2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

My concerns of the GT500-ization of the Camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 AM

My concerns of the GT500-ization of the Camaro.

Is anyone else concerned that GM will take a look at the mind numbing porkiness of the GT500 and feel that it gives them validity for an overweight Camaro?

I am.

Zeta is a big, heavy, architecture to begin with, (heavier than it really needs to be)...which usually results in big, heavy cars. Maybe I'm reading the tea leaves wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a heavier than GTO, Camaro - which would be a disaster IMO.

If it comes in that heavy, I think I'll be so turned off, that I simply won't be able to buy one. Which sort of pisses me off, since I've been waiting since the '90's for one.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 AM

Re: My concerns of the GT500-ization of the Camaro.

i think they are very concious of the weight, and they will do their best to make it as light as possible while still being able to price it where they want.. i'm optimistic
Old 06-01-2006, 10:30 AM

I sincerely hope that GM reduces whatever weight it can.. now I'm not saying that i don't understand where they are coming from.. all the mandates for safety etc. bigger everything (motors, plumbing, electrical components etc. etc.) but I hope that the engineers really look into the weight issue.

Dave Hill made sure that weight was a very important criteria for parts etc. going so far as the wheels and tires i believe (from what i recall about ACAR) for the C5/6 but if the Camaro isn't an "approved" vehicle yet who would be in charge of such decisions..

I hope that enough uproar from the Ford camp over the weight helps GM steer clear of those kinds of similar figures, I mean the GT500 is out and we should get the verdict from the consumers (mags are already on it's case about it..) and perhaps GM will see what kind of weight would be ideal for that group of buyers (me included)

I'm realistic that weight will be an issue but it's across the board in the industry today... BUT i hope that GM doesn't simply copy the GT500 formula and just stay on par with the competition.. this is their chance to really one up the competition and stay ahead of the curve and makes logical business sense to GM as well (obviously less weight = better fuel economy, less mass travelling etc.)

Last edited by ced8; 06-01-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:39 AM

Perhaps they'll look at it and be relieved at how lighter the Camaro is.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:21 AM

I'm pretty sure we will save nearly 300lbs by the powerplant alone. Remember, the blown 5.4 in the GT500 weighs 700lbs. Ford's horses are much heavier than ours... I'm not overly concerned.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ced8
I sincerely hope that GM reduces whatever weight it can.. now I'm not saying that i don't understand where they are coming from.. all the mandates for safety etc. bigger everything (motors, plumbing, electrical components etc. etc.) but I hope that the engineers really look into the weight issue.
It's not just that. The structure itself is overweight, with no practical means to reduce it, short of starting from scratch.

And what can this be traced to? Apparently, Holden's stretched engineering resources. It takes alot more time, effort and engineering to design a lighter structure than a heavier one. So heavier it is.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Well from what I have been told if comes out will be smaller than the concept in every way but done to scale so as the looks are not changed at all. Smaller but done in exact scale to the concept and they will figure away for more head room for tall people. I think they will make us as happy with weight as fits all the needs to be met.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mike2001SS
Well from what I have been told if comes out will be smaller than the concept in every way but done to scale so as the looks are not changed at all.
How do you figure that?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
How do you figure that?
A couple of things on that. 1st it was said at the start it was 2 wide for some haulers and a little to big. 2nd they do not have the stamping machines or molds for the car set up in a plant yet so they can still make any part to scale no problem and I was told last weekend it would be a little smaller but to scale but you will not notice it when done to scale.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
It's not just that. The structure itself is overweight, with no practical means to reduce it, short of starting from scratch.

And what can this be traced to? Apparently, Holden's stretched engineering resources. It takes alot more time, effort and engineering to design a lighter structure than a heavier one. So heavier it is.
Isn’t the Zigma based off Zeta and Sigma that was in development very early on? Sigma isn’t heavy and fits most of N/A bills of process right.. so why use Holden’s engineering in place of N/A engineering work already done for Sigma? Are they that different structurally?

Am I right in assuming that the new structure is a ZIGMA in the first place?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ced8
Am I right in assuming that the new structure is a ZIGMA in the first place?

Nope. That was one of the initial proposals last year when Zeta was cancelled, but Camaro will be all carryover from Zeta.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike2001SS
A couple of things on that. 1st it was said at the start it was 2 wide for some haulers and a little to big. 2nd they do not have the stamping machines or molds for the car set up in a plant yet so they can still make any part to scale no problem and I was told last weekend it would be a little smaller but to scale but you will not notice it when done to scale.
If that's the case, that's encouraging.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:23 AM

OT: My biggest concern is the high fuel prices impacting Camaro sales.

Being late to the party, GM could struggle to shift the required number of Camaros whereas Mustang has seen sales peak during what could be termed 'the golden period'.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:55 AM

I'm also hoping that GM is looking at that GT500 weight figure right now and grinning. Scott himself said weight is a big priority for the company as a whole. Hopefully they'll do everything possible to keep weight down in the 5th gen, even if its core is a boat anchor.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98
I'm also hoping that GM is looking at that GT500 weight figure right now and grinning. Scott himself said weight is a big priority for the company as a whole. Hopefully they'll do everything possible to keep weight down in the 5th gen, even if its core is a boat anchor.
I hope that they are laughing hysterically, vs getting inspiration.

I know what they want the car to come in at...and I know how overweight the carryover Zeta structure is......the two don't reconcile.

Like I said, hopefully I'm misreading the tealeaves.

Quick Reply: My concerns of the GT500-ization of the Camaro.