $30,000 range according to the latest.

The Toyota Prius has sold 79,675 Prius models so far this year, and 15,011 in May.

Not only has Prius sales DROPPED 40% over last year, but it's been absolutely buried by the sales of Ford's Focus (105,499 for the year & 32,579 for May). The Ford Fusion was right behind Prius in YTD sales (73,197) and blew by it in May blowing by the Prius by selling 18,088.

Ford will hardly be in a world of hurt based on the success or failue of GM or Toyota's hybrids or "Plug Ins" coming in the future. Ford's car sales are UP by over 2%. Compare that with Toyota (down .2%) and GM (down 13.8%).

He who can adapt to smaller more efficent cars the fastest will win. Honda was already there but Toyota Nissan and the rest have gotten larger and less efficent over the years. Time will show how all the players end up. In the end GM I feel will still be a player.
Ford has has finally gotten it. They have quality nailed, they have great cars in the pipeline, but cars take time to get through development and into showrooms. Ford's issue is that they need to stay afloat till these vehicles get into showrooms. Their threat is that they run out of money first.

Chrysler's problem is that they still have that cheap-car mentality. They made the 300 & Charger which actually are pretty good quality, well made cars. Then they had a relapse, and created the Sebring & Avenger with materials that wouldn't even be viewed as average quality in the 90s. While the competition has Malibus and Fusions, Chrysler's offerings are old school rental quality. They need to change that ASAP or their toast.

GM, on the other hand, is threatened by their own organizational setup that hinders the ability to move quickly the way Ford and Chrysler can.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:06 AM

I plan to buy my Camaro in December 2009/ January 2010, but I hope and pray that I can find 0% interest financing on a camaro. I hate interest and i am goingto do all I can do to to stay away from it. I really hope the American car companies bunch back from
this slump. The things I am really upset about with gm is that they outsourced jobs and took away jobs from Americans. Whats the point of being proud of an American brand if its products aren't being created in America? Any who I just wish Gm and the other American car companies the best of luck
Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Nope. GM's stock has droped the most. Ford and Chrysler has more relative money right now than GM.

Chrysler has plenty of money and resources right now. The issue is that they need CARS, and their too dependent on trucks, Jeeps, and minivans.

Wrong again. The Volt will be start in the upper $30,000 range according to the latest.

The Toyota Prius has sold 79,675 Prius models so far this year, and 15,011 in May.

Not only has Prius sales DROPPED 40% over last year, but it's been absolutely buried by the sales of Ford's Focus (105,499 for the year & 32,579 for May). The Ford Fusion was right behind Prius in YTD sales (73,197) and blew by it in May blowing by the Prius by selling 18,088.

Ford will hardly be in a world of hurt based on the success or failue of GM or Toyota's hybrids or "Plug Ins" coming in the future. Ford's car sales are UP by over 2%. Compare that with Toyota (down .2%) and GM (down 13.8%).

Ford has has finally gotten it. They have quality nailed, they have great cars in the pipeline, but cars take time to get through development and into showrooms. Ford's issue is that they need to stay afloat till these vehicles get into showrooms. Their threat is that they run out of money first.

Chrysler's problem is that they still have that cheap-car mentality. They made the 300 & Charger which actually are pretty good quality, well made cars. Then they had a relapse, and created the Sebring & Avenger with materials that wouldn't even be viewed as average quality in the 90s. While the competition has Malibus and Fusions, Chrysler's offerings are old school rental quality. They need to change that ASAP or their toast.

GM, on the other hand, is threatened by their own organizational setup that hinders the ability to move quickly the way Ford and Chrysler can.
As state on Autoblog just a few days ago Chryslers poarent owner is ready to dump them due to poor cash.

As for the Volt it is expected to be $40,000 not 30K and not make a profit. It is a First shot to lead to other cars that will make a profit if it helps create a plug in market.

Prius sales are down because of supply. If you don't have them you cant sell them.

GM has reacted by getting the new Cobalt replacment moved up at Lordstown and are working on other small cars while delaying trucks and other large cars.

Fords issue is they were so dependent on truck they are holding on till they get the new cars out. They caught a break with the Focus that went from out cast to hot seller because of high gas and better marketing.

Chrysler quality is not what it should be with cheap interiors and all. Thye really have few small cars and just released the Challanger a new full size truck. Poor timing and lack of vehicles that will do more than 30 MPG will haunt them well.

GM will lose aqt least 1-2 divisions and overseas sales are still good. NA is the big problem and while they may bleed a little more they have a littl emore blood to give. THey may not have ready cash but they have things they can still sell or cust to create more cash.

GM will make it but I never siad it would be easy.

Fprd Stock has dropped like a rock till they showed where they were going. It is still early in the changes we see so far and we will see what GM plans on doing soon, they have yet to show their hand.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 AM

The reason the Focus and Fusion are outselling the Prius is due to lack of supply. I went to a Toyota dealer to look at the Camry Hybrid. I was told that there is a backlog of Toyota Hybrids because they can't make the battery packs fast enough. In my area there is an 8 month wait for the Prius and a 3 month wait for the Camry Hybrid. I asked how do you test drive one if they don't have one on the lot. He said you don't. You order one, and several months later you drive it for the first time.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Thumbs up No Chance

0% intrest will not be found on new manufactured vehicle..... on on vehicle that sell. Take the Nissan Z... they will never have 0% on that vehicle. The Pontiac Grand Priz GTP is another prime example.

Originally Posted by FAD1
I plan to buy my Camaro in December 2009/ January 2010, but I hope and pray that I can find 0% interest financing on a camaro. I hate interest and i am goingto do all I can do to to stay away from it. I really hope the American car companies bunch back from
this slump. The things I am really upset about with gm is that they outsourced jobs and took away jobs from Americans. Whats the point of being proud of an American brand if its products aren't being created in America? Any who I just wish Gm and the other American car companies the best of luck
Old 07-01-2008, 03:50 PM

Ford won't be hurt in the short term with this, but in the long term, they will be having problems if they can't catch up. As stated, hybrids are in short supply and manufacturing hasn't been able to keep up with demand. There is a huge future in the technology. I expect in 10 years that all cars will have a minimal hybrid system in them.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned

Awwwwwwww
Chrysler as I have been saying will be out of Business within the next 2 years.
Who owns Chrysler,Its a canadian Hedege fund and as I said they don't know anything abour cars.A very bad investment,they should have let Chrysler die a long time ago....

As for Ford
I don't think they will do well
I think Ford will be bought out from a chinese company.
I don't care how many Mustangs they sell(I own a 2006 Stang Gt}

As for GM
Yep their 72 hour truck sale was not a big hit,they extended it for another few days.
Last month GMs Stock was at $23 ashare
Today it was $10.71 as a low 53 year low for GM.
GM for many years didnot care about the car business,they were making their money on their trucks and with their cars they were breaking even.
GM does says that they will not make a profit in 2009,makes yea wonder???
As for the Camaro SS I think we will be able to get the car for Wayyyyyyyy under Msrp and maybe invoice.People that think that the car will be over Msrp must be smoking some pretty good dope.

As for the VOLT
I am sure many dealers will try and jack the price up way over MSRP.
So where is the savings??????
Funny thing if 1 out of 10 cars within the next 5-10 years are Electric cars.
And everyones plugs them in when they get home from work.
There will be many BLACKOUTSSSSSSS in our homes....
You think I am Wrong??????
Old 07-01-2008, 08:06 PM

GM and Ford just need to make it to 2010. In 2010, the savings from the VEBA will add up to Billions of dollars that will go right to the bottom line. So if they lose $5 Billion this year, in 2010, that would at least break even because of the VEBA savings. They just need to survive for 18 months!

-Geoff
Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 PM

Well I know all of you are talking about the big picture, but I thought I would post this link up to talk about the "now". http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/...ap5174588.html . In the story, it says how GM sales are down 18.2% from a year ago while Toyota is in the hole 21.2% and Ford is down 27.9%. They don't really talk about Chrysler because lets face it, their time has passed and they are sinking. I think their sales are living off that $2.99 gas guarantee crap which isn't even that good. Anyway, according to sales figures, GM isn't doing so bad, yet their stocks completely suck. I'm going to take a look at ford's share history and see how bad they have taken a hit.(May take me a while)

Edit: Looks like Ford's shares are at about a 25 year low, so I don't think GM is doing that bad.

Last edited by NJNETSFAN; 07-01-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: My Camaro and GM worries~