2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

The new Camaro will likely bring an end to.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:21 AM

The new Camaro will likely bring an end to.......

......160+ mph top speeds.

Ungoverned 3700 pound 400 horse GTOs can approach 170, and LS1 Camaros can go about 162-165 depending on who you believe. But the new one is hardly likely to approach those speeds.

4th gen Camaros aerodynamics wasn't nearly as great as you'd expect, but the new Camaro has a blunt full width grille, doesn't have it's wintunnel developed fastback hatch, has it's wheels pulled out to the body, & has a less radical rake to the windshield.

Alot can be countered by attention to underside aerodynamics, but looking at the CAD of the the underbody, there isn't that much to look forward to.

In the translation from concept to production, there will be alot of aerodynamic "tuning" of Camaro, but like was stated in another thread by another member, blunt nose Mustangs (the last SN95 editions as well as the new current version) begin to hit an aerodynamic wall under 140, and forcing the car through the air beyond that makes the car "squrrelly".

The 4th gen, while not really aerodynamic, was designed in the wind tunnel for decent stability at high speeds. The 5th gen is designed to look great, but it's likely going to lose top speed.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

Re: The new Camaro will likely bring an end to.......

but how many people actually hit 160 anyways? most guys dont build them fast enough to hit that in the 1/4, the highways are no place to hit those speeds, and I don't think too many people have access to the talladega track.
If you're looking in the future to a nascar vehicle, the bodies are so far modified that it doesn't matter what the car looked like to begin with. The same goes for NHRA, the bodies on those cars don't resemble the actual car one bit. I bet if you took all the stickers and paint off of those top fuel funny cars and put every body next to eachother, you'd hardly be able to tell the difference.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
The 4th gen, while not really aerodynamic, was designed in the wind tunnel for decent stability at high speeds. The 5th gen is designed to look great, but it's likely going to lose top speed.
The gearing of the 5th gen will also measure heavily in its top speed. I don't know about the Cd numbers for the 4th gen, but with its last minute styling alterations I doubt it has as much time put into high speed, wind tunnel testing.

Of course, everyone could debate just how important a 150/160/170 mph top speed is for a Camaro. I understand Corvette seeking such heights for world credibility, but I'm not so sure it'll weaken the image of a Camaro if it's not there.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 AM

I'm not too worried about it. Only ricers seem to care about top speed anyway.

The cure is more HP, though the faster you are going the exponentially more HP you need to continue accelerating.

Aerodynamics are essentially made up of 1) drag and 2) frontal area. I imagine although the 5thgen's CD will be up vs. the 4th gen, the frontal area will be similar as the overal height and width are about the same.

I don't think it will drop off as much as you think Guy. A lot of the Mustang's issues were due to its overall height (high frontal area) exposed wipers and things like that as well as a lack of HP and slightly steeper gearing.

Even an LT1 f-body was said to be able to hit 150+
Old 03-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Bert02SS

I agree with shock. Top speed is an interesting data point, sort of a "bragging rights" thing, but in terms of everyday life, simply irrelevant. 1/4 times, 0-60, stopping distances, lateral g's, etc. all seem to apply more to most guy's driving experiences.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 AM

Top speed doesn't matter, really. If the 5th gen can hit 150, that's enough.

If you want top speed, get a car designed to go that fast. Get a vette, to be honest.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 AM

I've been in a few friends stangs at 125+...its almost like turbulence...well i guess thats what it is, its scary either way.

Whats the CD on a 4th gen...anyone know?
the 3rd gen was somewhere between .32 .34 i think.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:51 AM

So the Z/28 won't be able to take on Ferraris on the top end?

If the aerodynamics are as bad as you say they are, GM better make 1-5 some really really agressive gears with 6 being a heavy heavy overdrive.

Last edited by number77; 03-30-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:55 AM

I think the 4th gens were .34 cd.

The 3rd gen was the first F-body designed with aero in mind IMO. Particularly before the days of overdrives, top speed was much more mechanically limited than aero limited.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 AM

Eithre way I hope they clean up the Aero's.. When/If I get a 5th gen, I'll probably follow the trend of my 4th gen.. Drive it around and have some fun with it the first 3 years... Then after warranty is done, and loans are paid off, bring it to the open track days at the roadcourse... I don't want the car to fall flat or feel wierd going down the front and back straights at well into triple digits.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:04 AM

camaro
LS1 .34
LT1 .32

LT1 firebird .34
convertible .36

third gens have around the same #'s both camaro and firebird.. can't find any hard details on that though (firebird and camaro about the same).. the newer the lower the CoD, though.

C6 is .28

mustangs:
94/95 is .37
whereas the late 80s'/early 90s Mustangs are about .41

Those are from google searching, and those numbers appear quite a few places.. take them with a grain of salt, though, to get the taste you want
Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 AM

The only things that worry me about it really are Perception and bragging rights for the car.

I mean i'm at the track a lot, i used to race a lot on the street when i was a little younger(stuupidder), but my car has only seen 160+ maybe twice that i can remember.

I imagine the average person...hitting 100mph once, feeling like they just killed someone and never thinking about it again.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:29 AM

If the 2 ton 425 hp blunt nosed charger SRT8 can hit 160 the Camaro should have no problem.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Bert02SS

Whenever you refer to Cd, you have to also consider the frontal area. But I agree with Falchuck, if the chubby, flat-faced Charger can do 160, the Camaro should, too. At least the Camaro LOOKS way better.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 PM

Though not the most important aspect of the car by any means...I like knowing I 'could' go XXXmph if I wanted to / had to.

Quick Reply: The new Camaro will likely bring an end to.......